What are you paying for gas in your area?

a) all of my cars are pleasure cars

b) I believe in striking a happy medium except it is considered assault in some jurisdictions.

c) laughter is good.

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

As usual here on the West coast prices are higher. It's been around $1.00 / Litre all last week. Around 89 cents if you look for the best deal today.  

Greg in Canada

Costco in Langley, British Columbia is 86 cents/litre.   Costco in Abbotsford, 20 minutes east of Langley 74 cents/litre.

No longer a Costco member. Superstore prices seemed to be almost as attractive as  Costco without the membership fee. 

To be truthful I have bought much of my gas in Washington State over the last several years. I am less than 1/2 the distance to Abbotsford than to the border crossing. And pre covid I would reasonably often be picking up parts in the U.S. anyway, the gas was just a bonus.

With the border closure I may have to rethink the cost vs benefit of Costco although  a near hour round trip for cheap gas makes little sense . My Accent has a small tank so even 10 or 12 cents / liter isn't a great saving.

Greg

3 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Last time I. Entitled out, here I Oregon, gas was about 2.69 in my smallishish town. Too many gas taxes in our state. Always at least $1/gal more than Texas. 

I am in Michigan

Gas is cheaper in Georgia but not worth a three hour drive to get it. Do fill my tank before going south since in south Florida is usually 20c/gallon higher than O'town. Helps that my Grand Cherokee has a 600 mile range without auxiliary.

I keep a Sam's Plus membership mainly for tires and batteries. Bulk stuff and gas prices are just a plus. Guess Sam's club and Amazon Prime are luxuries but less than a nice restaurant.

13 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Today I observed that as I mentioned earlier Gas in NE Il. is about $1.75 per gallon. In SE Wi. about 5 miles away it runs from $1.25 to $,99 per gallon. Even high Il. taxes are not that much difference. Wonder who is making out on this?

It's not gas station owners.

I asked the owner of my favorite gas station (one of two in town) what happens when there's 10,000 gallons of $2.50 gas underground and the price drops.

(Mind you the taxes on that underground gas are paid before the transport company shows up.)

His reply was "we lose money on it".

I asked how can you afford that? Isn't there some kind of protection for you from the company with whom you are affiliated? NOPE.

He said over time things even out.

At the rate gas prices fell I think it's going to be a long time before anything evens out....... :unsure:

When you get right down to it owners of "independent" gas station/convenience stores have very little say in their own business.

About all they do is own the building and try to hire decent employees which, now days, is getting more difficult by the day....... :( 

By the way gas dropped again to $1.349.

Thanks for pointing out the article, Jake. 

I looked it up on the internet to read it fully.

That 12-cent price, as you may know, is the

wholesale or "rack" price.  Here are some quotations

from the article in a more readable format:

"The Midwestern city [Fargo, North Dakota] is so awash in gasoline, the fuel last week sold for a record 12 cents a gallon at the rack -- its last stop before the pump. In better times, the price dip would be a boon for gas station owners looking to snag low-cost supplies. But with fewer customers every day, gas pumps are becoming little more than makeshift storage for ballooning inventories.

“Our gasoline business has been cut in half,” said David Olson, general manager at family-owned RJ’s Gas Station near Fargo. Across town, Shaun Lugert estimates that sales at the station he owns have tumbled 80% in a month.... 

American gasoline consumption fell to the lowest level on record last week as lockdowns take drivers off the road while gasoline stockpiles rose to a record high. That’s caused rack prices across the U.S to collapse. Milwaukee this week beat out Fargo for the lowest price in the nation....

The price decline is especially pronounced for cities at the end of pipeline systems, such as Fargo and Milwaukee....

Under normal circumstances the gas stations are not hurting (ever seen a gas station in bankruptcy? ) but in today's circumstances everything is a crapshoot! The government ran out of small business grants/loans already, but small businesses is considered up to 500 employees; that's not small business! 

22 hours ago, just me said:

$1.29 Ohio.

I guess this stay at home should give everyone a slight glimpse into what a POW goes through. 

Charley

22 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Except for the torture and starvation part... :wub:

22 hours ago, just me said:

That's why I used the word slight.

