gummed up fuel system.. Help.

robbie671967

My plan is always to spend the least amount of money getting the car to start.  If more severe problems become known during the preliminary start such as cracked block or bad internals, then I've saved my money for other decisions.

Phase I:Carefully drain the existing fuel from the fuel tank and lines.  Gas with stabilizer only extends the life of fuel for several months, though Stabil boasts 24 months.  Disconnect fuel line at carb, add rubber hose extension to reach empty gas can, add a 1/2 gallon or so of fresh fuel to the tank and with distributor wire removed, turn over the engine to pump fresh gas through the system.  Then:

• Check oil level
  • Check radiator coolant level
  • check battery for charge or borrow battery from operational car

Reconnect, add a couple more gallons of gas to the tank then attempt to start the car.  If the car runs ok then:

Phase II:

• Service brakes by flushing old fluid.  Check for leaks, be aware that the master and slave cylinders might need to be rebuilt based on their age since the car was shut down.
  • Flush and replace coolant
  • Change oil and filter
  • Check points, file and regap
  • Check trans fluid.
  • Replace battery
  • Rebuild carburetor
  • check charging system
  • Refer to owners manual for regularly scheduled maintenance.

Be careful during the gas flushing operation.  Do not add gas to the carb with the engine running or turning over - a misfire could ignite the can in your hands.  Dispose of all fluids properly, if in California pray for that opportunity.

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)