What are you paying for gas in your area?

Thanks, Mike, for posting the screen-shot.

It turns out that oil prices are falling so fast that the

information I posted an hour ago is uncurrent:

West Texas Intermediate crude is now trading

below $8 a barrel.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Let's see whether this new low gets transferred to

gasoline at the pump.

Seems to  me I was paying 79 cents/gal last time crude was low, maybe 20 years ago. Rule of gasoline vs. crude price is that pump prices are very quick to follow crude rise, very slow to react to falling crude. In general, for E-10, we are still at high $2s to low $3s in Western Washington, some areas East of the mountains are a little under $2 for regular E-10 unleaded. Moonshine-free gasoline is available in Seattle, though always rather pricey. Other side of the mountains, 'shine-free is more reasonable, and I usually buy it for the seldom driven cars. If it becomes cheap enough there, I will run my 200 gallon tank into town and do my own fueling at will out at the "ranch".    -    Carl 

15 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I just hope that producers will not shut down production too quickly, depleting the surplus, and creating a shortage at the other end.

Too quickly? I'll bet they are shut down now. Bloomberg is reporting that some U S producers are paying to move what they have. That means $0.00 to get rid of it. Who would ever think that crude oil would be free?

Where is Dave Moon?

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Who would ever think that crude oil would be free?

It's now better than free!  Prices have been moving so

quickly now that the websites for price tracking are inundated.

One headline said that WTI crude is now NEGATIVE $38 PER BARREL.

That means, essentially, that if you had a 1000-gallon tank

in your back yard, there is such a glut of oil that someone would

pay you  just to take the oil off his hands.  [Edited due to math error]

Imagine if antique cars were like that:  "I've been trying to

sell my restored 1932 Packard, but there haven't been any takers.

My wife doesn't want it around any more.  I'll pay you $38,000

if you'll take ownership!"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John your math is skewed. You are quoting minus $38.00 a barrel and selling your gas by the gallon. You would have roughly 20 barrels giving you about $760.00

But still these are crazy times. 

Another thing that is Texas crude that is selling that low. Foreign oil is still around $10.00 a brrel.

Cheapest gas in my area is $2.64.9 Cash Price for Regular. You can pay over $3 for regular if you want to. And some of the prices on the signs are deceptive, they require you to buy a car wash to get the price, but you need to make an effort to read the fine print to figure that out.

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

John your math is skewed.

You're right, Dave--sorry!

The price moved so fast that I couldn't

keep up with it, nor conceive of negative energy prices!

Getting paid to own a Packard might still be a nice idea, though.

3 hours ago, James31 said:

Hello everyone here in France the liter is 1.50€ .

James 

Well, that's only about $6.11 per gallon  😲

I'm currently restoring a car for a client in Paris and when all done, its fuel consumption over there should be around +/-25 liters per 100 km.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Getting paid to own a Packard might still be a nice idea, though.

I make you a deal: you dont have to pay me to get that Packard off your hands, I'll take it for free. (Just would be nice if you'll be taking care of freight to Texas) :-D

regular, E10, in my area of Ohio is back up to about $1.20 / gal today. Early last week I filled up at .98. Then it dropped to .89 a couple days later. I still had half a tank left but I filled up anyway. I never saw it since they put in digital pumps but the hundredths of gallon digits were going up faster than pennies. I like to run the pump up to even dollars and I actually had to squeeze the trigger several times to move that last penny.

At .89 I only paid .33 for the gasplus 170% tax rate

Edited by jdome
additional information (see edit history)
6 hours ago, TTR said:

Eh bien, c'est seulement environ 6,11 $ par gallon   😲

Je suis en train de restaurer une voiture pour un client à Paris et quand tout est fait, sa consommation de carburant là-bas devrait être d'environ +/- 25 litres aux 100 km.

Hello TTR yes here in France we have a lot of fuel taxes. So imagine when you have to put 80 liters to go out with friends .... my 1948 Oldsmobile with the 8-cylinder in-line consumes 20 liters per 100 km.TTR what are you restoring?
Edited by James31
je me suis trompé (see edit history)
On 4/20/2020 at 12:03 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Imagine if antique cars were like that:  "I've been trying to

sell my restored 1932 Packard, but there haven't been any takers.

