Just wondering if anyone has converted a Buick 322 to a new style Fuel Injection?  Did not know how involved it was, Good or bad results? Wanted to know if it would run cleaner, start easier, performance, etc...

I tried calling Holley tech line. Told them I wanted to convert a 322 4 barrel to Fuel Injection. First thing he said was I needed to do get an adapter of the intake manifold. and then we were disconnected.  I think he had a long day and was not in the mood!  lol

I see a few car show on TV on doing it on Chevy trucks and so on . So I thought  would ask the question here!

Thank you!

Bob

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a  neat idea.  Call them again.  

The intake adapter is the least of what you need to make it work.  It will require an alternator in place of the generator; electronic ignition conversion in the distributor or maybe even a computer controlled distributor depending on the system; oxygen sensor(s); a big ol' bucket of money.

Then report back with an honest assessment.  This question has been asked before and we still don't know how it works.

• Like 1

The Holley system works pretty well and is mostly stand-alone so you should not need a lot of extra upgrades. You will have to install an O2 sensor or two in your exhaust system, depending on the EFI setup you choose. I'm not certain an ignition upgrade is needed, but it certainly can't hurt. Getting the injector unit to sit on the intake will be a challenge, but I bet there are aftermarket Nailhead intake manifolds that will accommodate a Holley 4-barrel carburetor (which is what the injection system is modeled after). The neat thing is that the system is largely self-tuning so you don't need to be a computer expert to get it to run right. You do, however, need to be very careful installing it so the various sensors get good readings so it can tune itself. In addition to the O2 sensor(s), you'll probably need a coolant temperature sensor, perhaps an intake air temperature sensor, an RPM pickup, but all of that should be included with the kit. Just be sure to install them correctly so they get good readings--the better you install the system, the better it will work. The advantage is that it probably does start a bit faster, run cleaner, and get better fuel economy (marginal at best, I recon). It's probably a lot less finicky about cold starts, ambient temperatures, and you don't need to figure out chokes or adjust them depending on the season. I don't know if it's a night-and-day difference, but it should improve driveability a bit.

On the other hand, a well-tuned Nailhead is not really something that is finicky or difficult and they were designed well and make great power. Get your factory hardware set up correctly and it will run as well as a fuel injection unit. Both are a lot of work, but one path costs an extra few thousand and one does not. There is likely no horsepower difference. 

Ben Bruce aka First Born has installed an EFI system on his straight-8 Buick and is pleased with the results, so hopefully he'll chime in and share his knowledge. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Steanson said:

Bob, I recently did this with my 1955 322, two-barrel.  Used the Fitech system. Very pleased with the results so far, starts like a dream.

Stean

I’d like to see photos... lol

I bought a 4 bbl intake specifically for putting a FITech system on the ‘56. My plan is to find a spare 2bbl air cleaner to modify so it looks stock at first glance...

3 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

I bought a 4 bbl intake specifically for putting a FITech system on the ‘56. My plan is to find a spare 2bbl air cleaner to modify so it looks stock at first glance...

Holley makes one called the  2Gs, or something like that, that replaces a 2 barrel and uses the same air cleaner. A you tube video shows one installed on a '59.

4 hours ago, Buick Farmer said:

Just wondering if anyone has converted a Buick 322 to a new style Fuel Injection?  Did not know how involved it was, Good or bad results? Wanted to know if it would run cleaner, start easier, performance, etc...

I tried calling Holley tech line. Told them I wanted to convert a 322 4 barrel to Fuel Injection. First thing he said was I needed to do get an adapter of the intake manifold. and then we were disconnected.  I think he had a long day and was not in the mood!  lol

I see a few car show on TV on doing it on Chevy trucks and so on . So I thought  would ask the question here!

Thank you!

Bob

Bob, I can't say on the V8 engines. I will say that if they work as good as the Straight Eight, one should be happy.  The volatility  of today's gas makes it difficult for carburetors to be consistent.  Is not the ethanol, it is the formulation for FUEL INJECTION.  If I was to buy a carburetor car to drive, the fuel injection would be the first thing I did.  No  "vapor lock". EASY starting.  No disadvantages in my opinion.

