Old "Mallory" Electrical Component...Any Ideas?

Aaron65

After my grandma passed away about 11 years ago, my dad cleaned out her basement and brought home anything automobile related that he thought I might like.  I just got around to bringing most of that stuff home, which wasn't hard, as my mom and dad live about 6 blocks away from me.  :)  Anyway, in the bag was this old electrical component that I can't identify.  I've attached some pictures, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Nothing on the piece pivots or moves, in case you were wondering.  

007.JPG

011.JPG

It's definitely a coil.  Delco made many of this general type in the late teens / early 1920's. Then somewhere in the mid 20's the  " normal " cylindrical style took over. 

This one may not necessarily be as old as the 1920's. Mallory liked that design and produced a much more modern version from somewhere in the 1950's all the

way up very recent times.  Your coil may be the early version of Mallory's coil , possibly 1930's - 1940's . Or it may be a replacement for the teen's Delco.

Anyone have a collection of Mallory catalogs ?

Greg in Canada

untitledmallory.png

untitledmallory2.png

untitledmallory3.png

It certainly looks like the one in your center picture, Greg.  I didn't take a picture of the top side, but it has two connectors there in addition to the two that are visible in my pictures.  

It is an automotive coil, not unlike those used through the 1960s, but with leads on the side.

Mallory also promoted High-Tension, higher output for the performance and hot rod market.

2 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

It is an automotive coil, not unlike those used through the 1960s, but with leads on the side.

Mallory also promoted High-Tension, higher output for the performance and hot rod market.

here a couple of pics of a somewhat similar coil from our 1927 Chevy Capitol AA

0BF51932-8A9E-4FC6-9751-B1871A9775FB.jpeg

C4319009-0B62-4BA2-82D3-2A67FF8E782D.jpeg