Headlight Lenses

When we took my 38 on its initial test run back in November 2018, one of lenses came out of it’s bevel and shattered.  Shortly after that, I purchased a pair of 38 lenses.  We had trouble getting the one new lens to fit but we made it work.  We were more focused on getting the engine buttoned up.  My friend and mechanic John was able to get the engine running last summer so that I was able to move it from storage to my home.  Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly this past November.  I really relied on him heavily for most of the work on my vehicle.  I am a man of limited mechanical know-how but I am willing.

One of the last things we were working on was a carburetor rebuild.  I purchased a kit and I had planned on John rebuilding it in the fall. John’s passing was unexpected.  It set me back a little and I felt lost without his guidance.

Last month, I tried working on a few of the things we hadn’t finished yet.  One of those was headlight lens fitting.  I adjusted the brackets because the lens seemed to be smaller than the bezel but I thought things might be out of kilter a bit.  On closer inspection, I noticed a distinct difference in the styling of the old lens versus the purchased pair.  Looking further, I saw the old lens had a 96H and both new had 86H.  
Researching it here, I came upon a post from 2010 that covered this exact issue!  It seems that someone retro-fitted the car with 39 lenses and bezels.  I am not sure about the bezel mounting brackets.  If there is a difference between 38 and 39 bezels and lenses, it would stand to reason the brackets would be different.

I am little lost and I would appreciate any help.  Thank you.