Sign in to follow this  
6T-FinSeeker

1957 Buick Super Riviera - Not Mine - Relisted 5/16 - 6/10 Ad Deleted

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For Sale on Ebay:   1957 Buick Super Riviera 2-door Hardtop in Simi Valley, California  -  NO RESERVE  -  Ebay Seller:  2hipgottago

                                 

PLEASE CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS................(805) TWO-ZERO-SIX-ONE-TWO-EIGHT-FOUR

 

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Buick-Super-SUPER-Riviera-2dr-Hardtop

 

Seller's Description:

1957 Buick Super Riviera 2dr Hardtop....NO RESERVE.......

SUPER CLEAN, SUPER ORIGINAL BARN FIND BUICK AT NO RESERVE.......

This is a two long term owner car with a receipt book and copy of original title back to 1957 which is amazing.

This car looks to be all original paint on a never hit body with no dents or dings,, great chrome and bright work and super original interior showing some wear on seats but overall unbelievably nice.

This Buick Super sports power steering, power brakes, padded dash, wide whitewalls and a super strong running original V/8 motor that runs out strong and drives out very nice.

This is a Super unmolested, Super straight, Super hard to find Original car with paperwork which can be driven and enjoyed as it is or restored to grand award winning form very easily.

Car is in fantastic condition overall but paint is worn on roof and a few other smaller areas, car runs and drives very nice but needs a squirt of carb starter fluid to fire up (needs carb rebuilt I believe)

Cars this original and documented are almost impossible to find anymore and a 2 door BUICK SUPER in a great color, Well this is it.

 

image.png.560500d79d16f6522607cf082d2b54d8.png

 

image.png.6428a3cdf51b2b424327146da478ba3f.png

 

image.png.dc929356c38f11f8e300217244fe5647.png

 

image.png.defa99c3f642022e4dafebbd715e7e9d.png

 

image.png.1a9c2293912fe7afa20f641c30934649.png

 

image.png.46fb923eafbe94d83bfe740910b36f48.png

 

image.png.f0d2050e674c824e4ef63c68f8e6ae0d.png

 

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting this one.  I love it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting case study here will need to follow.  Trivial riddle, but have always wondered ... when GM was assembling this era of  Buick and it's brothern, just exactly when was the production tag a fixed  onto the firewall near brake booster. At what stage was it  actually attached to the body shell upon delivery from Fisher Body ?  ...  Before it went through painting or after it was painted ?  One would think the firewall ID tag would be placed before anything was done to the body shell as it has all the codes fixed to it then go on from there.  If so, this then begs the question, would the tag then not be completely painted over as the assembly painters sprayed the entire body to the paint code indicated on the tag ?  Personally, I have seen the tags both ways, either painted over but the vast majority of the time they appear just like this one as non painted and have no paint on them.  If this is indeed a surviving factory paint car, and this tag has just the edges painted over, apparently the painters at the factory would what, place a card or something over it so as not to paint over the tag entirely and this one just happened to get some body shell paint on it ?  

 

Has anyone the factory correct answer to this Trivial Riddle ?  

 

22937683_ORIGINALFIREWALLVINTAG-1.thumb.jpg.ee741a028117ed1d0fd528db4eee0451.jpg

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, buick man said:

Interesting case study here will need to follow.  Trivial riddle, but have always wondered ... when GM was assembling this era of  Buick and it's brothern, just exactly when was the production tag a fixed  onto the firewall near brake booster. At what stage was it  actually attached to the body shell upon delivery from Fisher Body ?  ...  Before it went through painting or after it was painted ?  One would think the firewall ID tag would be placed before anything was done to the body shell as it has all the codes fixed to it then go on from there.  If so, this then begs the question, would the tag then not be completely painted over as the assembly painters sprayed the entire body to the paint code indicated on the tag ?  Personally, I have seen the tags both ways, either painted over but the vast majority of the time they appear just like this one as non painted and have no paint on them.  If this is indeed a surviving factory paint car, and this tag has just the edges painted over, apparently the painters at the factory would what, place a card or something over it so as not to paint over the tag entirely and this one just happened to get some body shell paint on it ?  

 

Has anyone the factory correct answer to this Trivial Riddle ?  

