Sign in to follow this  
SMB

Create a list of fuel gauge ohms for reference

Posted (edited)

I don't know how many prewar Studebaker had fuel gauges with differing ohms but I do know that when trying to find the correct sending unit

for my 37 I could not find anything on the forums or the web.   There were many guesses (most wrong) and I was one of the ones guessing incorrectly as I knew what other cars of that era used.   Anyway I did finally solve the riddle and it turned out that the the 37 and 38 gauges used a 0-90

ohm sender.   I just installed one yesterday - it is nice to have a working accurate gauge again.

My suggestion is that those who definitely know the ohms of various years of Studebaker fuel gauges post that information here to help others out as

that information is very difficult to find.  Maybe a list could end up on Bob Johnstone's website.

Maybe there is such a list but I never found it.

Edited by SMB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Having an issue with my 35 Studebaker Dictator also. How did you find out the olms for the fuel gauge. Thanks

After much searching I saw a post where it was suggested that it might be 0-90.  I bought a working 38 gauge on ebay and a 0-90 universal sending unit and bench tested them.

Your suggestion is outstanding, if we can get some of this data in a central location then it will make it so much easier.  I had been trying to get the gas gauge in my 38 repaired for a couple of years but once you provided the ohm range a quick trip to Summit and it was repaired in a couple of hours.  Many thanks!!