color impact on resale

9 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Apparently this was a factory color scheme from Studebaker:

2v2EgzMPrx2zUmm.jpg

According to the owner, these were special showcase models that were quite limited...he gave us the production numbers but I can't recall. This car won the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club award at the 2019 Poughkeepsie Galleria car show.

That is correct, the combination is called Hialeah Lime/Sun Valley Yellow.  

That particular model is called the President Speedster which was a mid-year 1955 offering and 2215 were made, though not all were this color combination.

More here----->  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/86277-factory-colors-on-speedsters

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Melanie and I were having this conversation just this morning. She saw this car...

...and thought it was ugly. Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But I love it. If you're going to have a car of that vintage, why not have the most outrageous color combination possible? It's distinctive, rare, and period-correct. I love it because it's right for the car and the period. Red or black or blue? Bo-ring.

This cool GTO was virtually sales-proof, but I thought it was awesome. Rare Iris Mist with Parchment interior. Gorgeous and correct. Most guys couldn't find the backbone to own it and  most said they wanted an ordinary black or red one. Too bad. The guy who bought this car got the only one that will ever show up anywhere and I don't think anyone is questioning his manhood.

013.jpg

Again, it all boils down to is it correct? The designers of the period knew what they were doing and you should trust their judgement. Painting your 1936 Packard the same color as your new Mercedes because everyone tells you how pretty it is, well, that's always a mistake.

There have been a couple of Iris Mist '65 GTO's at the Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals in Chicago over the years, including this one.

In 1963, Oldsmobile offered 'Rose Mist' as did Studebaker.

Craig

65_GTO_IM_1.jpg

65_GTO_IM_2.jpg

63_Starfire.jpg

04pcam05a.JPG

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

The 69 Cadillac orchid was late in the lavender run, as others show.  The other Cadillac purple was a very dark metallic - looked good on closed cars with black top/interior. 

In 1966, Pontiac offered Plum Mist metallic.  The same shade was also offered on GM's other four North American car divisions under different names.

The best form of flattery was when Bob Marcks, who worked for Marcks, Hazelquist & Powers, who was in charge of updating the Studebaker designs for 1966 and 1967 Studebakers (the 1967 never happened) insisted on offering a dark purple shade after seeing a brand new 1966 Buick Riviera parked in downtown Detroit in that dark plum color.  Below is Bob Marcks at a seminar in 2010 at the SDC International Meet, and a rendering for a possible 1967 or 1968 Studebaker.

A Grande Parisienne in Plum Mist, and a 1966 Studebaker in P6490 Plum.

15sr034.jpg

Moby_Grape_b.jpg

10sdc140.jpg

10sdc093.jpg

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

There were 98 1969 Mercury Cougars painted this color.

I've always been a fan of these first gen Cougars. Very underrated and still a bargain today compared to the Mustangs of the same era.

I love this color, which I've never seen on an early Cougar before but it's funny to see the paint name as simply "Purple" no sexy or performance based designation, just purple. :lol:

I'm curious about the "Factory attached" Life Insurance. Any idea what that was all about.

Greg

purple.jpg.2393115516aec616c8f6db558d0b8b60.jpg

2 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

I've always been a fan of these first gen Cougars. Very underrated and still a bargain today compared to the Mustangs of the same era.

I love this color, which I've never seen on an early Cougar before but it's funny to see the paint name as simply "Purple" no sexy or performance based designation, just purple. :lol:

I'm curious about the "Factory attached" Life Insurance. Any idea what that was all about.

Greg

As somebody that owned a 68 & 69 I mostly agree.   The Cougar guys are a little odd,  they tend to name their cars (girls names)  and complain about the Mustang guys.    Of course, the cars themselves, except for sheet metal are almost identical.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Apparently this was a factory color scheme from Studebaker:

2v2EgzMPrx2zUmm.jpg

2v2EgzMFNx2zUmm.jpg

2v2EgzM6Mx2zUmm.jpg

2v2EgzMT2x2zUmm.jpg

2v2EWdRcjx2zUmm.jpg

According to the owner, these were special showcase models that were quite limited...he gave us the production numbers but I can't recall. This car won the Town of Newburgh Model Car Club award at the 2019 Poughkeepsie Galleria car show.

I'm sure I saw this car or one identical to it a couple of years ago in a private collection. I thought it was a very interesting combination, my wife - not so much. I like unusual things and this one would tick all the boxes! Love it!!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Greg

purple.jpg.2393115516aec616c8f6db558d0b8b60.jpg

The purple shade was chosen from Ford's 'Fleet Colors' binder. I have actually seen one of these binders, from 1971, and of the 300+ color chips within it, none had an actual color name, just that number as stated on the Marti report.  

Here is the owner's website which details this car, Rocky Mountain Life Insurance Company, and the rest of the fleet:  http://www3.telus.net/nowland/site/index.htm

Craig

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The purple shade was chosen from Ford's 'Fleet Colors' binder. I have actually seen one of these binders, from 1971, and of the 300+ color chips within it, none had an actual color name, just that number as stated on the Marti report.  

Here is the owner's website which details this car, Rocky Mountain Life Insurance Company, and the rest of the fleet:  http://www3.telus.net/nowland/site/index.htm

Craig

Yes Craig, I see now. I didn't realize this was a "fleet only" color. I guess that explains why I've never seen it.   So could one assume that all 98 of these purple Cougars were ordered by this same company, Rocky Mountain Insurance? If so it must have been an enormous company to order that many and, if not, it seems odd that any other company would order a fleet of Cougars in the same rare color.

These must be fairly collectible in Canada.

Greg

How about this Mid Night Green GTO I purchased last November.

Original color according to the Data plate was Matador Red. Would I have purchased the GTO if it had been the original color.

Probably not since I already have a Red Mahogany Car in the garage. 😀

778277146_1969GTOExteriorRight.thumb.JPG.787406471c85c2465ff0e574e2982896.JPG769616450_1969GTOExteriorLeft.thumb.JPG.2abd5873b2c577aa46f377bcfd2dcb01.JPG

Edited by Packin31 (see edit history)
13 minutes ago, Packin31 said:

Original color according to the Data plate was Matador Red. Would I have purchased the GTO if it had been the original color.

Probably not since I already have a Red Mahogany Car in the garage.

I feel the same way.  I have several cars, and 

I appreciate having a variety of colors.  Along with

a variety of makes and models, the variety of

colors makes the collection, I think, more interesting.