Willys knight 70B gear ratio change

Rusty_knuckle

Has anyone ever changed rear axle gears in a willys knight 70b rear end? I have a rolling frame that I was going to turn into a speedster with an old ford flathead v8 but I dont really want to run 60mph at 3500 rpm. I believe factory ratio was around 5:1. I'd like to get high 3's if I could. 

If it's already a bitsa with a flathead V8 (and I presume transmission?) why not just put in a different rear end with taller gears as well? Unlikely that there's a Willys-Knight rear end with a taller ratio and it's probably not worth the hassle of having custom gears made. There should be others that are the right width and which look suitably vintage to not seem out of place on a vintage speedster like that. Something from the late 40s or early '50s might have tall gears but not look like a GM 10-bolt or Ford 9-inch. Or something cool like a Columbia 2-speed rear end would give you a period look with taller gears for cruising.

That was kinda my thought process. If it was easy to do I'd just change them. Just wasn't sure if some weird gear set was out there someone had discovered would drop in. If it's not I can find an old ford rear end

But you're exactly on to what I'm trying to do. All old parts like they would have done in the 40's and 50s.