Sign in to follow this  
Steve_Mack_CT

Pebble Beach cancelled

I imagine given the prep involved it could not be avoided.  Not even thinking about the H word...

Benefits of AACA Membership.

It was coming. I cant wait for Christmas to get cancelled,  that would suit me just fine.

• Like 6

Here is a link to the Pebble Beach Concours website:

https://pebblebeachconcours.net/event-update/

The reason for the cancellation of this August concours

is, they say, the long preparation time for this particular

event.  People had been recently notified of their cars'

selection, and some were already getting ready to put

their cars on boats and planes for the long trip.

Not a surprise. 

Good for PB that invites to the 2020 concours are now just pushed back to 2021; no one loses an earned spot.  Let's hope everything is back to normal by August 2021!

• Thanks 1

I couldn't find a picture that included you Orin.  Sorry.

Can't decide if I look forward to Pebble, Hershey or spring more.    I'm not surprised it was canceled.   And on the same theme I hope they cancel winter this year too.

IMG_3107.JPG

• Like 2

Pebble is a much different event then Hershey as you all know.  With so many car owners and judges coming from Europe that posed a huge problem for them.  They had to make an early call.  Hershey is over 5 months away.  Our state is being re-opened to commerce slowly and we understand that Hersheypark wants to open sometime this summer.  So, unless things go south, national would still like to see the event take place.  Way too early to speculate anything other than it is still on the schedule along with some events that will take place sooner.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Very sad, not only from a pure event standpoint, though "for the love of the cars on the field"  - allows you the first glimpse of truly fabulous cars on a "see it here first" basis.  

• Thanks 1

I have worked for PBC for over 25 years.  Very sad for all of the employees and vendors that support the event, as well as the disappointment for all participants and attendees.  

It is a challenge, but we have to stay strong, think positive and be patient.  Remember our roots as Americans, of how we bond together to overcome near impossible odds, and achieve our goals.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And restoration shops around the world breathe a sigh of relief and look forward to not sleeping on the ratty old couch in the shop office for the entire month of July.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, Matt Harwood said:

And restoration shops around the world breathe a sigh of relief and look forward to not sleeping on the ratty old couch in the shop office for the entire month of July.

Matt not addressed to you, but your quote brought to mind a story I see regularly:  My dad did a company sale, built a headquarters, and released over 100 new surgical instruments in a year - he said the time was ripe to plant footing and be the dominate player (and that company today is still dominate, but they now buy their technology verses design it).  An, in that year (as really in every year), he flipped the business on its head .  That said, if you had a soccer game with your kids he was the first person to send you out the door to attend - but if there was a  new release get yourself back here afterward.  And, I saw the stress on his employees and there were few that could or would do the same pace as he does.    And a lot of people hated him for his lack of observance of their "space."  Well, the company retired him as they said the pace was unsubstainable.  And after that dad did same/similar for 5 other companies - planted footing and made them the dominate player.  Here is the funny thing though, as I run into his former employees they will tell you that they never again had the chance to do what they truly were trained to do, they never again found a manager who gave them as much design and project management freedom, and that in looking back it was the most exciting time of their career.    Today, I see a Tesla's Elon Musk having similar attributes to my dad in business - and when I hear someone complain it crosses my mind that they may be complaining about the most exciting thing they will ever do in their life.  AKA (also know as) be careful what you wish for. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You have NO idea how hard it is to be competitive and bring a car to PB. It's the best time of the year, and the busiest..........best to all.......😭

I built race cars throughout the '90s and have done the 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring, among others. I'm pretty sure I understand the thrash. Working in the trailer on the way to the race? Weeks of living at the shop? Living on coffee and Pop-Tarts? Sleeping on a creeper? Going home once a week to get another change of clothes and thinking your wife looks like a stranger and your house doesn't feel like home anymore?

Oh yes, I know the drill...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I worked for an upholsterer for a while who had (and still does) cars for PB, St. John's, etc. My reaction was "sleeping on the couch...how were you allowed to sleep in July?" 

Joking aside I know this is both a disappointment and a relief for many.

• Like 1

Bad all around.  Bad for all the peripheral businesses (hotels, restaurants, AirBNB, etc.) in the area that won't reap the millions that Pebble brought in, bad for the hauling companies and shops and support staff handling the cars.  This is just the tip of the iceberg with event cancellations everywhere for everything.  When you look at the American economy through the flywheel analogy, these actions are going to have very long term repercussions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agree W, but organizers have to make tough calls.  As Bob said life just got pushed up a year..

For me the hobby has two events Hershey and Pebble Beach, both uniquely different, I think of both events every day. So many great memories, I feel bad for all the people effected by the 2020 loss of the event. Bob 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Here is the funny thing though, as I run into his former employees they will tell you that they never again had the chance to do what they truly were trained to do, they never again found a manager who gave them as mush design and project management freedom, and that in looking back it was the most exciting time of their career.

Problem Solving is 90% the fun and makes the job enjoyable, (at least it does for me), and its the main reason I hate the thought of retirement, although it is looming on the horizon.

Craig

• Like 1

This gives me more time to save up for the trip. I’ve never been but since my brothers car has been picked, I’m not missing this for nothing. This dang virus better be gone by next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Steve, I bet Pebble Beach 2021 is going to be a great cerebration of the Return to Normal. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1