Radiator Cap for 1922 Buick Sports Roadster

P J Clawson

• 1 year later...

Larry, thank you for your information.  I'm pretty sure the inside diameter of the cap is 2-1/2".  I will verify this tomorrow.  Howard has a meter and wants a cap to put it on.  I can visualize the cap thread but I am unsure of how to explain to you what I see.  Sorry.

The cap with part number 39898 on the drawing you included looks like the one he has.

Howard is in the process of completing application for membership in the Buick Club.  He lives in Chanute Kansas.

Again, thank you.  

P J Clawson

pjwc4@att.net

Larry,

The 1922 Buick Sports Roadster radiator cap I am looking for is as follows:    Outside Diameter is 2-1/2".    Inside Diameter is 2".  There are five (5) threads and they appear to be "fine" as opposed to "coarse".  The cap is steel with what looks like to be a bakelite edge.

Do you know if a Durant radiator cap would possibly fit?

If you are comfortable to have Howard call you directly so the two of you can talk, please email me your telephone number and I will forward it to him.  My email is:  pjwc4@att.net.

Also, if you receive texts, I can forward pictures of the outside and inside of the radiator cap he has.

Thank you,   PJ

PJ:

What I posted is just informational. I have no reference for a Durand cap.

Checking what I have on my 1925 Master radiator is a 1.360 O.D. thread at 16 threads per inch. There are about 6 threads exposed on the filler neck. These are the same for 1924-1928 I believe. My 1925 Standard radiator filler neck is 2.060" So 2" estimate is correct. According to the 1929 Master parts book (revised #)184709 is the same cap for just about all Buicks from the early 2cyl model F through my 1925 standard 6. Changing in 1924 for the big 6. It does note that 1922 4 and 6 cylinder caps are the same. Pretty much a factory generic cap. Still does not address the "fancy dumbbell" style #157318 to use a motometer.

I will send you my phone # and that of my friend in South Hutchinson KS. who has a 1922 big 6 coupe.

He may have a lead on something Howard may need.

415006669_1923BuickRoadster_7.jpg.5a139a3cd76614fd1ffe263a7f9dbbc1.jpg

This is what was on the 1923-54 I tried to buy.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...