Do you have a YOM license plate on your car ?

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

That looks new!

Bought the set restored two years ago when I moved to California. The guy has a website, and when I saw the address I realized he was about 10 minutes from me. So I drove my Packard over to get the plates. He had an awesome vintage sign collection, too.

15 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Ply33 - thank you for the information, did not know that at all. Here in NY you get clearance via mail by the state DMV with the photo you have to submit of the YOM plates you want for your car. Then each year renew the annual fee that is now up to $53.75 . they send a sticker for your windshield that you have to stick on next to the annual inspection you have to get by a service station licensed to do so ( the inspection is a safety inspection - wipes work, tail lights work, ) If you register the car with regular plates I believe they base the fee on how heavy the car is!  That is ok, but the larger sticker on the windshield next to the inspection sticker does detract from the period look of the car . There are NY state issued Historical plates as well which I had in the past but went in favor of the YOM plates. With the Historical plates when they first came out there was a big rush by car collectors to see who could get a low number - a big status thing , especially here on long island. Some people live for the "status" recognition, guess they feel it makes them more important - they seem to be the same people who also need to see their car win a trophy every time they take it to a show so they can sit back and brag " my car - 62" I used to say no it isn't a 1962 it is a 1947 , then they would be a bit disturbed and frown and say " no 62 trophies , or 62 awards" I usually kept quiet but then started to remark " so do you ever drive it too for enjoyment or just on and off the trailer"  That didn't make me to popular and several people didn't want to talk to me after that. 😛

only 28.75 if dont live the nyc area.

Here’s my Roadsters tag holder in place. Second photo shows it “flipped” down for the occasion I wish to make her appear even less “modernized”. Only takes couple of seconds to “flip” it either way. 

F5239F1F-0ED7-433C-8BF7-27A5D845D022.jpeg

D1EA2BAF-081A-4C1A-B142-1CF730BE11E3.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, stakeside said:

Here is early Calif. commercial plate.

854A8C35-0C6E-4611-9BC1-017240305B43.thumb.jpeg.f56920f10c9da22db4ef9cf707aa327e.jpeg

I believe that one a 'Exempt'' plate for doctors, etc., which allows them to park in certain areas, including loading zones, or city parking lots without having to pay the usual fee. Below is a 1928 'Commercial' plate.

10aths060.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I just finished a set a couple nights ago - will shoot a photo with them in the  period adjustable chrome frames and when mounted on car.

White and Navy Blue

Image may contain: shoes

Those plates turned out real nice!  And they appear to be 'Exempt' plates for doctors, etc., who can park in loading zones or exempt from having to pay for parking in city-owned lots.  

I was fortunate enough to locate a pair of these Public Service plates, as what would be seen on a Bell Telephones truck in the day.

Craig

61_AB_PS_YOM_Plates.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Dave, great Buick!

That is not a 1915 NY dealer plate though. A 1915 NY dealer tag would have NY over 1915 on left followed by Dealer over Mxxxx (4 digit number).

OK. then them that told me that stand to be corrected. Now how should we correct them? Firing Squad? Hanging? Beat with a wet noodle??? Dandy Dave! 

In Nova Scotia historic plates are not acceptible for registering so you get a new "Antique Vehicle" Plate. But you are allowed to also display a vintage plate. So I made a couple of stainless steel clips to hook the new one over the trunk, and remove it when displaying the car. I am permitted to display a vintage plate only on front. Regulation changes are in the works to allow only vintage plates, expect them to be approved by about 2050!

IMG_2946B.jpg

• Like 2

Georgia was the first state to use reflective paint on their 1941 plates.  They stopped for the 42 reportedly because of the expense.  This plate was on my 41 pickup and is correct weight code.  I kept the plate when I sold the truck, it's just too good lookin'.

1025622570_newtagCP.JPG.2454c3ffb009c4a31fcaa8866ebab90b.JPG

• Like 1

This is what was on the car when I imported it, but I don't believe them to be original to the car

We don't have YOM plates in Australia, Victoria instead uses symbols on its plates to signify its class - My current plates have a diamond on them, and pre 1919 cars get stars 

20170125_000111421_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, apolo1100 said:

20181021_161449.jpg

20181021_155040.jpg

What kind of head do you have under that hood? Is that an air cleaner I see sticking out of the side or a big old Carburetor? That is a very cool Model T Ford. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

In Oregon YOM gets permanent registration. As do the 'Special Interest' plates that are butt ugly yellow issued by the DMV if one doesn't have or doesn't want YOM.

I have owned one of my cars almost 40 years, no tag fees, inspections or smog.

I have several cars this way, works for me.

Hot rods included.