Charley

As a bit of an expert regarding gasoline prices, having been buying it for about 60 years, I feel moved to comment, although with serious reservations. Healthy at home, with hobbies, (automotive and otherwise), with food, with all the contact and entertainment available through modern technology, comfortable bed, hot shower, clean water at the turn of the tap, clean clothes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc etc, etc, etc, etc, (please take this opportunity to count and reflect on your Blessings), with the ability to go out to take care of essential needs, (and yes, the freedom to compare prices of, and purchase gasoline, then to take one of your favorite cars which you have just fueled-up for a short reconnaissance run in the extremely light traffic), I say again healthy at home with constitutional rights, (and yes, quarantine is a recognized and accepted function of society when conditions deem it necessary), YOU, Charley, and anyone and everyone who has never lost all the above and more, (and by extension being subject to interrogation by some third-world military intelligence unit - unpleasant beyond your comprehension), have absolutely NO idea whatsoever of ............................ what goes on .....................               ZERO !         NADA !      Not even a nanosecond peep through the keyhole.     ZILCH !      And you and most people are very fortunate to really know nothing of this ugly horror.       No, Charley, not even "slight".       You would have to be CAPTIVE or CAPTOR, INTERROGATOR or INTERROGATEE  to understand.      Please try to forget what I have just written; just enjoy burning the relatively inexpensive gasoline we have these difficult days. As I said, I am a bit of an expert. I remember during a price war in my neighborhood almost 60 years ago, paying 19.9 cents/gal. Of course inflation adjusted, that is probably more expensive than today.                              I know for a fact that I am not the only one on the forum who has BEEN THERE, (that is why I am a bit of an expert regarding gasoline prices  - these days the  nightmares are much fewer and less intense after the passage of decades),              today, despite the serious reservations I mentioned at the outset, I am just plain,     -     Carl          Please have a nice day,  🙂,  and remember P.O.W.s never do.

P.S.  In Seattle at the Arco at Northgate Way and Roosevelt,  92 octane premium is $299.9 cash. Arco in Lake Forrest Park is $233.9 cash for the 87 octane. 10% ethanol. Under two bucks East of the mountains.

P.P.S.  Why not cheap gas up and take one of your antiques to tend to permitted necessities

8256941D-E365-4FD3-B03C-84F4658F2F1E.jpeg

B0714C20-BEFA-4AF1-B611-96E9AFE7D716.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add P.P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, C Carl said:

As a bit of an expert regarding gasoline prices, having been buying it for about 60 years, I feel moved to comment, although with serious reservations. Healthy at home, with hobbies, (automotive and otherwise), with food, with all the contact and entertainment available through modern technology, comfortable bed, hot shower, clean water at the turn of the tap, clean clothes, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc etc, etc, etc, etc, (please take this opportunity to count and reflect on your Blessings), with the ability to go out to take care of essential needs, (and yes, the freedom to compare prices of, and purchase gasoline, then to take one of your favorite cars which you have just fueled-up for a short reconnaissance run in the extremely light traffic), I say again healthy at home with constitutional rights, (and yes, quarantine is a recognized and accepted function of society when conditions deem it necessary), YOU, Charley, and anyone and everyone who has never lost all the above and more, (and by extension being subject to interrogation by some third-world military intelligence unit - unpleasant beyond your comprehension), have absolutely NO idea whatsoever of ............................ what goes on .....................               ZERO !         NADA !      Not even a nanosecond peep through the keyhole.     ZILCH !      And you and most people are very fortunate to really know nothing of this ugly horror.       No, Charley, not even "slight".       You would have to be CAPTIVE or CAPTOR, INTERROGATOR or INTERROGATEE  to understand.      Please try to forget what I have just written; just enjoy burning the relatively inexpensive gasoline we have these difficult days. As I said, I am a bit of an expert. I remember during a price war in my neighborhood almost 60 years ago, paying 19.9 cents/gal. Of course inflation adjusted, that is probably more expensive than today.                              I know for a fact that I am not the only one on the forum who has BEEN THERE, (that is why I am a bit of an expert regarding gasoline prices  - these days the  nightmares are much fewer and less intense after the passage of decades),              today, despite the serious reservations I mentioned at the outset, I am just plain,     -     Carl          Please have a nice day,  🙂,  and remember P.O.W.s never do.

P.S.  In Seattle at the Arco at Northgate Way and Roosevelt,  92 octane premium is $299.9 cash. Arco in Lake Forrest Park is $233.9 cash for the 87 octane. 10% ethanol. Under two bucks East of the mountains.

P.P.S.  Why not cheap gas up and take one of your antiques to tend to permitted necessities

8256941D-E365-4FD3-B03C-84F4658F2F1E.jpeg

B0714C20-BEFA-4AF1-B611-96E9AFE7D716.jpeg

Cheers Carl 

Charley

MVIMG_20200417_142839.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, C Carl said:

Very well said, Carl. Attached is a photo of the sticker on the rear window of my F150. May all of these REAL HEROES rest in peace....

BF9C281B-1BBD-498D-83E2-C831BB844166.jpeg

Last time I paid 12c/gal was in 1967 (well premium was 14c) .

Be glad you never need to experience a benjo ditch.

My dad was a traveling salesman and we stopped in Marshfield Wisconsin for gas. There was a "gas war" going on and we paid 13.9 cents per gallon and got a "free gift" as well. This was 1970...

