Sign in to follow this  
auburnseeker

NOT MINE: 1939 Delahaye 135M Cabriolet

00303_1AZUyfCJPO_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

00303_1AZUyfCJPO_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

Now, let's discuss this photo of what is close, but not the same car -  car for sale has different wheels, different landau irons, different belt trim - double wide, possibly different lower door sill treatment, and different skirt trim, plus the for sale car seems to have more "tail". 

00Q0Q_4VRsUIfh8y1_1200x900.jpg

And, appears to carry a different chassis number than the photo too.

00e0e_bTQLngvA17f_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_bsLVhEU7ln6_1200x900.jpg

7 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

00303_1AZUyfCJPO_0kE0fu_1200x900.jpg

Now, let's discuss this photo of what is close, but not the same car -  car for sale has different wheels, different landau irons, different belt trim - double wide, possibly different lower door sill treatment, and different skirt trim, plus the for sale car seems to have more "tail".

This is the other L&M car which is a sister but not identical.  You have pointed out the obvious differences,   subject car has more chrome trim too.

I talked to Seller yesterday who seems like a reasonable fellow.  Not a prewar guy but car guy.   He's helping his friend sell the car and will affably answer any questions.    Body is steel,  with aluminum doors and hoods.

Not a 3 carb car which hurts.   He states wood is remarkably solid.

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Not a competition model - yes I noticed right away.   

As to wood, hard to say - I would still lean via the seats that when it went into the trailer it was a pretty respectable car - and then it sweated for years and years. 

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This is the other L&M car which is a sister but not identical.  You have pointed out the obvious differences,   subject car has more chrome trim too.

I talked to Seller yesterday who seems like a reasonable fellow.  Not a prewar guy but car guy.   He's helping his friend sell the car and will affably answer any questions.    Body is steel,  with aluminum doors and hoods.

The subject car has better lines......I agree. L&M usually built nice stuff compared to many of the others. I purchased a factory triple carb set up for one of these at Hershey four years ago. It's still sitting on the shelf. I was guessing what it was off of when I saw it.........one of my better finds the last ten years at the fall meet. If the car is really solid, and has good wood,  its a better project than it looks like in the photos......than there is a much better chance of someone taking on the project. ......the last one of these that I know of done as a resurrection was about 8 years ago, but generally I don't follow this particular marque.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The subject car has better lines......I agree. L&M usually built nice stuff compared to many of the others. I purchased a factory triple carb set up for one of these at Hershey four years ago. It's still sitting on the shelf. I was guessing what it was off of when I saw it.........one of my better finds the last ten years at the fall meet. If the car is really solid, and has good wood,  its a better project than it looks like in the photos......than there is a much better chance of someone taking on the project. ......the last one of these that I know of done as a resurrection was about 8 years ago, but generally I don't follow this particular marque.

As a sidenote:  Without a build sheet and knowing the in's and out's of the marque, you never know if a 3 carb model originally (with its look it is hard to believe they opted for bare bones) - I consider them the good looking Buick's of France and my guess was 3 carbs were more than many mechanics could handle with a fair number quickly loosing their 3 carbs for something more simple (albeit I certainly could be very wrong about that, especially since still a relatively rare drivetrain any way about it compounded by WWII that made really any work on it difficult). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Dear Sir  Have you more photos of the car and how bad is the rust. please email particulars to robert-smith02@bigpond.com

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, robert smith said:

Dear Sir  Have you more photos of the car and how bad is the rust. please email particulars to robert-smith02@bigpond.com

Hi Robert. If you go back to the first page of this topic, scroll down until you come to a response from George Cole. He has posted a link to the Orlando Craigslist ad for this car. There are many pictures there, and contact to the owner.    -    Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Remove a "T." (see edit history)

Definitely as crusty as we were expecting.  Gat a big vatt of evaporust and soak it.  Pull it out and hope there is enough left to start with. 

• Like 1

I'll leave that to you, auburnseeker.  It's in your neck of the woods anyways.  Definitely not anywhere near close to me here on the FL Space Coast. :)

Too rough for me.  I don't even get around to the cars I have that need much less work.  

Same with me....and waaaay beyond my budget.  I've got enough projects to last me several lifetimes.  And of course, the salt air here from the ocean doesn't help.

Appears that the previous owner was a relative of the Roman God of the Sea "Neptune" who stored the vehicle in a sunken garage somewhere in the Mediterranean.  A daunting task with that restoration. 

Posted (edited)

Strange.  Multiple friends have suggested I consider that car as I want a Delahaye. (easy to spend someone else's money....)  It has its good points, or point, being a rather unique body, however the bad points, condition, condition and condition are clearly evident.  The owner is looking through rose (or money green) colored glasses.  The engine is most likely a disaster and the balance of the chassis is VERY high risk. Whether it was a tri-carb is a moot point, the tri-carb manifold is reproduced - most restored cars are tri-carb, gee, no surprise there. Difficult trim and other parts are absent, no picture of dash, etc.  I have about 45 years experience restoring cars, so yes, I could do this car and I have Delahaye resources to lean upon, which leaves only one big problem - $170K is unanimously considered far far too high a price.   If the price was anywhere near reasonable, I'd be a player,...but the six figure ante just isn't warranted.  Call me when it has a real price and I'll have the cash ready.    I am not going to call you and offer you what you might consider an insult today, only to ruin your perception of me when later you do realize I am willing to make a fair offer.

Also interesting to note that the Vesters car, which "appears" to be in better condition is being completely re-wooded as an element of its full body dip in the money bath.

Edited by flackmaster
clarification of my willingness to make a fair offer. (see edit history)
  • Like 1