'41 Continental Shifter Problems

bclement

New project, many MANY things to tackle!! Today's question is this......How or what would cause the shifter tube mechanism to freeze in the back position? Effectively, I have reverse and first gears. I detached the linkages at the transmission, and can move into and out of all gears, but the shifter won't move forward to get to second and third? I took the steering wheel off to see what I could see....not much. Then I thought I'd punch the pin out to pull the shift lever, except it turns out it isn't a pin! It's spring loaded on the top and bottom?! How does this thing work or go together or better come apart!?

Thanks

Brad

Edited by bclement
mispelling (see edit history)

It was the very same! Good solid car and mostly a pain-free experience! In a lot of ways easier than the back and forth haggling that takes place with uninformed owners! At least in this transaction I didn't have to negotiate both sides of the sale!!

• Like 1

There is a clamshell at the bottom of the shifting mechanism that allows you to get at the parts controlling the movement of the shift lever. You may not have to take it apart, just let some MMO get inside to loosen the grease that has hardened.  If that doesn't work, disassemble and clean the parts. Take photos so you know how to get it back together as the parts catalog is not much help.

VICTORY!! Thanks for all the inputs. When you have looked, studied, and touched every piece and part........it's always the dumbest little thing! As it turns out, it was the wrong 'C' clip at the top of the shaft that would not allow the shaft any travel inside the shift tube. Clearly, the previous owner never drove it in  2nd or 3rd gear! Probably part of the reason it stayed parked for so long!

Edited by bclement
mispelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1