Sign in to follow this  
JRHaelig

Grandpop's Race Car In 1917

Posted (edited)

Before being sent to France in 1918 my grandfather was stationed at Ft. Dix (Camp Dix at the time) here in NJ.

This newspaper was printed on his 19th birthday on July 13, 1917 and shows him and his buddy in full racing skivvies.

He's the fellow on the right.

Although the car is optimistically described as a Stutz, I think it was his youthful sense of humor at play.

There was a board track and at least one dirt track down in that area so this is where he burned off some energy on the weekends.

Any idea what the car really is?

grandpop race car.jpg

Edited by JRHaelig (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

notice the unique "dropping" body line on the "STUTZ" between your Grandfather and his buddy. Heres a 1911 Huppmobile "20" showing the same stylistic flair

post-91280-143141750895_thumb.jpg

Agree, tall radiator filler and headlamp position are big clues for me.

Terry

Posted (edited)

Yes, That is a Hupmobile 20 Torpedo Roadster, fairly rare body style at the time, they offered a Coupe and Touring car along with the more common runabout. This period photo gives a clear view of the body. Bob 

untitled.png

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Never seen that type of propulsion system before. That would be rather low on the list of vehicles I would prefer to be run over by while out playing in the snow.    -    Carl 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Never seen that type of propulsion system before. That would be rather low on the list of vehicles I would prefer to be run over by while out playing in the snow.    -    Carl 

I thought the same thing! A dual Archimedes screw type drive, somewhat  likethe pontoons in this Fordson Snow-Motor video (sorry about the soundtrack...)   WARNING! THREAD DRIFT!!

• Thanks 1

You guys are sharp!  Positive ID as a Hupmobile within minutes.

Thank you so much. 

• Thanks 1