Restoring 1955 Firedome - New to Forum

RambosRide

Hello!

I'm starting a "driver" level restoration on a 1955 DeSoto 4dr Firedome, so thought I'd join here and share my journey and hopefully get to ask lotsa questions!

I got involved after most of the tear down had already been done.

I was taught old-school - back in the early 80's and that you do your metal fab and fitting before starting any bodywork.

Sadly this car has some tough rust issues - especially the rear quarter panels behind wheels.

Luckily I was able to find a company in Toronto that had some old factory or aftermarket rear qtr. patch panels (no one else had them for 1955)

I used them to re-engineer the inner structure to a reasonable facsimile so I could have something to weld to!

Just got the inner structure welded in yesterday and should have the outer patch done sometime next week.

- Dan

QtrMashup.jpg

• Like 3

Body damage is one thing. Dealing with rust is a whole different game. Nice to see your going to put the DeSoto back on the road. 👍

Best of luck with your project. 

• Like 1

Good luck on the project and the body work.....

Once you are past all of that , and are ready to attack the brakes, front end, etc., etc. -- I have all the mechanical parts for your DeSoto....

(I have five myself -- a 1955 and four -- 1957s...)

Yours, Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935 ..... New York...

• Like 1