auto trailer in Austin area

capgage

Hi guys, been a while since I was on this forum.  Anyway the time has come to bring my 58 Century Convertible body and frame home from storage having been all rust repaired / frame blasted repainted.  I want to buy the most best and reasonable trailer I can find to transport these and other whole cars that I have (58 Buick Special 4dr sedan, 73 Electra 2dr hardtop, 93 Bronco), without starting from scratch.  Any suggestions?

BTW, the best trailer I have ever seen was one built by  Pete Levchik in Bynum.  He had some kind of metal hole filled grates on the whole thing, and the 'spare tires" on the upper sides had bearings and were spinnable.  I remember it took him up to a year to make this right after many tries.  The spinnable spares were "just in case you ever get in trouble'.  I wonder who ever got that trailer.

Open or closed? 
I bought a really nice open trailer from Magnum on 620. In hindsight, I would have bought an aluminum bed for weight savings and maybe a longer ramp since 4’ ramps sometimes are too short to load lowered cars. Check Craigslist if you want a closed trailer. Buy somebody else’s pain. I’ve seen them go for almost the same price as new open flatbeds. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:00 AM, Barney Eaton said:

Tommys trailers in Oklahoma make super nice all aluminum trailers.

here is the link to their web page   http://www.tommystrailers.com/

Retirement Notice  (May 15, 2019)

Since 1972 – (47 years ago) – Tom and I have been building, selling, delivering and servicing our Tommy’s Aluminum Car-hauling Trailers. 

Due to our age and health, we have decided to shut down the sales and service of our aluminum car trailers, effective May 15, 2019.

We wish to thank all of our customers – around the world, who have bought trailers from us.   It has been a great ride, and we are so thankful for these customers, who ultimately became dear friends.

Thank all of you for the memories, and for sharing this experience, and chapter of our life, for the past 47 years.

We will continue our local business of selling trailer supplies, and portable buildings, carports and garages, greenhouses, playground equipment and deer box blinds, in four cities –  Ada, Atoka, Seminole and Davis. 

Sincerely,

Tom and Pat Hudson

Capgage - Not particularly close to Austin but I spoke with Big-Tex trailers in Houston last week and they are hurting due to the lock-down and sound like they will make a deal on a car-hauler. They are in Buda and Georgetown as well.  I rented an 18' open one to haul my '49 Buick with no problems. 

I used t go visit Pete Levchik's Buick parts yard and garage back in 1985 or so. He was a great source of info and parts for my '49 sedanette.  My dad liked to go because he always offered us a cold beer on a hot day.  He had a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr in his garage that he was stuffing with some giant V-8 at the time.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

Thanks for the update on Tommy's ...... they were always at the Pate Swap meet and it is sad to see another old, family owned business close.

If you drive I-44 from Joplin MO thru Springfield headed toward St Louis it seem that every town have one or more places making trailers.

must be a local skill....I'm sure some are better than others but they all look alike from the highway

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

As previously stated check Craigslist and also Facebook Marketplace. People often buy trailers for moving and or storage and use them once. Often can find good deals on excellent used ones. Select a good reliable builder as there are lots of cheapies out there. 

My trailer story.  I looked for a long time to find a decent used trailer.  Either they were all junk, damaged, cheaply built or didn't have what I wanted.  Twisted and bent axles seem to be a problem.  I first looked at getting a open trailer and in fact rented a open car hauler a number of times.  They worked but found the dirt and road debris a little excessive.  Even those quality used open trailers in aluminum are expensive and good ones almost to the cost of buying new.  After a lot of research I decided to go the enclosed route.  I am getting too old to crawl around on a trailer floor securing the car so extra thought on the set-up.  It's awful nice having the car clean when you get to a show and having an enclosed trailer provides a little cover during storms.  So I bought this all aluminum Forest River Lighting 20' with a 2' V-Nose upgraded with 9,500 K axles.  Trailer is made in Indiana.  Simple to load and secure the vehicle and unload with the extra wide side doors and front package door installed.  The trailer only weighs 2,100 lbs empty.  After towing a few times I find it works well for my needs.          

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

• Like 1