Barn project

Today started out cloudy and cool. Then turned sunny then back to cloudy with some wind. We were able to almost finish all the framing. We have some above the big overhead door and frame up the service door and the small door overhead door. Then it will be on to metal. They are calling for rain tomorrow, but not until the afternoon so we should at least get all the framing done. 

the only bummer part of the day was seeing a puddle of oil on the ground. It turns out that a small tubing, about 6” of 1/4” tubing, sprung a leak. I’ve sent a picture to my brother that’s a diesel mechanic and he hadn’t seen the fitting before. I guess I’ll call the Allison dealer and see what they say in the morning. 

BFB9BF89-54C6-4863-A91E-4FD615F4A4AE.jpeg

A2C98945-5362-49F7-A65D-7359F70B36C8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Here is the fitting. Thanks mike

DE07A3CC-7187-45F1-893F-9B255CEF2CE8.jpeg

It is hard to tell from the image but it looks like a normal compression fitting. 

I went to town this morning. Found out that it’s a hydraulic fitting. I had them make it up with hose and new end. It cost $12.02. An hour later it was fixed. I’m just glad it happened at home instead of on the road. I guess when I’m done with the barn, I’m going to have to start replacing all the hoses  

is far as progress on the barn goes, we got about four hours of work done. We were able to finish up the end wall with the large overhead door. Framed up the service and small overhead doors before the rain came in. It’s to rain now until Sunday. 

Well today mother mature didn’t cooperate. It started raining first thing. It finally quit about 1. Of course we started and had to stop. Well after a half an hour of hard rain, we started in the drizzle with the house wrap and then siding. We were able to get the north side done before the contractor had to leave for the day. I did get the lower metal trim on before I quit for the day. Hopefully we can get more siding on tomorrow. 

5F18F13E-BB86-4FC0-9271-F6DB706A01DA.jpeg

• Like 3

Today was a good day. We got the south wall sided by 11. Then we started on the south side of the roof. The roof get the bubble wrap under it. It is white on one side and silver on the other. I opted to put white down. With the sun and the silver bubble wrap took its toll on us. We quit about 4 for the day. I like the way it looks color wise. My wife even likes it the color and said we have a lot of room on the side wall to put a decal. Tomorrow it’s supposed to rain all day and I’m fine with that. I’m just not use to this kind of work anymore. I think we did pretty good for 2 guys. My week of vacation is almost over. I need to go back to work to relax. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for next weekend and we can get the roof finished. I’m planning on working on getting the siding finished up. 

724E32D3-EB99-4128-B32C-ADC9AE626C4F.jpeg

• Like 2

Just an update. I wasn’t able to do anything on my barn from Sunday till last night. My wife and I were able to get 4 pieces on the end done last night. We were able to finish it up tonight. That just leaves the other end. We are planning on working on that this weekend. I did get a phone call from the overhead door manufacturer wanting to deliver them on 27th. That’s about two weeks early. My contractor is planning on coming back on the 30th to finish the roof. My wife will generally help me with just about anything, but she draws the line at going up on the roof. She doesn’t like heights. So I’m on my own on the roof. 

Update. Sorry I’m a little behind. Saturday I had to go up to my moms condo to do some plumbing repairs since we have excepted an offer on it and will be closing in June. In the afternoon I was able to get the big overhead door trimmed out and the end ready for siding.  Sunday, my wife and me were able to get the siding up. It now has all the siding on. With the help from my youngest PJ, we were also able to get some more roof on before the oldest Maggie came down for a visit. On Monday, maggie and here boyfriend JT came back down. JT and I were able to get 3/4 of one side roofed before I wore him out. Maggie said he didn’t move at all all night and didn’t want to get up to go to work.  He just isn’t used to physical labor.  Wednesday, the overhead doors came so I started putting up the small one. Go figure the didn’t send all the bolts so I called them and they informed me it will take 3-5 business days to get them. I did check to make sure all the parts and pieces were there for the big one. Tonight I started putting up the big one. Tomorrow I’m going to bring a scissor lift home from work to finish it. 
tomorrow or Saturday I’ll take some more pictures for all of you. Till next time, enjoy whatever you are doing. Mike

Well I’m almost finished. Friday at the end of the work day, I picked up our company owned scissor lift from a job since we were done with it and brought it home. I worked on the big overhead door. 
Saturday, the contractor came out with some more help. The roof got finished up and most of the trim done by noon. I spent the rest of the day on the big overhead door. I have the springs a little too tight, but I’m going to mess with them next weekend.

Today I finished putting the trim around the big overhead door. I also got the little overhead door track up so I could take the lift back to the shop. I spent the rest of the day cleaning up and putting away tools.  My wife is going to call for our final inspection tomorrow. I guess it will be Wednesday before that is done. So I’m hoping I can start parking trucks inside then. I still need to finish cleaning up all the extra trim and lumber. 

At my old place my pole barn (two story) was horribily hot up stairs in the Summer. When I had a steel roof put on I had them add a ridge vent and the upstairs probably ran 20 degrees cooler in the summer. The steel roof also had an air gap, since they just put purlins over the old roof and that probably helped some.

My barn does have a ridge vent. Today when I was on the way home, the temperature was 93 according to my van at 4 pm. I went out to the barn and it was about the same temperature inside. Shortly after I opened up the overhead door it seemed cooler with the breeze and just not being in the sun. 
       I started working on grading and filling all the ruts from the concrete trucks this evening. It will take several evenings to get them all filled. Then plant some grass seed. The next item after repairing the yard will be the driveway. I’m planning on crushed limestone.  I have already have the border stones. Once they are in place, I’ll get a load of stone and spread it out. 
       I was even able to get the ladder truck in with the help of my wife. She didn’t think it would fit as I backed it in. There’s about foot of clearance.  I also put my pickup and my in laws little tractor. 
      I am going to have to figure out where to put the extra siding and roof metal so it is out of the way. Then it will be time to get the electric from the garage to the barn. The list is getting shorter and I’m just going to plug away at it when time allows. It’s just like any project, it just takes time, labor, money, and the desire to get it done. 

As a contractor who has built more of those kind of structures than I can count, You've done a great job! Nice barn. Only advice I can offer, if you're planning on finishing the inside, do that before you start putting anything in it. Ask me how I know!

edit: A pole barn is not the same as post and beam. Also, I dont think I saw any floor drains. In my area they are forbidden in a garage. If you do install one they need to go to an oil separator tank, which equals LOTS of money.

52 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

As a contractor who has built more of those kind of structures than I can count, You've done a great job! Nice barn. Only advice I can offer, if you're planning on finishing the inside, do that before you start putting anything in it. Ask me how I know!

edit: A pole barn is not the same as post and beam. Also, I dont think I saw any floor drains. In my area they are forbidden in a garage. If you do install one they need to go to an oil separator tank, which equals LOTS of money.

Thanks. I’m not planning on doing any finishing of the inside any time soon. 

You are correct, I didn’t put any floor drains in. I’m a plumber by trade and interceptors are expensive to install and maintain. I didn’t want the headache or expense. 

Years ago my brother put a drain in his garage floor, along with a hose bib inside. He was thinking it would make washing the car in the winter easier. I dont think he ever used it. A lot of people when talking a custom built garage will gravitate right away to floor drains but I dont see them as needed. You being in the business know exactly what I'm talking about. One of my companies specialties was fire houses, every bay has a channel drain. I bet I have installed 10 miles of those things, I am all too familiar with the interceptors.

• 4 months later...