What are you paying for gas in your area?

$1.99 for 87 Danville VA. 30 miles east, same brands are $2.09.

Gas tax went up in VA July 1. Here on the border, NC gas was always 20c/gal higher. Since the gas tax increase, some NC gas is now a few cents cheaper.

The guvnah got his gas tax. Better see some serious road improvement going on!

went to get gas for the first time since early march in my not so daily driver. i guess i was a little out of practice, accidenly filled up with high test instead of usual cheapest i could find. it was $2.69 a gallon. not a total waste though, i gotta take it thru delaware emmisions soon. that plus the new air filter should work just fine

A better question might be: “What are you paying for ethanol-free has in your area. Those of us who live near metropolitan areas in the east have to venture into more remote areas to find the pure gas. From my home in suburban Maryland, I have 3 choices. The closest place is about 10 miles away near Littlestown, PA. They have 87-89-91 octane for $3.45, $3.65, $3.75/gal. Choice 2 is in Hanover, PA, about 15 miles away. It’s 89 octane at $3.19. The third is in York Springs, PA- on my way home from Carlisle car shows. They have 89 octane for $2.89. On a recent trip to Ocean City, MD (yes, we were socially distant on the beach), a few stations advertise 89 octane for $2.89. 
So with a little effort we keep the corn liquor out of our antiques. They appreciate the effort. Corn is for hungry people and cows.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

went to get gas for the first time since early march in my not so daily driver. i guess i was a little out of practice, accidenly filled up with high test instead of usual cheapest i could find. it was $2.69 a gallon. not a total waste though, i gotta take it thru delaware emmisions soon. that plus the new air filter should work just fine

Generally speaking, and often loudly shouted, is that once the optimum required octane is reached, there is no advantage to higher test/octane gasoline.

However, there is one thing that many do not consider. Higher octane gasolines "seem" to last longer in gasoline tanks than the regular does. I have for several years used low octane gasoline in anything (including my antiques) that gets driven enough to use it up within a month or so. Lower octane gasoline that I did leave in vehicles, I have had spoil sometimes in less than two months. Higher octane gasoline has rarely spoiled, even after more than a year.

So your "not so daily driver" may benefit from the better stuff anyway.

By the way, in the Sierra foothills of Califunny, my daily "wheels is wheels" I got gas for $2.80 a couple days ago.

Enjoyed filling up today...

This was, of course, thanks to a fuel bonus that we get for buying groceries at the store that also sells gas. We save the perks for filling the Suburban, so I filled up with 30 gallons at that rate, which should last us about a month or 6 weeks in the Suburban with the minimal use we give it. It's like driving for free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

since my split from the wife my food costs have dramatically decreased hugely.  I might average $10 a day.  and that’s including adult beverages.  so I can’t really build up fuel credits at the store in kingman because I spend about half my time at my grandmothers cabin in Southern California mountains. (and no such credits.)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Salida, Colorado Loaf and Jug today reg @ $2.54 and diesel @ $2.54. I could not believe diesel's come down.

With each 100 points from City market, we get a dime off gas though, and i buy the grocery's.

Usually get 20-30 cents off per gallon up to a 30 gallon limit.

Mike in Colorado

I can speak for diesel, this morning on Long Island I paid $2.89 a gallon, in Charlottesville VA at my sons house I saw it was $2.15 this afternoon. 

Have to remember that "Go west young man" is a natural result of Newton's First Law - Objects in motion stay in motion unless acted on by an unbalanced force. Since people mostly started out on the east coast, they moved west and kept going until stopped, e.g. by the Pacific ocean and have been piling up there for quite a while. Also many were dissatisfied where they were so carried that dissatisfaction with them. Finally am not surprised that people who would choose to live in a place the Indians called the "Valley of Smoke" might be a bit odd.

Spent a lot of time in Cali while working and has its pros and cons (the only perfect climate I've seen in the US is Santa Monica) but on the whole I prefer Florida (warm resort, no Income Tax.)

Padgatt,

I have to wonder what prompted you to jump from gas prices to panning California? California is huge-it's 1040 miles long, with elevation ranging from 14,500' to 282' below sea level. To characterize California because you are familiar with the LA Basin is shortsighted, to say the least. There is simply no way to characterize the whole West-it is simply too diverse. If this is your total perspective of California, and more broadly the West, my advice is you need to get out more.

I always get a chuckle when an easterner says proudly that he had been out west. It is often akin to the overseas traveler coming to the US, spending a week split between NY and DC, and going home thinking he has seen the US. 

Those of us who's ancestors traveled west during the 19th Century, settled not just in California, but everything west of the Rockies. As for the new arrivals, hopefully they came looking for a different way of life, because if they didn't they would never be satisfied. Yes there are regional changes that take place, but the changes take place in spite of the disaffected new arrivals, and not because of them. 

Bill 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today in Metairie (New Orleans), Louisiana:

$1.59 - 87 Octane at Sam's Club

$1.99 - 87 Octane NON-ETHANOL - Star - (Kenner, LA)

$2.07 - Diesel - Star - (Kenner, LA)