Gentlemen,

My 1935 Buick Special 46C has been stalling when I come to a stop.  I have bumped the idle up and that

seems to help.  It has been suggested that I run a can of carburetor cleaner through the gas tank to 

clean out the carburetor jets.  Has anyone done this?  Any issues with it damaging a 1935 car engine?  Does

this work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John P.  BCA #50690

1 hour ago, 1939 Cadillac LaSalle Coup said:

Gentlemen,

It has been suggested that I run a can of carburetor cleaner through the gas tank to 

clean out the carburetor jets.  Has anyone done this?  Any issues with it damaging a 1935 car engine?  Does

this work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John P.  BCA #50690

If you heed this "advice", this will be by far the most expensive can of anything you ever buy!

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

have two old cars     36 Plymouth ,,  used Hirsch gas tank coating when I bought it in the 80s    do you a small filter before carb   never had a problem   last summer had a problem with my 32 plymouth   I could see debris floating in the glass filter which is part of the fuel pump  then had a problem starting the car,,,I dropped the tank,,,,,got a small light in so I could see and noticed rust spots,,not that bad,,,flushed out,,and used Hirsch tank coating ,,,cleaned the filter on Pump---rebuilt carb-----problem solved---------if you have to increase the idle may be time to do a little laundry -------------------BR

PLYMOUTH P2 2.jpg

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

I would take a close look at the ignition system points, condenser, and advance mechanisms. Pin holes in vacuum lines are something overlooked as well.

Be careful about replacing a condenser just for general principal. It is a crap shoot whether a new one will be good. They are very poor quality. A known good one from a running car is really all I would trust. Only with that kind of proof would I replace a condenser with a new one. And I wouldn't trust the new one for at least a year.

A carburetor is just a pot of gasoline with some holes that gas gets sucked through. They get blamed for way more than they should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1