Getrag 284 clutch issue

I have a 1990 16 valve TC that has just under 38000 miles on it. I have had the car for seven years  and just love it. However I think the clutch is slipping. The car goes into winter storage every year but back on the road this year it does not seem to accelerate like it used to do.

Not that I floor it very often, but now it seems to rev very quickly ( into redline territory ) but without the strong acceleration surge and torque steer that I remember.

The build date on the car is October 1989. I have the red TC service manual but that seems to indicate that even the Chrysler dealers at the time could do little in the way of service on the Getrag transmission. Is the clutch throw adjustable? Driving it today it seems that all of the clutch engagement is in the top half of the pedal travel which makes me think that the clutch is not fully engaged. Or maybe this is normal. I have a very good independent transmission shop close to home but before I take the TC in I thought it would be appropriate to get

some input from the TC experts in our club. Thanks in advance and to all club members Stay Safe and Stay Healthy

Jim Bird

1 hour ago, Jim Bird said:

I have a 1990 16 valve TC that has just under 38000 miles on it. I have had the car for seven years  and just love it. However I think the clutch is slipping. The car goes into winter storage every year but back on the road this year it does not seem to accelerate like it used to do.

Not that I floor it very often, but now it seems to rev very quickly ( into redline territory ) but without the strong acceleration surge and torque steer that I remember.

The build date on the car is October 1989. I have the red TC service manual but that seems to indicate that even the Chrysler dealers at the time could do little in the way of service on the Getrag transmission. Is the clutch throw adjustable? Driving it today it seems that all of the clutch engagement is in the top half of the pedal travel which makes me think that the clutch is not fully engaged. Or maybe this is normal. I have a very good independent transmission shop close to home but before I take the TC in I thought it would be appropriate to get

some input from the TC experts in our club. Thanks in advance and to all club members Stay Safe and Stay Healthy

Jim Bird

Hello Jim, having built a car, an 85 Chrysler Laser, with an engine that was previously in a TC, and mounting a Getrag transaxle from a 90 TC behind it, I remember well the feel of that clutch pedal and the point of engagement verses the clutch pedal feel and engagement in my 89 TC with a 555 transaxle. With the Getrag, just as you mentioned, the clutch engagement does not begin to occur until the pedal is about half way up in it's travel. With the 555 in my TC, the engagement begins as soon as I begin to lift the clutch pedal from the floor, in fact, when I begin to back out of my garage, I cannot shift the 555 into reverse without grinding the gears. The 555 is NOT synchronized in reverse as the Getrag is. Therefore I park my TC with the shifter in reverse and hold both the clutch pedal and the brake pedal down as I fire up the engine.

So in short, I think your clutch engagement is working as it should.

One thing though, the only clutch pedal adjustment can be performed with you in the drivers seat and merely putting your left foot UNDER the clutch pedal and lifting it up toward yourself. This releases the clutch cable from the pedal mechanism, allowing self-adjustment and when you press down on the clutch pedal, the adjustment has been performed.

Looking in section 6-2, 6-3 provides a description of the operation in your 1990 Service manual.

Given Hemi's comments, there is probably not a problem with your clutch, but since you've had the car for 7 seven years and it feels different, there is a problem somewhere.  I'd check to make sure all the large hoses connected to the intercooler and turbo are tight, actually make that VERY tight.  I experienced the same phenomenon (easily rev to redline, but feels down on power) on one of my 90 16v cars and found a loose hose clamp at the intercooler.  I tightened the clamp and the car immediately felt the way it had previously until the problem reoccurred.  Sure enough, the same clamp had come loose.  I replaced that clamp, and all others, and the car has been fine since.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Hemi and Nile and Reaper for the suggestions. I did lubricate the clutch cable fittings and tightened all the turbo hoses. Did not seem to make much if any difference. Maybe my memory of the acceleration kick is not that good. The car runs well and at 80 plus years I really don't need to get anywhere in a big hurry. Car cruises comfortably and easily at more than legal highway speeds, so I will leave well enough alone and just " Enjoy The Ride"

Thanks again and stay safe in these strange times

• Like 1