Nolan Walker

How can i maintain a car during lockdown?

Hey buddy,
I am from New jersey and I would like to know your opinions about an  how to maintain car during lock-down ( COVID-19).  I read a couple of blogs on car maintenance during lock-down, so just checking on it. There are new updates and developments everyday, so i would like your  opinions about this.

Posted (edited)

If it is your every day driver, nothing needs to be done.

On your old vehicle, I would recommend getting out the owners manual if you have one and do everything on the "maintenance" list.  It will take some time, keep you busy and get your vehicle ready for driving. 

If you do not have a manual, there are enough of us here that can give you a long list of things to check and do. Just let us know and we can start making a list for you.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you are taking about modern cars, here is what I do.

First, my modern daily drivers are a 2002 and 2003.

If I don't plan on driving my car for a week or so, I will start them every three or four days and let the car run for five minutes.   At least one of my modern cars tends to run rough for a minute or two after starting if it sits for a week or two so staring it every few days resolves that issue  

My modern cars also tend to drain the battery after sitting for 2 weeks so starting them every few days will top off the battery charge.

I don't do anything special for my antique cars.  They can sit in the garage for 4 or 5 months and start right up, except the gas evaporates from the Carburetor on my 1933 Chevrolet and I would need to give it a shot of starting fluid.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I rotate a NAPA 10 Amp charger/Tender about a week or two on the newer 12V cars in the garage.

The main reason I bought it was to be sure the 2003 that I consider one of my collector cars does not drop below the threshold of the ODB2 monitors. They can be very hard to reset. It also has a setting for AGM batteries. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBC85510

I have an old NAPA Schumacher 6/12V 10 amp for the older cars, but they can sit for a couple of months and hold their charge. The don't have any legal impediments attached to their electrical system anyway.

OBD2 monitors are my basic concern. Otherwise I let them sit. I do not periodically start them unless I drive at lease 10 miles. All that does is fill the exhaust system with condensation. And potentially mix condensation into the drive train lubrication. I had to move my wife's car 3 feet to the right last week and drove it 15 miles to be sure everything came up to operating temperature.

About 6 years ago I started maintaining the garage to a minimum of 40 degrees all winter. I can tell the difference in the cars not getting dew and all the supplies not freezing. I live in a cold place during winter and the cost for natural gas has only exceeded $350 one year. And that includes turning it up to work.

I wouldn't go through a lot of gyrations. When it warms a little caress it with a soft cloth and detailer.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, ted sweet said:

my antiques  wont come out of storage until virus concerns are over

So you don't want to drive them this year? The way they are going I don't think they will sound the full all clear this season.  I'm optimistic but I see how things are running and the lack of the professionals making predictions to get anything right to date. Flattening the curve turned into creating a great plain yet to be crossed.

• Like 1

That's an unfortunate choice.  What better way to pass the time than to take the old car out for a spin?  It is the ultimate in social distancing.   You're in your car, by yourself, with nobody anywhere near you, just out for a drive to nowhere.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Pete O said:

...It is the ultimate in social distancing.   You're in your car, by yourself, with nobody anywhere near you, just out for a drive to nowhere.

This. Also, no reason we can't press the oldies into service for essential errands:

1879361557_Groceryrun.thumb.jpeg.37c74bdd4fc2ec85ba6201aba96c8859.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Business as usual, but just mail order everything you need and then let it sit for a couple days post delivery. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

So you don't want to drive them this year? The way they are going I don't think they will sound the full all clear this season.  I'm optimistic but I see how things are running and the lack of the professionals making predictions to get anything right to date. Flattening the curve turned into creating a great plain yet to be crossed.

unless i drive in circles i have no where to go

• Like 1

Can always jack up the drive wheels and go through the gears. If rattles apply a little parking brake.

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

the lack of the professionals making predictions

The professionals are saying they want more statistics. I have been watching the published statistics. They appear to normalize data based on populations of 100,000.

The county to my west has a population of 56,000. There have been 22 cases and 1 death. Normalized to 100,000, the statistic shows 37.9 cases and 1.7 deaths.

What did the guy say "Houston, I think we have a problem".

Here is a good resource: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

3 hours ago, ted sweet said:

That's the best place to go,  For a drive nowhere in particular.  Remember when you first got your license and didn't need an excuse to go for a drive? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

That's the best place to go,  For a drive nowhere in particular.  Remember when you first got your license and didn't need an excuse to go for a drive? 

Just pack a picnic lunch and find a secluded glen. Our Governor won't let us go out and play. I look at it as if we are being tested to see how compliant we will be. Who is winning in this game?

atom bomb.jpg

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

I just buy more old car parts to help out..

And try to  keep the wife happy.. Here is what she likes..

IMG_6076[25012].JPG

IMG_6077[25014].JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I'm mostly doing what I used to do in winter back when I lived East: Starting each car about once a week, letting the oil get warm, driving up and down the drive way to get moving a bit, etc.  I haven't yet ventured out on to the roads mostly because I'm paranoid I'll have a problem and get stuck.  It's unlikely, but If that happens, I don't know if I can get a tow, or if a shop that could work on the car is open. But I'm probably just being paranoid, and I'll probably venture out for a real drive eventually. 

No one is totally locked down. You can still go get groceries. It doesn't have to be done in a new car. The cars, themselves, cannot catch a virus. (Well, maybe the new computer everything ones, but that's a whole other topic)

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 8:50 AM, ted sweet said:

my antiques  wont come out of storage until virus concerns are over

Sorry to hear that.  I will drive my antique auto as much as I can.  The virus is no barrier.  

Nobody wants to ride with me anyways.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ted sweet said:

What state do you live in that you believe that you can't take your car our for a drive?  I don't care what stay at home orders the governors have put in place, this is still America and you have the right to drive your car wherever you want.  When this is over, I can't wait for the lawsuits to start over how these orders have infringed on our constitutional rights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Just pack a picnic lunch and find a secluded glen. Our Governor won't let us go out and play. I look at it as if we are being tested to see how compliant we will be. Who is winning in this game?

atom bomb.jpg

The ones "winning" in this "game" are the ones who stay secluded and never get the crud.

Agree though am leaving the tops up and breathing AC through new cabin filters (have a long history or respiratory issues, running a mile in basic about killed me). Last car I bought new is now over 8 years old and still "new". Have had cars go from new to old to antique (in Florida) before. Figure I have about one more "new" car in me and looking at 2000-2006 models (debating on a manual trans.

Not so much "taking a drive" as "only leaving the house if needful".

Expect a vaccine this summer and hopefully will not kill to many recipients.

This has been a great time for reclusive car guys like myself. I'm putting hardly any miles on my newer car so no maintenance is necessary. I take my wagon out at least once a week in dry weather and light traffic means I can do it anytime and go wherever I want. My 34 Chevy is jacked up for a bunch of checklist items that I planned to do anyway but all the time on my hands made starting the project a natural. I mail order all parts and supplies pretty much like I did before. The thing I miss - like everyone else - is going out to cars and coffee, shows, etc. 

Here in central Wisconsin there has never been a better time to take out the old cars and I have been, almost daily.

Highway traffic is almost negligible compared to what is normal around here.

Having gas prices hovering around $1.35 + or - doesn't hurt either....... 👍