Upholstery Yardage Advice Needed - 1949 Buick

Dan O

I am going to finally order seat fabric etc for my '49 sedanette.  I have made some measurements but wonder if anyone out there already knows the amount of upholstery I will need for front and rear seats, etc?  They are pinstriped on the "face" of the seats and solid on the sides.  Then there's the armrest panels in back (door panels done).  I will also do the trunk floor.

Alternatively, how much extra fabric do you add to actual measurements to allow for sewing it all together?  Two or three inches added all around would be my guess.

Anyone know a source for the really thin wind-lace that goes on the doors around the windows?  It's about the diameter of a regular drinking straw or maybe less.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

Thanks AVG - I did call my man and he said to measure seam to seam and add 2" all around for sewing margin.  I did call SMS Fabrics as well and they actually supplied me with the yardage needed.  It compared favorably with my measurements so they seemed to be dealing fairly and not padding the yardage.

SMS has a 19% off sale that ends tomorrow May, 1st.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, drhach said:

So what is the estimated yardage? 

I bought six yards of the gray striped material for the front of the seats and rear quarter panel arm rests;  2.5 yards of solid gray for the sides and backs of the seats/clam shell plus rear quarter panels.  I also bought four yards of carpeting - it is 36" wide so you run it side-to-side.  Then three yards of trunk liner and seven feet of windlace.  This was all for the 76S.  I did not buy any material for the front door panels so add that in if you are making your own order..

AND - I got an email that SMS extended their 19% off sale until May 15!   http://smsautofabric.com/ 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dan O said:

I am going to finally order seat fabric etc for my '49 sedanette.  I have made some measurements but wonder if anyone out there already knows the amount of upholstery I will need for front and rear seats, etc?  They are pinstriped on the "face" of the seats and solid on the sides.  Then there's the armrest panels in back (door panels done).  I will also do the trunk floor.

Alternatively, how much extra fabric do you add to actual measurements to allow for sewing it all together?  Two or three inches added all around would be my guess.

Anyone know a source for the really thin wind-lace that goes on the doors around the windows?  It's about the diameter of a regular drinking straw or maybe less.

SMS will be able to tell you the yardage required. The folks that are actually doing the upholstery as well as others that have purchased yard goods suggest adding an extra 1/2 to 1 yard, just in case! Also nice to have a bit of extra if repairs are ever required. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 10:59 AM, g-g-g0 said:

SMS will be able to tell you the yardage required. The folks that are actually doing the upholstery as well as others that have purchased yard goods suggest adding an extra 1/2 to 1 yard, just in case! Also nice to have a bit of extra if repairs are ever required. 

Yes, I spoke with them. Thank you

My comment is that one should add another 2 to 3 yards to the estimate, even if you don't need it, that first person who drops a beet on your seat you'll wish you had it!  But shame on you for letting them eat beets in your car, sheesh....

Seriously, the cost of a yard or two extra is insignificant when compared with labor cost to upholster a car....

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, trimacar said:

that first person who drops a beet on your seat

I haven't read an Erskine Caldwell book in a while but  I am being to get an idea where Winchester, Va. is.

Bernie

On 5/16/2020 at 7:15 PM, BuickBob49 said:

Do the Sedanettes have a strip of gray leatherette on the top of the back seat in front of the package shelf? My 1949 Super sedan does. 

More like a large section for the entire top of the front and rear seats.  After all, it's a four-holer!

49-Buick-Roadmstr upholstrey.jpg

• Like 1