Ben

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Mine is still 2 bbl intake, used the Go EFI 2 bbl #39001 with Command Center 2 fuel delivery system.  Had already replaced points with Pertronix ignitor.

Stean

2-barrel EFI should be more than adequate for a 322 cubic inch engine. I wouldn't sweat the 4-barrel part. The injection should be able to flow plenty of fuel.

My experience in mixing old cars and new fuel has been fine. I have never price shopped and top off everything I have owned at the same Mobil station since 1982. Mobil is considered a "Top Tier" gasoline: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

I make an effort to push gas through the carb so I can keep buying fresh fuel. And I make sure it sloshes a round a lot. If my paint, upholstery, and mechanics were all in good shape I would probably use the FI budget to buy a project car.

Bernie

In the Midwest, top tier fuel and the other stuff are all the same price. The Quick Trip on the corner has the best gas prices in town and they sell only Top Tier gas.  I was having EGR problems in the Roadmaster.  Three tanksful of Marvel Mystery Oil and switching to a Top Tier gas and everything is back to normal.  Sure miss the fuel saver points at my old station though.

Just look for the logo

top-tier-gas-885.jpg.7a2d9895c7df7b9dc058dd05987d614a.jpg

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

In the Midwest, top tier fuel and the other stuff are all the same price.

I have heard that. I once saw a movie about a girl from Kansas and everything was the same tones of brown. Just variations of the same.

That was the story about how she accidentally committed manslaughter when she arrived and the local government wouldn't let her go home until she committed murder. Tough place out there in the midwest.

• 2 weeks later...

There should be a thread in here, somewhere, by First Born when he originally converted his Straight 8 to EFI, using a GM 2bl TBI unit on his engineered intake manifold.  

The reason for the adapter (as the Holley Tech operative mentioned) is that the bolt pattern on the 4bbl for the 322 was a smaller bolt pattern than the '58+ "Holley Pattern".

Personally, I like the idea of using what First Born originally used, which used a common GM 2bbl TBI unit, with the common mid-'80s GM computer and a custom PROM for his application.  By observation, the GM TBI (as in '87+ Chevy pickup truck 305/350, or the larger one for the 454, all 2bbls) are simple, easy to fix, AND available in the aftermarket.  The 305/350 units are 1.56" throttle bore diameter (as most mid-'60s 2bbls were) and the 454 unit is 1.69" throttle bores.

A KEY part of these systems is the fuel pump, which must put out 55psi or a bit more.  IF there is less than 53psi, the injectors will not fire.  Has to put our that pressure, period, which means an expensive in-line pump (which was in the initial Holley TBI EFI kits, made by Walbro).  In more recent times, Edelbrock has a "sump" system where the normal fuel pump is used to supply fuel to an under hood "sump", in which the high pressure pump to supply the TBI is located.  Might need a return line to the tank, too?

Much of the speed signals for the aftermarket EFI (as in Holley and similar) comes from the distributor, which MUST be of a particular type to work.  Which makes the later throttle body EFI kits that will also handle the ignition functions pretty neat and "all-inclusive".

ALSO be aware that you purchase the base unit (for an attractive price), BUT will also need the Install KIt to finish the job!  Most now seem to be just under $2K now.  So, trying to justify the upgrade just on fuel economy alone won't work.  It will run cleaner, need an O2 sensor bung, plus other things by the time you're done.

Just remember that the fuel atomization will be better than a 1950s carburetor, which is probably where the fuel economy increase and such comes from.  But then the new CArter AVS2 carb will be better, too.

In any event, to me, it would be better to be able to bolt the TBI unit directly to the intake manifold, rather than use a "larger to smaller" spacer/adapter.  Better air flow dynamics.  The GM TBI unit is a 3-bolt pattern, but putting a 2bbl on a 4bbl intake would probably work better, air flow dynamics wise.  In that case, a flat piece of metal to match the TBI bolt pattern and holes could fit onto a 322 4bbl intake with the throttle holes removed to have one large hole instead, at the mounting pad.

And then there would be the issue of which air cleaner would fit when you're done.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467