WANTED: 1956 Chrysler horn ring

Well, it finally happened, the cracked horn ring on Melanie's 1956 Windsor wagon finally gave up and broke. We found that someone had glued a nail in one of the rings to hold it together, but it was inevitable. Looking on eBay, these are apparently quite rare, although 1956 Desoto rings seem fairly common. Does anyone know if they interchange? I'd be willing to run a Desoto horn ring until we find a correct one. The broken stubs look awful and it's breaking Melanie's heart--she's blaming herself even though the horn ring was on borrowed time anyway. 

So does anyone have a decent one they'd be willing to part with? Please let me know. Thank you!

Here's what it looks like:

DSC_7445.thumb.JPG.b0f38380bfe56b2e5b0c753c0a51692d.JPG  HornRing.jpg.ddb259e78aad3708d876d02eb38b70c8.jpg

Yes, I agree they are hard to find!  I had mine break (grandkids) it had also been repaired . It had broken in 2 places and was not able to be repaired again. I asked for help on the forum and Jack came to the rescue.  He supplied me with one that had only a single break . I took to my bloke for repair , he said that it was a common fault and he would try to repair it. He soldered a nail in place to give it extra strength then rechrome the ring. Now I keep the grandkid away from the horn and look for a good spare. but I'm still looking . I did see one , new old parts around $1300.00. Too rich for me! I have seen a few cars where the outer ring has been totally removed. That work but doesn't look as good!   Good luck with the search!

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well, it finally happened, the cracked horn ring on Melanie's 1956 Windsor wagon finally gave up and broke. We found that someone had glued a nail in one of the rings to hold it together, but it was inevitable. Looking on eBay, these are apparently quite rare, although 1956 Desoto rings seem fairly common. Does anyone know if they interchange? I'd be willing to run a Desoto horn ring until we find a correct one. The broken stubs look awful and it's breaking Melanie's heart--she's blaming herself even though the horn ring was on borrowed time anyway. 

So does anyone have a decent one they'd be willing to part with? Please let me know. Thank you!

Here's what it looks like:

DSC_7445.thumb.JPG.b0f38380bfe56b2e5b0c753c0a51692d.JPG  HornRing.jpg.ddb259e78aad3708d876d02eb38b70c8.jpg

Hi Matt,

Desoto is completely different and will not interchange. 55 and 56 Chrysler and Imperial use the same horn ring. They do break easily and are pricey when you find them.

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

I found 2 ads on Craigslist: one for a 56 Imperial and the other a 56 New Yorker.  Both are project cars but both ads state they have boxes of parts and/or an additional parts car. Neither has a phone # so you would have to rely on Craigslist's email.

image.png.2d7300b43f94d1a610e5aaf572f7f9b3.png

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/d/north-lakewood-1956-imperial-coupe

image.png.56b76eba1689ef9199e396c5bc46957d.png

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/menifee-rare-collectors-1956-chrysler

The New Yorker ad says that he has a parts car also.  Maybe there is an extra horn ring.

Hope something good comes of it!  

JP

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My 56 ring was broken. Librandi plating in Harrisburg did a beautiful job reinforcing, soldering and replating my ring. Tod Librandi knows how to charge but does very nice work........bob

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the leads guys. Haven't found one yet, but it's now wearing a Desoto horn ring that looks decent. If I don't run across one in the next few months, I'll send it to one of the chrome shops and let them repair it. That seems like a reasonable alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Thanks for the leads guys. Haven't found one yet, but it's now wearing a Desoto horn ring that looks decent. If I don't run across one in the next few months, I'll send it to one of the chrome shops and let them repair it. That seems like a reasonable alternative.

Hi Matt... I sold you the wire wheels for your wagon. I've been looking out for a horn ring for you and have a line on one, rechromed for $375 from a reputable MOPAR guy that actually lives near your area. Send me a pm and I'll give you his contact info. Hate to put another persons contact info out on the internet. I found it on a post so my guess is it won't be available for long.

Regards,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Hi Matt, just curious. Were you able to purchase the horn ring for Melanie's wagon?

7 hours ago, dpcdfan said:

Hi Matt, just curious. Were you able to purchase the horn ring for Melanie's wagon?

We've got plans to go visit his shop, which isn't far away. Just haven't had the time to get away and pay him a visit.

• Like 1