Just two days ago I returned from Brownsville Texas home to Wisconsin. Cheapest price I paid was 95.9 in Wisconsin. Most every where else it was $1.19.9 to $2.29.9 a gallon.

14 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I remember the  gas station on US 41 where I worked in 1970 when a gas war dropped reg to 27.9. Lowest I ever paid(cheapskate  owner did not give us our $.02 a gallon discount at that price)

Which one? My brother worked at the one at 41 and Buckley Road. I think it was a Texaco. He also worked at one at the corner of Glen Flora and Lewis Ave. in Waukegan. I worked at Jerry's Tex-Gas at Grand Avenue and Butrick for a while...

23 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Which one? My brother worked at the one at 41 and Buckley Road. I think it was a Texaco. He also worked at one at the corner of Glen Flora and Lewis Ave. in Waukegan. I worked at Jerry's Tex-Gas at Grand Avenue and Butrick for a while...

Gas for Less south of Buckley Rd.. Now it is the Full Moon Restaurant.  Owned by Lake County Petroleum (now defunct). They also owned the truck wash and gas station on Rt 120 in Park City.  The Old Lake County petroleum repair shops just south of there was where a couple of the GM Futurliners were stored for several years. i remember you mentioning Jerry's as that is where I bought gas for several years.  If you recall I also worked at Bud Wades Texaco in Waukegan kitty corner from Quonset. The former Texaco on 41 was a car stereo place for a long time and now is empty..  That whole area is very built up now. Dark dreary area is gone. Fast food places, Knause showroom, Last Detail Classic Car showroom, Gas stations as well.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

Our gas is from $2.50 a gal. for unleaded regular at Costco to nearly 4 bucks in town.  I get corn-free 89 octane for my oldies and motorscooters at a service area you have to be a member of and today it was $3.33 a gal.

AUD$1.18 per liter for 98 RON which works out to about about US$2.70 a gallon for 93 AKI - I was  a bit surprised that the Golf needed such high octane fuel, given that a lot of its competitors only needed 95/91 

Also, we don't really have ethanol fuel in Victoria - you'd have to go out of your way to buy it 

8 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Gas for Less south of Buckley Rd.. Now it is the Full Moon Restaurant.  Owned by Lake County Petroleum (now defunct). They also owned the truck wash and gas station on Rt 120 in Park City.  The Old Lake County petroleum repair shops just south of there was where a couple of the GM Futurliners were stored for several years. i remember you mentioning Jerry's as that is where I bought gas for several years.  If you recall I also worked at Bud Wades Texaco in Waukegan kitty corner from Quonset. The former Texaco on 41 was a car stereo place for a long time and now is empty..  That whole area is very built up now. Dark dreary area is gone. Fast food places, Knause showroom, Last Detail Classic Car showroom, Gas stations as well.

I remember Gas for Less and the truck wash on Belvedere. Quonset was at Grand and McAree. I went through Carmel with a guy named Ron Kaiser who was a cook there and who eventually opened up his own pizza place up near Fatman's. I spent a lot of time there too. Did you know Tiny? Speaking of knowing people, did you know Nick at City Auto Parts (junkyard) on Washington Street near 41? I think that most of the car guys around Waukegan knew him. Did you know Bots (Ken Botsford) who owned the Strawberry Fields head shop on Washington Street across from the Robert Hall clothing store? My brother lived right next to SF. Did you ever go to Night Gallery? I saw Cheap Trick there about 10 times in 1976-77 before they became famous. They would play from 2-5:30 AM and the place would always be packed with people from Chicago to Milwaukee. They were the only club in the area open after 2 because Park City sold them a permit so they could play late. Those were the good old days.... :)

13 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

My dad was a traveling salesman and we stopped in Marshfield Wisconsin for gas. There was a "gas war" going on and we paid 13.9 cents per gallon and got a "free gift" as well. This was 1970...

Just two days ago I returned from Brownsville Texas home to Wisconsin. Cheapest price I paid was 95.9 in Wisconsin. Most every where else it was $1.19.9 to $2.29.9 a gallon.

I forgot to mention that the station that charged .95 [near me] gives a free 12 ounce can of soda with a minimum 8 gallon purchase. Filled up both my Reattas and power equipment gas can and got 2 sodas [2 trips].

Mark Gregory, I am getting more than 2 months to the gallon in my Honda Metropolitan....50cc scooter that gets over 100 mpg !  I even take the trash to the dump with it...  Our Ranger and Miata that used to be daily drivers are getting none to the gallon as they have been setting, ha !

