1950panhead

Antique cars, this year and beyond, what will happen ?

I have a number of old cars.  I have paid somewhere in the middle on prices in the "old car" market.  Not an expensive $100,000.00 vehicle, but not $500.00 specials either. 

Some of the cars I have put in more money than what I actually paid for the vehicle because my wife and I drive them.  Standard formula is 1. Drive them, 2. Break it, 3. Fix it,  REPEAT.  That is what happens when the car is not just kept in a garage and only drive out of the garage to the driveway to wash and back in the garage.

As for the "value" of the vehicle and "what it is worth", the formula that I process mentally is how much did I pay for the vehicle + repairs, maintenance, etc.. MINUS the enjoyment that WE GET for driving the vehicle.  Since we tour our vehicles, I mentally price each day driving the vehicle equal to a day at Disney or any other amusement part, except there are no ticket counters, lines, or crowds.  I subtract maybe $100/day/person that is on the drive with us from the "price value" of the vehicle.  If I drive it a lot, the car does not owe me much because of the days & hours of enjoyment received.  That is my formula.

As for the end game after I am gone, it is up to the kids and their spouses to dispose of them if they like or keep them.  The kids have already put tags on some of the vehicles that they want and time will tell if they can afford more. 

For the younger generation, I am a firm believer that if you do not let them drive them they will not have any interest in your cars.  Too much is told to them "DON'T TOUCH"...Etc... so they develop other interests.  My son and son-in-law have both driven the '15 truck and the '13 Buick.  When I can get a couple of vehicles dependable at the same time, I expect my one daughter and husband to come touring with us because they are interested in the old cars.  I am getting close.  Maybe with the time now we will be able to make some big progress.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

As an investment you already missed the bus so put the pedal to the metal and enjoy them while you can. I have 3 antique cars and one I am rebuilding the drive line plus mechanics so I am going to loose my shirt on this one. As for leaving them for my kids they have no interest and when I am gone they will need to be re restored as I plan to drive them to the bitter end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling! " Disney 2005

Posted (edited)

Well what can I say Padget it sounds a lot like my life except you are a few years older and got into the real estate market about a decade earlier.  I pinch a lot of pennies, keep my expenses as low as possible.

Food is a substantial expense here. And definitely as the Canadian $ sinks inflation becomes apparent . You notice it at the grocery check out first but it spreads into other areas over time.

At least gas is cheaper but I am not using much these days.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

After all, ice cream tastes just as good in a Plymouth as in a Pierce-Arrow!

You've obviously never owned a Pierce Arrow.  🤣🤣

Hahahaha!

J/K

I know what you mean about driving a time machine and reliving the past.

But some things are better in a Pierce Arrow. 😁

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zepher said:

You've obviously never owned a Pierce Arrow.  🤣🤣

Hahahaha!

J/K

I know what you mean about driving a time machine and reliving the past.

But some things are better in a Pierce Arrow. 😁

I don’t think I would let my kids eat ice cream in a Pierce Arrow. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, gossp said:

I would.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gossp said:

Larry said "I would"

HF often has free small plastic tarps but would prefer Grey Poupon in a RR.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

I would.

I would let my kids eat ice cream in your Pierce-Arrow then!

More from the mouths of babes: my eldest child really has no interest in an antique car that you cannot eat ice cream in. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gossp said:

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, my dad would not let us eat ice cream in his beautiful Buick Electra 225s.  No way.  

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

Just now, Pomeroy41144 said:

My dad would not let us eat ice cream in his beautiful Buick Electra 225s.  No way.  

My dad didn’t let us eat ice cream in any of the old cars. He has much nicer old cars now and he lets my kids eat ice cream in them all the time. @gossjh

• Like 2

I have way more time wrenching on one of my old junkers than I do driving it. It's early in the relationship. We are still getting to know each other...My understanding is my old sedans can't catch covid. When I do go drive them I am in isolation. We have fun. The money I spend brings me happiness. Especially when I am rewarded by being able to drive the old cars. I am rewarded when people wave, or give me a thumbs-up. Or how about the folks that yell at you to get your attention so they can show their appreciation for the old car? When I drive and hit the aoogah horn, kids and adults alike lite-up with grins. At times like these, I really don't care what happens to the value of my cars. I am happy to get back under them, make them a little better, and go out cruising again. 

Must be the type cars that I choose to own, that make me feel this way. They aren't anything special. They aren't real valuable or collectable. Must be why I guess I don't ponder their future value. My cars sure bring the smiles from both my face and others, when I pass by. I try to be smart about the money I put into them.  We'll go for ice cream in the Plymouth! My future is seen below here. How utterly boring for some, I know. But I'm having fun!

IMG_5915.jpg

• Like 6

Reminds me that I took the SLK out today. Top up, windows up, AC on and glad I just changed the cabin air filter. Normally in this weather the top would have been down. World is changing.

I do not worry about the value of antique cars, as a matter of fact, I have been wanting to add a '20's - 30's roadster for the past few years though I found them too expensive.  I believe we are going to get a hefty round of inflation and that will cure current low values, not this year but next year.  Governments around the world are running the printing presses as fast as they will go and dropping money from helicopters.  Buy something, anything cash has no value.

