Misc humor and interesting videos

21 hours ago, Jim Bollman said:

Was a scorcher today. I could see a mod like this being popular.

15331-image0022.jpg

With more people living  in their cars, we'll see more of this later in the summer.  It's a Lincoln with A/C

How about a 12 minute video of Rodney Dangerfield on the Tonight Show from 1980? He does several minutes of standup and then sits down with Johnny and Ed and smokes a cigarette while they show a clip from "Caddyshack" which was released two days later....

On 6/27/2020 at 10:09 PM, Jim Bollman said:

PartsStore.jpeg

Just went through this buying two 6v batteries this week. I knew they only had one, but I played their game. Told him 50 Ford F1 and 49 Ford 8N tractor and he yells back we need two 6 volt batteries for an old truck and an old tractor.

If you think that is cute, you need to go to the auto parts store and give them a pre WW1 vehicle that you are working on.  I love saying 1915 Buick truck or a 1908 Buick Model F among others.

• Like 1

In many cases they are not idiots. Often they are working with the same software that you would see if you were ordering from the same company online. You don't get anywhere until you put in a make, model and year. In my area I have seen experienced parts people I have known for years hobbled by this. The paper catalog rack no longer exists.

• Like 4

Went into a good auto parts store the other day and asked for a manual coolant shut off valve for a heater hose. He didn't ask for the model or year. Said he knew what I wanted but had no way to look it up. He felt sorry for me and I felt bad for him. You just gotta love this new technology. 

PS. They know what I'm working on and have gone out of their way to help. Ordered one on line. ☹️

9 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Tomorrow I'm going to the local AutoZone to try to find some generic rubber hose.  If he asks year and make I'll say "1911 Stanley".  It's probably not in his computer.

Unfortunately this seems like the new normal when trying to order parts regardless of how simple and generic they may be. I now try and find the part number before I call or go to the supply house and typically this has helped. I went through this last week when trying to get a power door lock relay for a 97 4-door Chevy Silverado C/K 1500 pick up which technically they didn't make and don't show up in any parts books or computers. They were made (4-door's) by Centurion and were GM authorized and dealer sold with supposedly 27 made this year. Same issues when trying to get generic parts for an Amphicar or CitiCar though it can be entertaining watching them look them up.

I had my patience tested. I'm negative."

Edited by Ron Green (see edit history)

I have heard rumors that Ford is going to have a pickup even smaller than the new Ranger, might be called Maverick. I found these secret photos of a prototype.

Pinchero-1.jpg

Pinchero-2.jpg