What is your "guilty pleasure" car?

Jaybokay

For only a little more than a decent 356 replica {intermeccanica etc} you can have something like a Beck 550. Then the engine is in the right place and the car is far more useably functional.  I like mid engine cars very much, I don't like rear engine cars at all.  If your are going to drive a sports car 

in a non - sporting manner I guess it doesn't matter. If you are going to drive it like a sportscar ; and you are a less than extremely good driver { 99 .5 % of us } , the mid engine layout comes out on top any day.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Right then, I'm sure that all of you here enjoy the unusual, so I'd thought I'd pose this question. What is the one car that you absolutely love and would love to own, but most of the world disagrees? I'm talking about the misfits, the ones that for whatever odd reason have very bad reputations. Go on then, spill the beans. This'll be fun!

====================================================================================================

I keep trying to come up with an answer, maybe I just don't want a crappy automobile or truck. Bob

8 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yeah but I just prefer the styling of the speedster Greg.  I know about the Beck cars but they just don't trip my trigger as much. 

01111_2DJdClQFzim_600x450.jpg

They both look very similar to my eye, just that one actually functions / drives extremely well, one just sort of OK. Same basic building blocks but very different results.

OIPa.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

At one time Bob, I would have said a Jenson but I am not a masochist

300px-Jensen-Healey-rear.jpg

Looks wise they are rather bland. But a joy to drive , particular the later 5 speeds. A very under rated car these days. The 907 engine is a landmark design. My car quota is full and then some but I could definitely make room for Jensen Healey .

Greg in Canada

Greg, I saw one under its own power in my neighborhood a few years ago, odd for sure.  I am in a semirural area and know most car folk.  Never saw it again.  I like a lot of Brit cars but only owned one, a TR - 6 that was actually a very good car with few of the usual gremlins.

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Right then, I'm sure that all of you here enjoy the unusual, so I'd thought I'd pose this question. What is the one car that you absolutely love and would love to own, but most of the world disagrees? I'm talking about the misfits, the ones that for whatever odd reason have very bad reputations. Go on then, spill the beans. This'll be fun!

====================================================================================================

I keep trying to come up with an answer, maybe I just don't want a crappy automobile or truck. Bob

For many years I could have nominated my Renault powered Lotus Europa. An acquired taste visually with every mechanical shortcoming and fragility in the known automotive world. When running they are a joy to drive, the big qualifier being"  when running ".  Many aftermarket improvements available these days , Toyota 4AGE  and Ford Zetec engine kits , Spyder and Banks much improved chassis / suspension upgrades.  And some people even have the

patience and persistence to get satisfactory results out of the stock mechanicals, or the still Renault " Gordini " crossflow engine.  { same short block as stock but a superior head , intake , exhaust layout}.  Just not the performance / handling of the upgraded cars. But still quite perky given the flyweight build of the car.

But these days prices and popularity are steadily moving upward.  Really nice ones can go for substantial sums.

Greg in Canada 

On 4/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, zepher said:

Most of the head issues I saw in other Datsun 1600s were related to poor cooling system maintenance.

Those engines did not like to be run hot.

That is another reason a 5 speed would have been nice.

Running along on the freeway over 65mph for any length of time would cause the temp to creep up and if you weren't paying attention you could run the engine hot for extended periods and that was not good for those heads.

Along with the little truck I had, there were at least 2 other Datsun 1600s in the extended family (510s) with the same engine and they were dead on reliable as long as you maintained them and didn't abuse them.

Those retained the points setup and they never had any issues with the second set.

Luckily for those of us growing up in Southern Calif, rust was not an issue, so there were plenty to choose from in the used car market.

Actually the L-1600 was a very good engine and was used in the 510 and the 521 PU. The late version of the preceding model was the 520 PU, the engine was the L1300 and the L1500.

