1936 Plymouth

broker-len

some my know that in 36,  Plymouth used just a cutout on the generator as per earlier cars on P1 and the new two stage amp regulator on P2-----my P2 has been running good till short while ago    it is charging at higher level no matter how long the run is,,the battery is reading 6.3 volts but it will not step down to lower level,,,,,,has any one run into this ???,,I have a spare regulator I can put on  ------------------Thanks

PLYMOUTH P2 2.jpg

1 hour ago, broker-len said:

some my know that in 36,  Plymouth used just a cutout on the generator as per earlier cars on P1 and the new two stage amp regulator on P2-----my P2 has been running good till short while ago 

Somehow I am misunderstanding your post. Could you clarify whether the car having the issue has a real voltage regulator or just a simple cutout?

1 hour ago, broker-len said:

it is charging at higher level no matter how long the run is,,the battery is reading 6.3 volts but it will not step down to lower level,,,,,,has any one run into this ???,,I have a spare regulator I can put on  ------------------Thanks

6.3 volts is the normal voltage for a fully charged battery at rest. If it has a regulator I would expect to see something like 7.5 volts (more or less) with the battery fully charged, the engine above idle and the charging system keeping up. It may be difficult to measure.

If there is only a simple cutout, the system will overcharge once the battery gets fully charged, its the nature of the beast. Lower current settings were used to avoid boiling the battery too much.

What exactly are you seeing?

P2    two stage regulator        when you start up it is charging on high then supposed to go down     my used to do that now it stays on high level     I under stand to much on high boil the battery and kill generator   have been running with lights on all the time     just wanted to get advise before I pull the regulator and not sure what to check  got the car in 80s and never had an issue

You could try disconnecting the field wire. That should make it stop charging. If it doesn't, it points to the generator itself. Make sure the field wire isnt bare and grounding out somewhere.

Take the regulator can off and see if the points are stuck. Be very gentle, as settings are made by bending things in there slightly.

If the points are stuck , carefully unstick them and clean them. A nailfile might work if the points gap is wide enough (don't change the gap). Maybe a razor blade. Avoid emery cloth or sandpaper or anything that might leave grit embedded in the points. One drag of the file oughta do it. Don't try to file them flat or make them new. There might be a layer of precious metal on the contacts, and if so you dont want to remove any. Flaws are ok, even pretty big ones. Just scrape the top layer of crud off the high spots. When done, drag a little strip of paper (printer paper is good) soaked in alcohol or brake cleaner between the points. Disconnect the battery while working inside there.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

thank you for the info !!!!! I do have it and an additional book---I guess I was trying to get away from taking the thing apart ----since it has been working for 30 year there must be something on the voltage regulator that has changed     maybe dirty points but riding on the generator can not get a good view      have to pull it off

Was the car out of service for a while? Some years back I had a 52 New Yorker I put back in commission, for months it only moved around the garage and yard. I charged up the new 6v battery from time to time and everything seemed fine. The first time I took it for a long drive it started off charging at a high rate (normal) but never came down. I thought when I get home I will have to look into the regulator but after almost 50 miles the charge rate dropped to normal. Evidently it took that long to fully charge the battery. I didn't think it was that low but, who knows. What I am saying is your charging system may be doing what it is supposed to.

Rusty----thanks for the thought -----the battery is maybe year and half old   pulled it from the car and took it to retailer    I explained the issue---he checked volts----6.3----and told me it was ok---last summer I took it to a few cruises    7-8 miles   I had to run the lights so it would not over  charge    I could put a trickle charger for a while but it is not insured right now so can't take it on a run---remember when we used to check the electrolite   with a hydromoter      guess I could do that if I can find it