Ozone generator

crowvet

the inside of my riviera has a old car smell, even though I have stripped the interior and redid it. I bought a ozone generator to try, but am concerned about some things I have read. I am hoping some of you have used one and can assist. My first concern is,... Some have said to cover anything metal as ozone can damage it. Really??  Also that it will discolor the spare tire and rubber. Really? I plan on running it for only 30 minutes at a time with days of air out time.. Anyone? I know used car lots use them.

The early Rivieras have a smell  in the interior that is different from any other car I've ever been in, and it is pretty strong.

My Dad's 65 had this smell when it was brand new....always had it....it never lessened or went away. When I bought my 65 Riviera

in 2013, I was amazed that it smelled just like my Dad's car did, a smell I hadn't experienced in 35 years. My wife got in the car and suggested

that I buy an air freshener for the smell.......I told her that was the smell of my youth, and there was no way that I was going to try to get rid of it!

The smell inside my car is probably the best thing I like about it when I drive it, and because the entire interior is original, the smell is truly the correct genuine smell!

• Like 3

I have some Malodor Counterreactant that I have been guying from a detailer supply for decades. Maybe two bottles in my garage now. I checked their website and didn't find it listed: https://store.aratariautofinishers.com/store/p/83-Odor-Bombs.aspx

What's there is probably a good substitute, but you might give them a call to see if the old stuff is still there.

They had two mixes, smokey and moldly. I was selling it at swap meets and got great reviews.

If you're not it a big hurry, get a bag of charcoal briquettes and put a few in some different pans inside the trunk and interior of the car, close the windows and walk away.  In while, all smells will be gone.   Charcoal filters air just like it does water.

8 hours ago, phoemsen said:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/odor+exterminator.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

"eco-friendly" Chlorine Dioxide vapors. It worked well, roll up windows, open package and let it sit overnight. Seemed to eliminate the odors, not just mask them.

i actually already tried one of these from Adams polishes, I don't feel like it helped in my case.

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you're not it a big hurry, get a bag of charcoal briquettes and put a few in some different pans inside the trunk and interior of the car, close the windows and walk away.  In while, all smells will be gone.   Charcoal filters air just like it does water.

I have had a bag of it that Adams polishes sells under the front seat for a year. My sense of smell was damaged a couple years ago. I smell it slightly (doesn't bother me) but my wife says it smells and so does my neighbor.

6 hours ago, Wedgewood64 said:

just changed my carpets, and I do miss the smell that everyone who climbed aboard appreciated. That said, it was just an old car smell, nothing foul.

Only thing left in my car that hasn't been changed are the headliner, door panels , and dash. Under the dash looks mint. 

If the Aritari products I mentioned didn't work for you one other option might do it.

I had rain water wet the rear seat of my "60 Electra and was worried about bacteria growing in the foam. I bought a box of Boraxo at the grocery store and mixed it in a mist spray bottle. I sprayed while the rain water was still wet, then let it dry, sprayed, and then one more time. Seems to have worked fine in that instance, no smell.

Bernie

• Like 1

Thanks Bernie, I have not tried that. My ozone generator will be here on Tuesday. If that doesn't do it, I will definitely be giving that a try.

8 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

If the Aritari products I mentioned didn't work for you one other option might do it.

I had rain water wet the rear seat of my "60 Electra and was worried about bacteria growing in the foam. I bought a box of Boraxo at the grocery store and mixed it in a mist spray bottle. I sprayed while the rain water was still wet, then let it dry, sprayed, and then one more time. Seems to have worked fine in that instance, no smell.

Bernie