Nicknames

padgett

Essex = A$$-ache

Cadillac = Cattle-rack

I've always called my 1999 Ford F-350 diesel duallie hauler "The BFT" (Big Freakin' Truck), so when I acquired a 1995 Mazda pickup for around town use it became "The LFT" (Little...)

When we were in High School, my brother had a 1951 OLDSMOBILE 98, when we "nosed it", we left OLD  PILE by dropping the SMO and the bottom loop of the B.

He bought it in 1957 off the back row of a car lot for $95.00, how times & prices have changed.  It was a Convertible too!

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

All my cars have nicknames. They usually evolve as I get them sorted and running well. Usually they start with something like a "rusty pile of sxxt" and "rolling junkyard". After hundreds of hours of labor and endless dollars they finally get their "forever" name. 

So I did mine backwards? ;) 

Just picked up my spare cap and rotor for $125. 

Gaskets came in at $500 

I haven't even looked at her yet to see what she needs. 

I think she's going to be like a girlfriend I'm trying to hide from the wife.  Very expensive with alot of sneaking around involved along with a few mistruths about what things cost. 

Guess I am not very original. My Judge is "the Judge". The Jeep is the Heapdirow. (I like novels about Florida).

Only $200 car I bought was a FIAT (I like FIATs) 850R coupe that needed a clutch. Was in Texas and did not have AC.

I used to travel A Lot (gold on three different airlines). Only twice did I return rent cars before leaving the airport. One was an Alliance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

So I did mine backwards? ;) 

Just picked up my spare cap and rotor for $125. 

Gaskets came in at $500 

I haven't even looked at her yet to see what she needs. 

I think she's going to be like a girlfriend I'm trying to hide from the wife.  Very expensive with alot of sneaking around involved along with a few mistruths about what things cost. 

Aha......yes. The three great lies of mankind. Not fit for this forum! 

1: The check is in the mail.

2: I'll be home soon.

3: I only have 15K total investment in my 100 point ACD car.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I only have 15K total investment in my 100 point ACD car.

I've heard that before.

No, wait, I always hear it the other way around. "I only have $15K to spend but I want a 100 point ACD car."

• Like 1

For SUV's my favorites are the Chevy Subdivision and the Ford Expanse. The Ford Pinto had an unenviable moniker of the Ford Flambé.  My father bought a 1962 white Imperial that got the names from my high school classmates of the White Whale or Morbid Dick.

1 hour ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

he was beginning to believe that 'BMW' stood for 'Break My Window'.

Mine is a 760li. It has the optional laminated glass all around. It is for L. A. residents and military Generals. No shatter.

Short Summary

Bounce off my windows.

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

I went from a Honda S2000 to the 38 Studebaker. It’s called the beast. 
dave s

Had a girlfriend with the same nick name..............

I have seen a Land Rover on which the owner transposed the emblem letters to read "very disco". 

In Russia, most models have a folk nickname. For example, the VAZ (Lada) 2101 is called "Kopek" ("Penny"), the GAZ 24 Volga is "Barge", the ZAZ-965 is "Hunchback", the ZAZ-968 is "Big Ears" , the UAZ van is "Bread loaf", etc. 

4 hours ago, padgett said:

Will two Studes rev the same as a S2000 ? (early high revving ?)

Only reason I do not have a friend's '90 S2000 is the cloth top.

It would take three to hit the 9000 mark. 
Loved the S2000 when it hit 6000 it just put you right back in the seat. Great on the back roads of Kentucky. 
dave s 

On 4/28/2020 at 9:06 AM, Buffalowed Bill said:

A friend and coworker with a rye sense of humor would make statements with the hats he wore and the tea shirts that he had printed . He was a young family man who only had to commute of about fifteen miles a day, so he searched out those big luxury cars, which usually belonged to older people. They were well taken care of, garaged, comfortable and cheap. One day he showed up with a beautiful early 1970's Buick two door htp. As I looked over the car, i just burst out laughing. He had printed a bumper sticker "The facial fuel eliminator."

I guess you meant 'wry' sense of humour - unless he liked his whiskey.

Rye is a good Maryland drink though anymore I prefer Jameson's.

Thought a 760 was a Volvo. Learn something daily.

When you don't commute you have a lot of choices. Suspect many are finding that telecommuting is good and computers are cheap.

Haven't needed any gas since was over $2/gal.

Just an hour a day in the garage can get a lot done.

My Judge was a $600 gas-guzzler in the mid-80s. Dropping in a 350 was common and I have the plans for adding OD to a Saginaw (drill one hole, shorten driveshaft).

Had a BMW even a thief would turn up their nose at: a 1970 2000A (not a 2002). Wife wanted a BMW so I got her one. Still remember C&D voting the BMW "The best sports sedan under $2,000" (and Mercedes makes the world's best taxicabs).

If you do not like the weather, just wait an hour.

6 hours ago, padgett said:
 Still remember C&D voting the BMW "The best sports sedan under $2,000" (and Mercedes makes the world's best taxicabs).

Must be inflation. Darn thing depreciates like a Duesenberg in wartime.

Sticker-1.thumb.JPG.b14fcf117082e22265ef4f34e795b784.JPG

Chevrolet's Stove Bolt Six, the one that came out in 1929.

Those light weight versions that came out starting in 1962 never used stove bolts to hold them together.😉

Duce and a Quarter is not a nickname, it is the  name of the Electra 225 in some geographical areas.😁

When I bought my first car in high school in 1974 it was a 68 Olds Toronado , rather big car but it looked sporty, a few years latter I bought a 1978 Toronado which not only was it a big car, it looked even bigger. A friend who was a teacher nicknamed my car “ Boaticus Maximus “ I do not think he taught Latin, but it makes me laugh when I remember those days

Won a national fuel economy rally with a deuce and a quarter. (aka Electric Buick

Put a deuce and a half ( 6 by) on top of Green Mountain on Ascension Island (been everywhere) on a bet. Loser was supposed to get it back down. Think it may still be there.