39 Buick 46c restoration

This is a car I've owned since 1986 and it's been in the process of restoration for 20 years. Finally the paint was finished several weeks ago and my ego was promptly deflated by my wife. I proudly displayed  the enclosed picture and she calmly replied the car was painted canary sh$t yellow, but I think that was a Ford color.

This car has had quite a colorful life. The original owner ordered the 46c from the Buick dealership in Wenatchee Washington. Eventually the car was given to his son who would use it to go rabbit hunting through the eastern Washington sage brush. The second owner bought it in 1966 and the car was further abused in western Washington. By the time I purchased it in 1986 it was a complete derelict mess.

I am fortunate to have copies of the original paperwork tracing my car from being special ordered , being built in Flint, shipped to the zone dealership in Tacoma ,and delivered to Wenatchee where it was picked up by the original owner.

By the way my car is painted  the original color sequoia cream.

Thanks

Leif

IMG_0595.JPG

• Like 5

What they (wives) know MAY not matter !

What they THINK they know DOES matter !

How WE react to what they think they know affects how much we get to enjoy the hobby !

Respecting what they think they know,

Reacting appropriately without sounding condescending,

(REGARDLESS OF ACTUAL),

and then doing what was right in the first place, while making it obvious that it was what they really meant -

That is Politics !!

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Wives!!! What do they know?

Looking good.

Ben

8 hours ago, buick looks fine for 39 said:

This is a car I've owned since 1986 and it's been in the process of restoration for 20 years. Finally the paint was finished several weeks ago and my ego was promptly deflated by my wife. I proudly displayed  the enclosed picture and she calmly replied the car was painted canary sh$t yellow, but I think that was a Ford color.

This car has had quite a colorful life. The original owner ordered the 46c from the Buick dealership in Wenatchee Washington. Eventually the car was given to his son who would use it to go rabbit hunting through the eastern Washington sage brush. The second owner bought it in 1966 and the car was further abused in western Washington. By the time I purchased it in 1986 it was a complete derelict mess.

I am fortunate to have copies of the original paperwork tracing my car from being special ordered , being built in Flint, shipped to the zone dealership in Tacoma ,and delivered to Wenatchee where it was picked up by the original owner.

By the way my car is painted  the original color sequoia cream.

Thanks

Leif

IMG_0595.JPG

That color was only available from Buick on open cars.  Trust me, it will make a beautiful convertible.  I recently sold my 39 Special convertible sedan that I had owned from 1970-1985 and again from 2000-2019.  It was originally black with a brown interior but many years ago (about 1979) I repainted it Sequoia Cream and installed a new burgandy interior.  People (especially women) always told me what a beautiful car it was.  You still have to paint the wheels.  The books only show cream wheels, but there was a springtime introduction of Dante red wheels, but I don't like that look personally.  Many of the convertibles had the optional metal streamboards with rubber stonepads on the rear fenders.  They look really good.  On Facebook there is a 39 Buick owners site, and two people recently streetrodded a car with those.  They are available and you might want to get them.  Contact Mark Webb for info.

My 39 Phaeton.jpg

Shout out to Earl Beauchamp 

Years ago Earl was kind enough to give me the remaining original upholstery patterns from his 39 46c. Between his patterns and the patterns from 2 other 39 46cs I now have a complete set. I am collaborating with 2 other guys in the Portland Oregon area who are also restoring 39 convertible coupes and the patterns are going to be used by all of us.

Thanks again for the banter about my yellow car. I was not offended by my wife's comment; actually I thought it was funny 

Leif

• Like 1