Then in 1972 came one of the best looking Datsun PU, the PL620 and the L16 was used in 1972-73 ( I had two 73's) in 1974 came the L18 and from 1975-79 the L20.

Of course the L13, L-15, L-16, L-18 and L-20 were all derivatives of the L-24 which was the 6 cylinder for the Z car and in Japan for some bigger sedans. The only problem with these engines was a early on production with the 1974 L-18 which was in the PL620 pick up and the Datsun 710. The problem was in the cylinder head casting- a stress crack occurred from the oil gallery pressurizing the cam towers into the water jacket.

Now as far as the dual point distributor. The dual point had a advanced set of points and a retard set of points. They were seven degrees apart in phase and controlled by throttle position switch-this was a emission control devise. Nissan also used the L-20 in the 610, the first gen. 200SX and the revised or retro 510 which took the place of the 710.

The best looking Datsun Pick-up, the 1972-1979 PL620;

L20B-Swapped 1974 Datsun 620 Pickup 5-Speed

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Guilty Pleasure car;

Thundering Bastard – The Day A Super Duty Pontiac Tempest Destroyed The World’s Best Sports Cars

Region Racer” and Hall of Famer Paul Goldsmith – A Man for all ...1963 Pontiac Tempest Coupe 421 Super Duty | Pontiac | SuperCars.net 

A 421 Super Duty with a 4 speed Autostick- (called The Power shift) transaxle

1963 unlimited make or model Daytona 250 mile race. The second place finisher a 63 fuel injected Corvette driven by A.J. Foyt was FIVE miles behind! Seen here passing a Ferrari.

BY the way, Pontiac called the HP at 410, but those Tempest ran the quarter mile in 11 seconds at close to 130 MPH. Underrated ya think?

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:37 AM, alsancle said:

I have a lot of cars I like that I have to keep from my elitist friends like Ed.    For example,  I was bidding on one of these the other day.

Used 1981 Toyota Pickup Deluxe in Caldwell, Idaho

Brain damage? Or are you suffering from schizophrenia & bipolar antisocial disorder?

• Haha 1

This is what I drove my senior year of high school which was 1983.................in about the same condition of the cars shown.........

52.CJ-3A_Brad_Cooper_1.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

11 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

For many years I could have nominated my Renault powered Lotus Europa. An acquired taste visually 

Greg in Canada 

I once worked for a British car dealer and drove a Europa that was on the used car lot. I felt really vulnerable when  a big rig pulled up along side of me at a stop light.All I could see were his wheel lug nuts. Driving in a near-fully reclined position didn't seem right either !

• Haha 1

a) Friend had an Elan he drove under a Cadillac, is why I do not have a Fiero, SUVs could not see me and thought the lane was vacant. (air horns are good).

b) Had a '68 Fiat 124 Spyder that was a great car, just need to replace electrics with Delco and make sure to clean out the oil slinger on the front of the crank else oil pressure will go bye-bye.

b2) Today I have an early Merc SLK230. DOHC-4, five speed manual trans, and the roof falls off. Modern 124 Spyder & very low prices for a nice one.

c) Fiat 850 Spyder should have a "slow moving vehicle" on the back. Had an 850R coupe for a while and was ok up to 45 but over 60 would buzz you to death (and this was in Texas)

d) "fully reclined position" thanks to tax laws many English sporty cars had bitty engines. Lotus Elite had a 1200 cc AFAIR. So they were deigned for minimum frontal area. This meant fully reclined (minimun height) and arms straight out (no side room for elbows a la Barney Oldfield style). The reclining, arms out position was not by choice but but necessity (did mean English drivers were short but  had incredible upper body strength, don't ever get into a fight with one).

• Haha 1

@Pfeil the PL620 is a great looking truck but they just look too 'modern' for me to really go nuts over.  Not sure it makes sense but some things just don't make sense when it comes to taste in cars.

I've driven the PL620 plenty, as they were a staple small truck with friends and family back then but the nostalgia and styling of the PL521 gets me every time.