Here's the plate for my 28' Whippet

IMG_4661.thumb.jpg.cb0611ff0918f9ff4fa49a727d4c2183.jpg

On my 1965 Buick Electra 225

I was able to find the key chain tags for this car. I can remember my Mom and my uncle having these tags in the 60's

I think the registration expires in 2050....or something like that. And I have to carry the antique  car plates with me too.

IMG_4660.thumb.jpg.9c270d27068e0e3699d3274805eb2325.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, MetroPetro said:

Cool thread, and not to hijack it, but want to sound a warning to fellow AACA members. There are TONS of fake license plates being peddled out there, especially on fleapay. Assume any porcelain plate is fake, unless you know how to spot the fraudulent ones. Buy only from reputable sellers who guarantee the plate(s) and or make sure you examine lots of photographs of the plate(s) before buying. Sellers who have gotten taken also are reselling them with BS stories attached. Unscrupulous sellers are pushing their worthless junk out of Tennessee but it is ending up everywhere.

I cracked up when I got to this post. I bought my license tag on fleabay from... you guessed it Tennessee! But it’s fun, goes well with the 30’s car and Washington is one of the least churched states too. I was following a fleabay Roosevelt/Garner tag from 1936. Perfect, right? Except it got bid up to $500! 
Took the car to the biggest show in Seattle, and the Times newspaper put a photo of JUST the plate. Forget the car! Loved it.

4F313C2F-C858-4800-82DC-6D55B9318232.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Steve9 said:

I cracked up when I got to this post. I bought my license tag on fleabay from... you guessed it Tennessee!

That plate looks terrific to me, Snohomish County too, to go with your Everett license frame. Do you suspect it is a reproduction?

Suppose it is a reproduction.  So freaking what?  My aluminum pistons are reproductions.  The Kevlar bands in my model T are reproductions.  The slide valves, pilot light, boiler and burner in my Stanley are reproductions.  If I were collecting license plates, I'd probably care whether what I was buying was a reproduction, especially if I was paying premium bucks.  But if I wanted something authentic-looking on the back of my old car, a well-made reproduction would be just fine.

Since NJ doesn't allow OEM plates, this discussion is academic to me.  But it seems silly, nonetheless.

The license plate is genuine, so is the frame. You can zoom in on the frame and see the pickling in the chrome. It’s the license topper that I’m not sure about. But like I said, so what, it’s all in good fun.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:14 AM, Bhigdog said:

Same here in PA. I just run a YOM plate on my 39 PU with out bothering to regi$ter it. I do have a legal antique plate for it I keep in the glove box. If I'm ever stopped I'll say I forgot to take it off after a show. Hey: I'm old. I'm confused................Bob

What you are doing is the law of the land here in North Carolina.   Beats the way it was done in Florida where we has=d to send unrestored YOM tags to the 

state for certification, then pay a fee for it.  With cars registered in both states, I like the NC law better.

As long as I've been around Florida has always used a granular reflective paint on the plates. The DMV only allows unused original plates. Used to be a pile at every flea market. Have several but no 4W.

flplatepaint.jpg

1929 Model A

1973 Corvette Stingray

Here in N.C. we get a brand new regular plate just like every other Joe. You can put any plate on your car as long as the agency issued plate is somewhere in the car. It doesn't have to be displayed. Have never got stopped in either car.

003.jpg

1973 Corvette 009.jpg

Edited by Morgansdad
didn't like pic. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here are a couple of mine.  Black & yellow plate is on my '67 Volvo 122S, the other on my '73 Chevrolet Impala. One nice thing about California is that as long as you keep your registration current, you can keep the same plates on the vehicle, these plates are the originals. Also just realized that the license frames have the manufacturer's logos on them, that's seldom seen on newer frame designs.

plate 1.jpg

plate 2.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:14 AM, Bhigdog said:

Same here in PA. I just run a YOM plate on my 39 PU with out bothering to regi$ter it. I do have a legal antique plate for it I keep in the glove box. If I'm ever stopped I'll say I forgot to take it off after a show. Hey: I'm old. I'm confused................Bob

Do the same thing (also in PA) however I have a set of strong magnets with a felt covering glued to the back of the legal purple antique plate. I can get it on and off of the YOM plate quickly and it has never had an issue coming off while driving. Unfortunately I typically take the car out and forget to bring or put the antique plate on. Probably would be an interesting point of discussion with the officer.  

6 minutes ago, Ron Green said:

Probably would be an interesting point of discussion with the officer.  

What's that officer? A license plate? What plate? My plate? What plate is that?.............. I'm old I'm confused...............Bob

I have been driving around Colorado for about 3 years now with these plates, I got off the "net" @ "build a sign".

Keep the real (ugly) antique car plates under the rear floor mat.

But then I live in a small town, and next door to a sheriff's deputy, so they all know the car.

They also know that the "tommy gun" in the back seat is really a bb gun.

Mike in Colorado

095.JPG

• Like 1