Piddly Packard Project: Making a two-contact dome light switch

Bob Stein

The courtesy light switch for my 1941 Packard 1900 is deformed by age to the point it takes enough force to operate that it could easily break, not to mention a sagging appearance.  (I wish I could fix my own sagging appearance so easily).  I located what appeared to be an identical NOS switch on eBay (others available) for $20 and ordered it.  When I pulled the Packard switch out, I discovered that instead of one wire going to ground, it has two wires.  The NOS switch had a brass strip to the grounding rivet, so I carefully drilled out the rivet and bent the grounding strip up. I had to use an Exacto knife to cut the plastic alongside the strip to free it.  A #4 x 1/4 brass screw and nut was added to secure the wire.  I did use a bit of electrical tape as security, through the improvised contact is only slightly taller than the original.  However, the new switch works easily and looks really good. I have found the single-contact light switches in tan as well on Ebay, but was really happy to get the correct blue. That's it.  As noted, a piddly Packard project, but still an improvement.

packard_courtesy_light_switch.jpg

• Like 1