• Like 1

Unloved guilty pleasure cars:  VW kit cars don't get the respect they deserve from the collector community, IMO. They should be viewed as a genre unto themselves more than fake versions of other cars (though they are kind of that, too.)

Three VW-based kit cars for sale now on… | ReinCarNation Magazine

1967 Volkswagen Vokaro Kit Car for sale on BaT Auctions - closed ...

Bradley Gt Kit Car Classic Vw Beetle Buggy Pan Great Looking: Vans ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H.Boland said:

I once worked for a British car dealer and drove a Europa that was on the used car lot. I felt really vulnerable when  a big rig pulled up along side of me at a stop light.All I could see were his wheel lug nuts. Driving in a near-fully reclined position didn't seem right either !

You only felt vulnerable when next to a big rig ? I guess you had never seen a Europa after a collision, or at least the chunks of fiberglass that remain after a collision. Not much worse than a Sprite , Midget, Fiat 850 or similar but at least those ones kind of stay in one piece.

After a while the driving position feel very natural, just be very aware of using your mirrors.  The driving position is very close to most "real " racing cars, as opposed to modified production cars. But like the styling it takes some getting used to.

The factory race version , Lotus 47, is a serious money car these days. And well deserved,  just wish one was even remotely within my reach.

Greg

OIP42TIEQJF.jpg

OIPF8EVGWGU.jpg

OIPG3SNBZV7.jpg

39 minutes ago, zepher said:

@Pfeil the PL620 is a great looking truck but they just look too 'modern' for me to really go nuts over.  Not sure it makes sense but some things just don't make sense when it comes to taste in cars.

I've driven the PL620 plenty, as they were a staple small truck with friends and family back then but the nostalgia and styling of the PL521 gets me every time.

To each his own I suppose, the big problem for me was the PL620 was the first Datsun truck I could actually fit in and barely fit at that. The 520-521 cab is really small.

On 4/21/2020 at 5:52 PM, Fossil said:

I had that same engine in the 510 and can't recall having a points problem. But I don't remember there being a second set of points either.

The one that would be fun to find would be a 810 station wagon. They came with a detuned 240Z engine and would make a great sleeper. 

Bought a new 77 Little Hustler after moving to SD. That was one tough little PU. Rust got most of them. 

240Z Cousin: 1978 Datsun 810 Wagon

The early 510's up to about 1970 only used a single set of points, just like the trucks, but from 1971-73 dual points were added for emissions, 1974 Got EGR and in 1975 electronic ignition and catalytic converters.

Another fun and better looking car in the European tradition of looks would be the Datsun/Nissan 910/Maxima. A L24 SOHC six in gasoline and diesel form.

510, Lada, 125 - similarly-shaped but reliable car? :) - MX-5 ...

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 10:29 PM, padgett said:

Interesting high rise. Looks almost like a late Rochester injection plenium.

1957 Pontiac factory fulie manifold and hardware;

1957 Pontiac Fuel Injection Set-up Incomplete SOLD - Parts For ...

1958 factory Pontiac Fulie manifold;

BangShift.com 1958 Pontiac Fuel Injection

63 factory Pontiac high rise 2X4----I fail to see the similarity 

Hot Rods - THE INDUCTION THREAD | Page 25 | The H.A.M.B.

Tri Five Chevies still have a strong following but body style os everythong.  When I was a kid I used to walk by a yellow and green 4 door Bel -aire wagon, not a Nomad, etc. Stone stock, I thought that would have been cool just as it sits.  Never did pursue it but I like those big wagons for some reason.  A Tri Five I almost bought was a '57 6 cyl. Pg 4 door sedan, seafoam green, solid but really faded.  I thought it would be cool to use a basic transportation.  It sold to someone with restoration intent, another neighborhood car, interestingly it was 2 houses away from the wagon around 1978.  By then fifties cars of any kind were unusual in our area.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)