IMG_3774.JPG

9 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I remember Gas for Less and the truck wash on Belvedere. Quonset was at Grand and McAree. I went through Carmel with a guy named Ron Kaiser who was a cook there and who eventually opened up his own pizza place up near Fatman's. I spent a lot of time there too. Did you know Tiny? Speaking of knowing people, did you know Nick at City Auto Parts (junkyard) on Washington Street near 41? I think that most of the car guys around Waukegan knew him. Did you know Bots (Ken Botsford) who owned the Strawberry Fields head shop on Washington Street across from the Robert Hall clothing store? My brother lived right next to SF. Did you ever go to Night Gallery? I saw Cheap Trick there about 10 times in 1976-77 before they became famous. They would play from 2-5:30 AM and the place would always be packed with people from Chicago to Milwaukee. They were the only club in the area open after 2 because Park City sold them a permit so they could play late. Those were the good old days.... :)

Kaiser’s is still on 21 next to the Point pancake house. I have never been in it but did know a woman who worked there for years(now sadly deceased).  Went to City quite a bit to keep junk running. Vaguely remember Nick.  City has moved a few times and has a small yard across the street from where they were. They also took over the old Hy-Way yard at 41 and 173. Hy sold out a long time ago. Was a Pick-n-Pull for a while as well. I knew several large guys nicknamed Tiny so I am not sure of who you mean. The man who owned Fatman’s died several years ago and others now are operating it.Still very popular when we are  not under lockdown. Only knew about Night Gallery and other Park City establishments by reputation. By 1976 I had a wife and first child( of three) and had to spend most of my time working. Or trying to keep cars running.  Did you know John Sigman?  At least I think that is how he spelled it. I worked with him for a while at Gas for Less. Drove a really nice 54 Chevy two door. I thought he knew everyone. Cause everyone knew him.

6 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I forgot to mention that the station that charged .95 [near me] gives a free 12 ounce can of soda with a minimum 8 gallon purchase. Filled up both my Reattas and power equipment gas can and got 2 sodas [2 trips].

Reminds me of ancient times and giveaways with a fill up. What was old is new again!

15 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Did you know John Sigman?  At least I think that is how he spelled it. I worked with him for a while at Gas for Less. Drove a really nice 54 Chevy two door. I thought he knew everyone. Cause everyone knew him.

That name doesn't sound familiar. Did you know John Kukla? I think he still has a red '70 Chevelle SS that he's had for many years. He may own an auto repair facility in Waukegan. I went through grade school with him at St. Anastasia. I think he lived on Messina near Ash Street. Tiny was the guy who owned Fatman's but I don't remember what his real name was. I remembered Nick's last name-Peruski....

SPOILER ALERT!

I just couldn't let this pass. 

I'm getting ready to flash the new engine in my Corvette and I wanted some ethanol free gas, which is pretty hard to find here in SoCal. But they do have Sunoco 100 octane e-free race fuel at the pump in Indio, CA. 

It's pretty steep @ $9.95 gallon, but I'll just assume this is also a discounted price due to the coronavirus pandemic. 😄

Sorry to skew all your great prices.

20200418_170428.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GregLaR said:

SPOILER ALERT!

I'm getting ready to flash the new engine in my Corvette and I wanted some ethanol free gas, which is pretty hard to find here in SoCal. But they do have Sunoco 100 octane e-free race fuel at the pump in Indio, CA. 

It's pretty steep @ $9.95 gallon, but I'll just assume this is also a discounted price due to the coronavirus pandemic. 😄

20200418_170428.jpg

Ouch

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

SPOILER ALERT!

20200418_170428.jpg

I gotta sit down

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Lebowski said:

That name doesn't sound familiar. Did you know John Kukla? I think he still has a red '70 Chevelle SS that he's had for many years. He may own an auto repair facility in Waukegan. I went through grade school with him at St. Anastasia. I think he lived on Messina near Ash Street. Tiny was the guy who owned Fatman's but I don't remember what his real name was. I remembered Nick's last name-Peruski....

John Kukla is familiar  Can't put a face with the name.  Found these:   https://waukegan-il.opendi.us/2627475.html  and  https://www.mylife.com/john-kukla/e457980711096  I know where the repair shop is as do you I suspect.. Just across from Jerry's former location.Tiny from Fatmans  is gone, Heard that he had a heart attack in his apartment above the bar. People heard him  fall but by the time they got to him it was too late. Cannot confirm exact details but he has been gone for several years now. 

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

SPOILER ALERT!

20200418_170428.jpg

You would think that if you spend $160 for 16 gallons of fuel that they would throw in the damn car wash for free! :D

• Thanks 1

The price of oil per barrel is still falling.

In fact, it fell precipitously just in the last couple

of days.  The last I checked, West Texas Intermediate

crude had been about $21 a barrel, down from $50

earlier this year.  Today, the same grade is down to

$11 per barrel.

Let's see whether this new low gets transferred to

gasoline at the pump.