My wife doesn't want it around any more.  I'll pay you $38,000

if you'll take ownership!"

Well, one can dream, although if it's less than 12 cyl., it be worth to ask more. 😁 

12 hours ago, James31 said:

Hello TTR yes here in France we have a lot of fuel taxes. So imagine when you have to put 80 liters to go out with friends .... my 1948 Oldsmobile with the 8-cylinder in-line consumes 20 liters per 100 km.TTR what are you restoring?

Sorry James31, 

out of respect for the privacy of my client (and the car), I'm not at liberty to be more specific, but it is quite large and heavy with a thirsty V8.

And like your Oldsmobile, probably stands out cruising Avenue des Champs-Elysees, even if during Friday afternoon rush hour. 😁

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

What's happening to oil prices might make gasoline users giddy with joy, but it's the worst scenario for future gas prices in the US.

This fall in prices will cause a LOT of producers to go out of business in the US, and then we'll be at the mercy of OPEC and Russia.

Our reserves will disappear, and I predict in five years we'll be paying $8-10 a gallon for gas, write it on your calendar.

Very few short term advantages ever turn out well in the end....

• Like 2
3 hours ago, trimacar said:

I predict in five years we'll be paying $8-10 a gallon for gas, write it on your calendar.

I'd say your odds of being right are about 50-50. Our industrial sector is pretty resourceful and has a history of rebounding. 

Well, if I say I got bunch of gasoline for free today  🙂...

... and will likely get more tomorrow, but running out of (safe) storage capabilities... 😞

... other than bragging rights, what do I win ? 🤔

I paid the same $2.69 today. No discount. It is the cheapest station around, and $2.69 is the regular with the cash discount. Regular with a debit or credit card is $2.79

I noticed today that after reading about a barrel of gas being $0 each from the well head that gas prices around me in Il. went to in some places almost $2.00 per.  Guess they want to get the most form what they can sell.

I need to look at some of the gas stations to see what the going rate is.  It's been so long since I've gassed up I honestly don't remember what I paid last time.

Terry

I've heard that it's about $2.50 in Seattle. Ninety miles north it's supposed to be $1.90. It's been about three weeks since I last filled something, so have to go with what others say. I would be temped to fill the tanks on some of my collector cars except for the fact is that my crystal ball isn't giving me a good view of the future, and gas prices around here, are not low enough to risk the chance that in two years i'll just have to siphon it out.

13 hours ago, trimacar said:

Our reserves will disappear, and I predict in five years we'll be paying $8-10 a gallon for gas, write it on your calendar.

In the fall of 2003 I was sure that we would consistently see gas at or above $5/gal so within 5 years. So I bought a hybrid that over its 200K mile life got me just under 45 MPG. I would still be driving it if it hadn’t been totaled in an accident.

Two things from that: I am not good at predicting the future. And, since gas was no longer a big ticket item for me, I stopped noticing the price.

Being house bound this last month or more with only short trips for essentials my current plug-in hybrid has used no gas at all. I would have to fire up my laptop to check my records for sure, but I think the last time I bought gas was in January and it still is reading full on the gauge. Result: I haven’t a clue what the local stations are pricing gas at.

All I know about the future is that it will be different from anything I can imagine. That said telecommuting may remain a fact of life for many even after & electrics/hybrids will skew things even further.

Been two months since I have bought gas and most are still on full.

At one extreme malls will become a thing of the past and mail order will go through the roof. Know it will be a different time when I put a fridge on the front porch.

Of course have been through a Rapture, Maya Calendar rollover, and a millenium. Expect the end result may be similar.

I agree it will be interesting to see how travel and gasoline use change in the near future.

But mostly, I’m interested to see how gas prices in northern PA change.  It’s still around $1.75 here in the land COVID mostly forgot.  Considering my old girl has a near-empty 70-gallon tank, I’m holding out to see if it’ll go any lower!