Nolan Walker

How to Disinfect your Car From The Coronavirus?

Hi There,

I am from New jersey and I would like to know your opinions about an  how to disinfect car from the corona-virus( COVID-19).

Benefits of AACA Membership.

It appears the virus doesn't linger on any surface more than a couple of weeks.  If you leave your car in the garage for a couple of weeks, it should disinfect itself.  But then you don't want to let anyone who might be infected touch it or sneeze on it, or you'll have to park it in the garage for another two weeks.

• Like 1

Are you contemplating starting up a business doing that?  Do you have a car you are particularly concerned about?

• Like 1

We're still working, so a lot of my team will take one last Clorox wipe or Purell laden paper towel and hit the "touch points" on their cars as they enter them & before leaving the site.

Their last wipe is on the bottom of their shoes before they swing their feet in.

• Like 1

Overheard in line at the grocery store this morning while waiting (6 feet apart) for them to open up for their special senior shopping experience - "I'm concerned that with all this disinfecting, etc.etc. our natural immunities are going to regress and we'll be susceptible to a lot more."

Terry

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Overheard in line at the grocery store this morning while waiting (6 feet apart) for them to open up for their special senior shopping experience - "I'm concerned that with all this disinfecting, etc.etc. our natural immunities are going to regress and we'll be susceptible to a lot more."

Terry

i have read in the past that the prevalence of antibacterial soaps and washes(which are not bad bacteria specific) is causing a loss of many good bacteria as well as bad and like Terry said possibly lowering our ability to fight bad ones.

• Like 4

I have used antibacterial soaps for years (actually my life is not that much different though miss Trivia at a local sports bar (online trivia doesn't work particularly if you have multiple devices)). Periodically I need to re-enforce the bacteria in my septic tank.

Door poppers may become popular (remote is easy to disinfect).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nolan Walker said:

how to disinfect car from the corona-virus( COVID-19).

At night I feed my 2 dogs a dinner of fried cabbage and hard boiled eggs. The next day I lock them in the car for about an hour. Nothing lives through that...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

At night I feed my 2 dogs a dinner of fried cabbage and hard boiled eggs. The next day I lock them in the car for about an hour. Nothing lives through that...........Bob

Of course you yourself won't be able to drive it for a weeks either so one or the other should kill it off. 

• Like 1

Suspect you could put Clorox in the detergent reservoir of a pressure washer.

• Like 1

To those who say this is just a flu, you are wrong.  This is much more contagious than a regular flu and much more deadly!  Protect yourselves by wearing masks and glove when you go anywhere.  Protect yourselves and protect other people, like me, who don't want your germs coming out of your mouth.  You could have it and not know you have it  - - that is also different than a regular flu.  When someone has the "flu" they know they have it. With this virus, you could be walking around with it and spreading it to other people and not know it  - - and vice versa they could be doing the same and giving it to you.  That's why everyone needs to not get close to anyone and wear a mask or at least a bandana over your mouth and nose.  Its easy to make a bandana to cover your face if you don't have a mask.   

• Like 1

I wear a long sleeved shirt, long pants, a hat, gloves, safety glasses,  and a mask. Fortunately my lungs are strong enough to brathe through a good mask but the glasses fog up quickly. I change after getting home.

What happened to the full body condom ?

• Like 1

Very good, glad to hear it. As for the full body condom, too bad they don't make one, I'd probably wear that too. I don't want to go out like the other hundreds of thousands on a ventilator. I am a 57 yr. old diabetic with other lung conditions so like I said, if there was a full body condom, I'd get one, LOL.

8 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

There’s actually some scientific basis to that. There have been many articles about the dangers of overuse of hand sanitizers and antibacterial soaps. 
here is one pre-Covid article: (if you look you will find many more)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/this-is-why-you-should-never-use-hand-sanitizer/ar-AABQgo2

• Like 1

As mentioned I've been using anti-bacterial hand soap for years. Just have to occasionally replenish the bacteria in the septic tank. Concentrations of alcohol are internal.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 1:50 PM, Bhigdog said:

We have an 18 month old lab.  We don't need no cabbage or eggs. Just normal gas will kill small animals, and sicken bigger ones.

• Like 1

I've had Labs for years. As a rule they LOVE to eat and some were gas bags. But you won't find a better dog.............Bob

• Like 1

This is a strain of the Flu.

Did you ever stop and think about disinfecting your car from the Flu before ?

Jim

• Like 1

Covid19 is not "just the flu".  It is far more dangerous because, as Susan says above, you may not know you have it until it is too late.  There is mounting evidence that it attacks the heart.  Twenty percent of the Chinese people affected now have heart issues and many also have liver and kidney damage.  

• Like 2

Old fashioned soap and water is still the best defense for both you and your car.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trulyvintage said:

This is a strain of the Flu.

Did you ever stop and think about disinfecting your car from the Flu before ?

Jim

Tell my 76 yr old brother in San Diego that it’s just a version of the flu. If he stands up he’s dizzy and hard to breathe. Can’t get a test or get a doc to even talk to him. Beginning to have a fever when I talked with him this morning. The hospital is full and only taking new emergency patients. 
People that don’t believe the scientists and docs that this is serious should go help out in a hospital if you are so sure it’s not serious. Put your convictions where they will do some good. 

I’m heading to the garage to wash the cars from all the dust they have collected. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

Tell my 76 yr old brother in San Diego that it’s just a version of the flu. If he stands up he’s dizzy and hard to breathe. Can’t get a test or get a doc to even talk to him. Beginning to have a fever when I talked with him this morning. The hospital is full and only taking new emergency patients. 
People that don’t believe the scientists and docs that this is serious should go help out in a hospital if you are so sure it’s not serious. Put your convictions where they will do some good. 

I’m heading to the garage to wash the cars from all the dust they have collected. 
dave s 

Hear, hear sir.  Our provincial (British Columbia) minister of health cancelled all elective surgeries so we have close to 5000 empty beds here.  Our provincial chief medical officer has been updating us almost every day now for about seven weeks.  Heavy emphasis on social/physical distancing.  It appears to be working as new cases are going down and recovered number is going up.

Terry

• Like 1

Anybody that thinks  it’s just the  flu should have to go work in a hospital for a day ! 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:09 PM, oldcarfudd said:

It appears the virus doesn't linger on any surface more than a couple of weeks.  If you leave your car in the garage for a couple of weeks, it should disinfect itself.  But then you don't want to let anyone who might be infected touch it or sneeze on it, or you'll have to park it in the garage for another two weeks.

Hey buddy, I have heard about it, that it does not stick to a place, but I read a couple of blogs on disinfecting the car, so just checking on it. There are new updates and developments everyday, so just asking for opinions. Thanks for sharing yours.