 

22937683_ORIGINALFIREWALLVINTAG-1.thumb.jpg.ee741a028117ed1d0fd528db4eee0451.jpg

 

Yes Buick man, it was applied before painting.  You will always see a little paint around the edges if you look carefully.  They probably had a standard decal with light glue they applied.  Every 57 I've seen with an unmolested firewall (more than I can remember) has been this way.  If you see one painted over either it's been painted later in life or somebody forgot to apply the cover to it before painting.

 

I just removed the tag from my 75R yesterday actually.  It has thin stripes of original paint on the sides and no paint underneath.  I would have left it since I am only restoring the firewall as much as I need to, but surface rust had started underneath so I need to abate that.  It also still had the original putty over the rivets.  The rivets were aluminum and had the hole in the middle, hence the putty for a water seal.  Another interesting tidbit... the putty appeared black but upon removing it I discovered it was white and had just collected dirt over the years! 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanks a lot Sir Lance for that clarification.  If it is just blush rust then use a catalyzed epoxy primer with a 2X reduction factor and use a Air Brush to finely apply as needed. The epoxy primer will always put to bed surface blush rust.  I like using SPI ( Southern Polyurethanes Inc ) Epoxy Primer. Big work window and easy to apply.  They are out of Georgia.  Now I guess you will be demonized if you do not find some original hollow point aluminum rivets and replace like with like as they can be sourced unless you have some way of replacing the originals back into place.  What always grates me is observing rusting Ace Hardware  hex head screws in place of the original factory rivets someone felt a need to drill out and makes me wonder if someone just switched tags or made up their own to accommodate all the new accessories they added that was not factory original.  I have seen that switcher dance on high dollar convertibles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, buick man said:

Tanks a lot Sir Lance for that clarification.  If it is just blush rust then use a catalyzed epoxy primer with a 2X reduction factor and use a Air Brush to finely apply as needed. The epoxy primer will always put to bed surface blush rust.  I like using SPI ( Southern Polyurethanes Inc ) Epoxy Primer. Big work window and easy to apply.  They are out of Georgia.  Now I guess you will be demonized if you do not find some original hollow point aluminum rivets and replace like with like as they can be sourced unless you have some way of replacing the originals back into place.  What always grates me is observing rusting Ace Hardware  hex head screws in place of the original factory rivets someone felt a need to drill out and makes me wonder if someone just switched tags or made up their own to accommodate all the new accessories they added that was not factory original.  I have seen that switcher dance on high dollar convertibles.

Oh heck no I won't be using screws!  I'll use aluminum rivets as original and apply some white plumber's putty on top.

 

I plan to use por-15 under it to ensure it doesn't rust again.

 

Attached is pic of data plate of coupe before removal.

 

20170512_145124_001.thumb.jpg.29af0b15cce6f098d37562e9483cf158.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This car did not sell at Ebay auction for second time at $13,100.

 

Seller listed car on Craigslist 5/16 for $16,500 

No phone # provided, reply to Seller through Craigslist email to be4b27da6c0b3922bf1f99388ed94e45@sale.craigslist.org

 

 

PLEASE CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS................(805) TWO-ZERO-SIX-ONE-TWO-EIGHT-FOUR  (phone # from Ebay listing)

 

Link:  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/simi-valley-1957-buick-super/7125201649.html 

 

 

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

This car did not sell at Ebay auction for second time at $13,100.

 

Seller listed car on Craigslist 5/16 for $16,500 

No phone # provided, reply to Seller through Craigslist email to be4b27da6c0b3922bf1f99388ed94e45@sale.craigslist.org

 

 

PLEASE CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS................(805) TWO-ZERO-SIX-ONE-TWO-EIGHT-FOUR  (phone # from Ebay listing)

 

Link:  https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/simi-valley-1957-buick-super/7125201649.html 

 

 

Wow!  Unreal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lancemb said:

Wow!  Unreal

Well with 30+ million out of work, our 401ks in the toilet, etc....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Well with 30+ million out of work, our 401ks in the toilet, etc....

But I've seen some really good prices the whole time.  I've even sold a couple things the last couple months I've had for sale a long time.

 

But the real wow is that 2x in a row the high bidder would not follow through. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this