Wesco 4-point belts in 1st gen?

Wedgewood64

Anyone try to put these in the rear of a 1st gen? My son's too big for the child seat I had in there. I'm thinking that, because of the rather flimsy attachments holding down the seat back, mounting the "C" end on the floor as indicated won't work great. In the event of an accident, I'd imagine the whole seat back would pull out, limiting effectiveness. But otherwise, I'm unsure where to mount that end--unless over the muffler (but then I'd have to pull it, plus the angle would mean that the bolt could possibly tear through the sheet metal?).

I've admired some of the 3-point shouter belts some of you have installed, but I'm not aiming for an engineering marvel.

https://www.wescoperformance.com/am4point.html#

4-point-seat-belt.gif

4-point-passenger-car-seatbelts-with-chrome-lift-lever-buckle-19.jpg

Look at the existing mounts for clues (e.g. reinforced backing plate).  If you hit something hard enough to rip a plate through the floorboard, you're in a precarious situation regardless.  Not to be insensitive, but if all you have is a lap belt, you won't be around to know how he made out.

In this particular car, putting it too far back directly beneath the package shelf might interfere with the spare, no?

Wedgewood64,

1964 started with the introduction of rear seat belt option.  There should be attachment points already installed.

IF you can't find them use a piece of channel iron about 6" long x 1"-1 1/2" for the bolt too go through.  This will provide enough area for the needed strength.

If you do a search, you'll find an illustration that shows where dimplesxare stamped into the floor pan.  These dimples show where you drill to mount rear seat belts.  Wesco Performance sells backing plates to go with thire seat belt bolts. Weld the backing plate in position after you drill the hole and you'll be good to go.

mounting-plate-102-10154-4.jpg.625b00eebd462ad8001fbc80876fa370.jpg

I think the question is where and how to mount the center strap.  I'm guessing that factory mounts exist and will be used for the outer belts.

If you can't figure it out, fill the trunk full of packing peanuts and chuck him in there.

Ha, yeah, but he has asthma, wouldn't be good for the lungs.

Right, I was curious if anyone had an idea about a good place to anchor the center piece, "C" on the diagram. The other two don't seem very problematic--even if my new layer of Noico hides the factory dimples. My vauge idea was that if C were placed up higher (like on the part where the spare sits), then on impact it wouldn't be pulling perpendicularly but parallel, thus bypassing the usefulness of the mounting plate. I may be overthinking, I don't know. Plus I don't want to have the pull the muffler to mount it.

I did realize that I'd be a goner with my lap belt, especially with the nice axe-blade shaped dash; but the future belongs to the young.

I haven't ordered this baby, just wondering if anyone had tried one and could see good solutions for the mount. Thanks all! I'll probably give it a try.

Search the forum and see what the Aussies have done to add retractable inertia reel belts to their cars. Apparently they have to make cars they import meet certain safety regulations.  

I'm assuming that your son doesn't weigh that much so is there a reason that you can't attach a steel bracket into the metal under the package tray? Something similar to the brackets we use when we "hook" the grandkids car seats in our new car?  His weight shouldn't create so much inertia that he'd pull a bolt through sheet metal if the bolt has an anchor plate under it to spread out the force.

Sounds right, Ed. I'd looked at that support, then thought it might be a bit flimsy. But on second thought, looks like the best option.

My car is light blue with dark blue interior. The (original) belts are light blue. Was that simply an owner choice? Would some people have chosen navy?

FWIW, I have the light blue vinyl/cloth custom interior (611). I reupholstered with the same light blue vinyl, but dark blue inserts instead of the original light blue cloth.  I chose dark blue belts.

With a dark blue interior, I would've gone with dark blue belts.  But that's just me.

Just checked my plate: interestingly, the car had the retractable belt option, but since I've had it, it's always been the regular belts, in the light blue. I replaced those b/c the buckle (which was missing the correct plate) failed.

I think the light blue would look horrible with the 4-point. I'm not sure, I could swap out all the belts in navy (but navy is... out of stock), or just order 2xlap belts for back, and then a black 4-point to secure my boy for the next 5 years... after that, I imagine he'll refuse to sit in the back...

P8121382.jpg

P8121380.jpg

33 minutes ago, Wedgewood64 said:

Just checked my plate: interestingly, the car had the retractable belt option, but since I've had it, it's always been the regular belts, in the light blue. I replaced those b/c the buckle (which was missing the correct plate) failed.

I think the light blue would look horrible with the 4-point. I'm not sure, I could swap out all the belts in navy (but navy is... out of stock), or just order 2xlap belts for back, and then a black 4-point to secure my boy for the next 5 years... after that, I imagine he'll refuse to sit in the back...

P8121380.jpg

Looks like your belt is missing the embossed cover.

42 minutes ago, Wedgewood64 said:

There's more than one source for webbing and belt refurb.  Hint: Ssnake Oyl is about the most expensive of the bunch (no aspersions to the quality of their work intended or implied).

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

yes, the cover, that's what I meant by plate. Both the belts were missing it for some reason.

I emailed Ssnake oyl once to see if they happened to have the correct buckle, they never replied. I went with one of the ones Wesco sells. Not so important to me. Especially now that I know that the car was supposed to have retractables!

I may be wrong on this, but I thought the retractable belts (the ones with the retraction mechanism in the floor-mounted plastic shell) started in 65.  Prior to that, retraction was those spring-loaded chrome doobers that slipped over the belt.  Furthermore, I don't think the data plate would indicate retractable belts as different from any other belt.  All of which is to say that if you have a 64, those belts may well be original.

I sourced my aftermarket Seatbelts for my '63 from seatbelt solutions in Jupiter, FL back in 2016. 50% of the order was useless. Out of that order only 7/16" anchors that Ed pictured above were useful. The square nut on the Driver's anchor broke its' tack welds.

I've only encountered black seatbelts for '63 regardless of interior colour. No need to fuss about being correct for 1963.

Only Snake Oyl will re-web old seatbelts. Local places will not take on the liability. Also, if shown the original 7/16" anchors are quick to deem them as unsafe.

I'm just baffled why online vendors show all their seatbelts neatly spread out BUCKLED! My decision to buy is to see them UNBUCKLED! Another reason to just settle with universal seatbelts purchased locally.

Maybe I should go with the 24" retractable seatbeats (image shows unbuckled!). The retractor will hide the regular 7/16" grade-5 bolt which they say is a 'safe anchor'.

image.png.a2f07d16b9ab19ebb9d73b92c41d1c60.png

Bolt_CH20499.jpg

• 1 month later...

I ended up going for a more off-road style. I couldn't see the 3-point harness in the light blue. I mounted the rear strap to metal under the package tray. Relatively straightforward. Will last the boy a few years until he won't tolerate the back seat...

P6090043.JPG

P6090044s.jpg

• Like 1