Build Date for 58 Bonneville

John Lau

Hello!  We are currently restoring under the hood of our 58 Bonneville.  It is a numbers-matching car. All of the dates of the engine parts are within about a week of each other.  The transmission looks original, but it is dated a few months after the engine. The car was assembled in Kansas City, so the engine had to be shipped there.  But my question is this:  Is there a build date for the car itself?  We have a 60 Ford Sunliner, and the build date (or expected completion date) is on the data plate.  I read that with Pontiacs, the date code on the block should be about the time that the car was completed. Any thoughts?  Thanks!

From a quick search I think that the build date - actually just the build week  - wasn't stamped on the body plate until 1961. 

Re the delay between component manufacture and build date one source said about six weeks. My 1965 Bonneville has a block casting date - from memory - of 30 July 1964 and the build date code is 09A - 1st week of September - which would bear that out.