Any Danger in Budd Steel Disc Wheels?

DB26

The biggest (but not the only) potential problem/danger with these wheels is the rust that often occurs in the bottom of the groove that the lock ring seats into. It can thin or weaken the rim to the point that it can break and send the ring flying when you inflate it, causing sever injury if you happen to be standing in the wrong place. I’ve only actually seen it happen once but judging from the dent the ring put in the wall i’m glad i

wasn’t in the way. Inspect everything carefully and make sure

the ring is fully seated before putting any air in, and then only a bit at a time checking things as you go. I’ve mounted a number of these on mine and customers cars with no issues.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, franklinman said:

The biggest (but not the only) potential problem/danger with these wheels is the rust that often occurs in the bottom of the groove that the lock ring seats into. It can thin or weaken the rim to the point that it can break and send the ring flying when you inflate it, causing sever injury if you happen to be standing in the wrong place. I’ve only actually seen it happen once but judging from the dent the ring put in the wall i’m glad i

wasn’t in the way. Inspect everything carefully and make sure

the ring is fully seated before putting any air in, and then only a bit at a time checking things as you go. I’ve mounted a number of these on mine and customers cars with no issues.

Leave the tube valve core out when first inflating so the tire will seat properly. Then re-install the valve stem core and re-inflate after the tire is seated.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information, everyone. I can see there is a danger, but not as bad as a rim found on an old truck or something, right? I have no need to disassemble the rims, but will be careful And stand out of the way in the future.