Stay well, Gary

• Like 3

Larry, you stated that very well. Everyone owns the older vehicles for their own reasons. For me it is a combination of reasons ( excuses?) not in any special order: Driving or riding in one - you are indeed in a time warp and get a very different perspective about what you see , you also are in a piece of history that has survived scrap drives, all kinds of abuse, wear etc so have to admire how well it was built and still continues to function for what it was made for, the joy you get is shared by the people that view you driving past them - old cars are best viewed when in motion. If it weren't for our love of old cars most of us would never know each other! it is our common bond . After over 50 years in this "hobby" I am now meeting and making more friendships because of the forums - people I have never known before nor would have if it weren't for the contact that AACA has provided here. All those factors is what it is all about. If you have no car, or dozens , we are all benefiting from the common bond of our love and appreciation for older vehicles. They make us happy even if it is only to look at a period photograph, it puts us there in that picture . Stay well all .

Walt

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, padgett said:

1912: Please remember I came though the 80's when inflation in the US approached 20%. Retired in 2015 after paying into social security since 1966, exceeding the max in most years. Worked for elements of the same corporation in increasing higher positions for over 35 years. And contributed the max to my 401 k for all of that time. My "fixed income" is different from some, the IRS forces me to take money from my 401k but Medicare limits how much. I carry a certain amount of debt only as a hedge. Strange times.

Keep in mind that my only dependents are my cats and I keep a month's worth of Fancy Feast on hand. They probably eat better than I do. My personal expenditure are quite low.

That said it seems unlikely that inflation will be significant for the near future. For right now I can afford my hobby since expenses are quire low (part of living in the same house since 1984 and have all needed space at home) and pay cash for any additions. May buy one more car (have an open slot) but am very selective.

That said have worked for everything I have over a very long period of time. Other than free hearing aids nothing is tax free.

I suspect at least some here are in the same position. Is really a matter of priorities.

Posted (edited)

Padgett, We have a lot in common. I live in Florida(Brevard county),lived in the same house since 84,retired in 2016,have one cat on fancy feast although she's pretty old and probably won't be around much longer. However I do have two kids(grown and on their own) a wife and a dog. My son has the old car bug but my wife and daughter not so much.He has a 66 Mustang,a 69 Ghia and bought his wife a 63 bug.I have a 35 Buick and a 74 MGB. Just trying to keep them maintained.Wouldn't mind trading the MG for a different old car. As you know it gets too hot to drive it in the summer. Greg. Stay healthy and what old cars do you have?

Edited by Buick35
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gossp said:

My dad didn’t let us eat ice cream in any of the old cars. He has much nicer old cars now and he lets my kids eat ice cream in them all the time. @gossjh

I taught you to respect old cars, and you learned the joy of eating on a running board. I taught them that Grampa could be as much of a pushover as Gramma.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On upper series cars(more expensive), at least for Buick you could order the option of having vinyl seats in the back while having cloth or leather in the front. 

Zephyr, I have must confess a Pierce is the one car I've wanted to own since I was teenager. I haven't totally given up yet but the candle is dimming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Buick35 said:

Padgett, We have a lot in common. I live in Florida(Brevard county),lived in the same house since 84,retired in 2016,have one cat on fancy feast although she's pretty old and probably won't be around much longer. However I do have two kids(grown and on their own) a wife and a dog. My son has the old car bug but my wife and daughter not so much.He has a 66 Mustang,a 69 Ghia and bought his wife a 63 bug.I have a 35 Buick and a 74 MGB. Just trying to keep them maintained.Wouldn't mind trading the MG for a different old car. As you know it gets too hot to drive it in the summer. Greg. Stay healthy and what old cars do you have?

Mostly a bunch of projects. A series of bad decisions. They were to be sold to help out with the trio of keepers but that is looking increasingly unrealistic.

The keepers are , 1912 Staver Chicago. Total basket case , I hoped to see it running in my life time but these days who knows ?

1960 MGA 1600. I have owned it since the late 1970's . Eight month a year driver for nearly 20 years { hides from salt the other 4 }. Runs and drives but it needs work to be back on the road. The last 60 years are catching up with it, never restored just kept driving.

1977 Lola T492. I like Sports Cars and Vintage Racing. Bought it last year for a very attractive price { as these things go }. My last attempt at getting back into racing before I am too old. But a bigger strain on the budget than I can handle without some added 

$ from a sell off. Which looks increasingly over optimistic these days. A simple to maintain race car that is fast enough to be interesting on a limited budget. 

I wanted one all my life and took a chance last year when one came up at a once in a lifetime price. Still it drained my hobby $ reserve for the foreseeable future.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 hour ago, JAK said:

Zephyr, I have must confess a Pierce is the one car I've wanted to own since I was teenager. I haven't totally given up yet but the candle is dimming.

Pierce Arrows really are the bargain marque if you're looking to get into the 'true classic' arena.

For some reason they are priced much , much lower than the other big classics.

Heck, I've seen completely restored Ford Model As sell for as much as a decent Pierce Arrow.

But that isn't to say that Pierce Arrows aren't an amazingly engineered and manufactured car.

They truly are one of America's finest, if not the finest.

Join the Pierce Arrow Society and attend a PAS gathering.

The members would be more than happy to take you for a ride in their cars and even keep you apprised of any great cars that come up for sale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1