Insert bearing connecting rods

60ch

Just out of curiosity, looked this up in a 36 King products catalog, and came up with questions...

As to dates, 32 for Chrysler (8s), 34 for DeSoto and 33 for Dodge and Pymouth per that catalog...

ALSO noted, under Dodge, two con rod bearings for various pre-1918 to 1928 4Cyl's, one of which is pictures and seems to have slightly raised sides similar to a main...

ALSO noted each of the four had bearings listed as  "   insert type to replace Cast-in-rod bearings"...

Both the "pre-28" bearings and the replacements were listed as inserts in the  catalogs numerical index, no mention of replacement rods ( I know some m'f'r's issued replacement inserted rods for some of their "poured" originals)....

(1)  So dodge had inserts, changed to poured and then back to inserts??

(2) How do you fit replacement inserts into the original poured rod, melt/grint out the babbitt???

Many thxx for any illumination...

FLYER: Yes, and if I remember correctly Foley(??)  offered that service too...

I was surprised the 36 catalog didn't mention the replacement inserts should be fitted by a machine shop, but it may've been so obvious it didn't have to be mentioned.....

I'm still sorting out Chrysler inserts; per my catalogs (weak reeds to lean on) some 32s had inserts but not all...

5 hours ago, Bud Tierney said:

FLYER: Yes, and if I remember correctly Foley(??)  offered that service too...

I was surprised the 36 catalog didn't mention the replacement inserts should be fitted by a machine shop, but it may've been so obvious it didn't have to be mentioned.....

I'm still sorting out Chrysler inserts; per my catalogs (weak reeds to lean on) some 32s had inserts but not all...

Why would the inserts need to be fitted by a machine shop? Mike the crank journal for diameter then select the bear set that is labeled as correct for the diameter. Not like a poured babbit bearing that would need line boring and/or scraping to fit.

16 hours ago, ply33 said:

Why would the inserts need to be fitted by a machine shop? Mike the crank journal for diameter then select the bear set that is labeled as correct for the diameter. Not like a poured babbit bearing that would need line boring and/or scraping to fit.

Perhaps to machine in the indentations in the rod and cap that lock the insert bearings in position to keep them from spinning in the rod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1