1941 Special Wipers not working

I am trying to figure out why my wipers are not working. I rebuilt the upper vacuum pump on the fuel pump. Vacuum is great now, wiper motor works without the wiper arms/blades but when I add them they barely move on the windshield. If I take one off it will whipe once every minute or 2. It’s like there is not enough power. No vacuum leaks from pump to motor. Is there something in the motor that is weak?

Are you trying to wipe them across a dry windshield? You'll be surprised how much better they work in the rain. Mine barely move either, but when I need them they work just fine.

If that's not it, do you have a vacuum leak anywhere? Can you hear it hissing--if I don't turn my switch off just right I can hear it under the dash. The diaphragm in the wiper motor may also be dry and hard and it may need to be rebuilt or at least conditioned, but if you're pulling it out, you may as well rebuild it.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Are you trying to wipe them across a dry windshield? You'll be surprised how much better they work in the rain. Mine barely move either, but when I need them they work just fine.

If that's not it, do you have a vacuum leak anywhere? Can you hear it hissing--if I don't turn my switch off just right I can hear it under the dash. The diaphragm in the wiper motor may also be dry and hard and it may need to be rebuilt or at least conditioned, but if you're pulling it out, you may as well rebuild it.

No vacuum leak at all. I even took the line off and sucked on it and put my tongue on the hose and it held. I have tried the wipers wet or dry and they barely move. I did buy a NOS vacuum motor but the seller screwed me, the shaft is frozen even tho it looks new. I may disect mine and that one and see if I can make a good one. Based on your response the only issue sounds like the motor itself and then diaphragm 

I am attaching the directions for lubricating the flapper inside the wiper.  This is for a direct mounted wiper arm but you should be able to manually move your motor the same way.  A friend with an Oldsmobile was able to fix his using these directions.

window cleaner 1.jpg

window cleaner 2.jpg

• Like 2

I will give this a try but I have no idea how I am going to get oil into this thing with a 5” hose. It is mounted 2’ from the floor under the dash and really tucked Up in there 

Like todays cars,  the engineers did not design them to be repaired - just assembled.    Repairs were an after thought.    IF you have a '37' Buick, the engine side covers leave you with very little room to do things like replace the generator or replace the v-belt,  replace the water pump etc...   .   The '38' has shorted engine side covers giving you much more room to work on your engine.   Had a '37' and now have a '38'.    A significant difference in room to 'fix' things.    My '35' had the old style engine covers and they had much better room to fix things.   

• 2 weeks later...

I oiled the wiper motor with some light weight oil using a syringe and 2” piece of vacuum hose. This worked awesome and the wipers were working great, 2hrs later back to their normal barely moving operation.