Brake Drum 1937

2 hours ago, drdon said:

Can it be too far out of round? 

If it gets too far out of round it will relay that information to you in a violent manner.

Fortunately, your greatest braking occurs in the front brakes.

If you just detect a pulsing, you may be able to have it turned on a brake lathe; but that will also depend on if it has already been done in the past.

Turning brake drums on a lathe was pretty standard practice, but there are also minimum thickness standards.

If someone can tell you what that standard is for the '37 Studebaker Dictator drum, perhaps your mechanic can do that, or get it done.

There are still a lot of shops that have those lathes, which are also used to surface flywheels.

Rotors can be done as well but, modern rotors are so thin to begin with, and so cheap to replace, few bother to get them turned.

The issue is that I don’t notice a pulsing pedal BUT I cannot adjust the hand brake to firmly hold the car without it being too tight and a good shop has tried to adjust it ( after I couldnt) and said the problem in their opinion was an out of round drum. I do have the frame off of the original Coupe Express ( I used a parts car 6A frame for better ride)  so access to rear drums if needed. 

Not owning your make or year car, I can't comment on why. You should have the shop give you the particulars. It seems that you would notice an out of round situation in the pedal before there was any type of adjustment anomaly.

Wonder if the problem is not out of round but rather the adjustment of the rear brake shoes.  The adjustment can be difficult especially for those not familiar with this style of brake.  When I was completing my restoration I was having problems with adjustment and took it to a shop and they made it worse but second shop got it working perfect.  You might want to look at the brake shoe adjustment.

I doubt inability to adjust the hand brake is sufficient evidence to conclude an out of round drum; nor to discount it.

Other than putting it on a lathe and finding out.

Are the shoes properly mounted and the lining sufficient? Has the hand brake cable stretched or been mis-routed?

On 5/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, drdon said:

Does that mean there are two different drums. 

I believe Bob's post indicates the drums themselves are the same, but the detachable hub is not.

If YOUR drum does have an issue, but a smaller hub, a good mechanic can separate them and re-use your hub.

I have the following N.O.S. brake drums in stock 182579 Right front for Studebaker model A

190521 Right rear for 5-6A, 190522 Left rear 5-6A,190632 Right rear for J5,191575 Right front for 7-9A , K5 ,L5, 191576 Left front for 7-9A , K5 ,L5

Any one of these for $150.00 plus shipping, subject to prior sale 

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

@rbk

I would like to buy the drum you listed 182579. It is the one I need for my Canadian built 34 Dictator. 

I think I still have your email. I'll send an email to work out details. It might be a challenge with all the Covid19 restrictions these days. 

Hi AussiJohn, 

oh I had lots of trouble as the enclosed rear portion of the left cable was frozen big time. Patience and regular application of PB Blaster over 2-3 weeks finally freed it. It works great now and I have an inch or so of adjustment left in both turnbuckles. The problem is when I tighten it so the hand brake actually holds- it is at least partially full time contact with heat buildup after a very short drive. I think it has to be the drum at this point. 
Thanks for your note. 

Reading through this thread again, I have a thought, which I am sure has been discussed. I realize there are right and left handed threads on the hubs. Now when the engineers designed this they were worried about the nut backing off but it has long since been proven to not be a concern. Other than for historical reasons, why couldn't all right hand thread drums be installed. 

That's what I thought too. My 34 actually already has right hand thread studs throughout.

I brought it up hoping there was some opinions and discussion on what other people are doing. I do what I can to learn what people are doing on these old cars. I have plenty of experience with motorcycles and was in the airforce for 23 years working on plans as old as the T-33 T-Bird.