Best vendor for 322 engine rebuild components

Hello,

Getting ready to do a complete rebuild on my late Uncle Ziggy's 56 Roadmaster. The engine will be out next weekend and off to the engine shop. I would appreciate any feedback you folks may have on the various suppliers out there for the components. Kanter, Egge, etc... Who has the best quality parts for a 1956 322 V-8? Any help and experience greatly appreciated.

Well UZ,

Felpro still makes the complete engine gasket set FS 7613 SH-2 this includes the original style high compression "tin" head gaskets. I bought bearings and rings from Kanter, the rings are Grant brand. Kanter is ok to deal with, aslo check Cars Inc. in New Jersey-very good to deal with have NOS parts.

Really you should use your engine rebuilder to get the parts he will or should know where and who to buy from, and price is practically the same-that's the best route.

One last note NO PART for this engine has to be custom made so run away if you hear that! These were very popular and made from 53-56 and also used in the GMC trucks, so the parts are out there still.

PS what kind of Roadmaster do you guys have???!!! 56 Roadmasters are COOL!!!

It is a 56 Roadmaster 4 door hardtop. My Uncle Ziggy bought new late in Oct. 1956 from Massey Buick here in Pittsburgh. It was his second car so it only has 35,000 miles on it. Everything is original and we are fortunate to have all the paperwork from the purchase and throughout the years. It is Castle Grey with a white roof. Original paint still on car and not in terrible shape. A couple of rust holes around the rear quarters, but that's it. Engine has been idle for 11 years and is a little bound up. My wife won't ever sell it and wants to drive it on nice sunny days! Complete restoration underway....

Thanks for help!

Matt Stauber

Pittsburgh, PA

Yep,

The 4dr HDTP is a nice looking car. I had one of those as a donor for my 2dr HDTP it was sea foam green. Good luck with your engine rebuild, too bad it's stuck with such low miles I bet it ran good.

I'm sure you've already considered this, but did you try unsticking it? If it has been garaged it probably is not stuck that hard. Try soaking cylinders and valves with a good penetrating oil such as Kroil or PB Blaster. Then after a week you can get a bar on the flywheel teeth through the access plates on the tranny and between bar and jogging the starter you may get her loose.

I have had substantial luck with many engines this way including some of my 322 nailheads. Just carefully tap the valves on the rockers too to loosen them up.

You may even have a mouse nest it the bell housing and believe me nuts and hair will bind the engine tight.

Just a suggestion, as I can't see a 35K engine needing such major work like you plan. unless it was burned out by severe misuse or out side with the hood up.

Hey UZ just to give some help on a very hard to find part. If your RM has power brakes they are Delco and the correct MASTER cylinder overhaul kit GM part # is 5455147 CARS INC has a few NOS kits left I bought two they are VERY VERY VERY hard to find as this is one year set up, NOT available at parts stores and the brake guys in Hemmings won't sell you a kit or give suppliers. It took me over two years to track down the right part number. I have the 56 Master Parts Book now so if you need any part numbers feel free to email me.

If you have standard brakes master cylinder kit GM # 5455765. Wheel cylinder repair kits are still available as well as hoses through NAPA, you just have to get the guy to look in the books not in the computer.

Good Luck

Scott,

Thanks for the information and yes, it does have power brakes so I will begin searching immediately! Yea, tried all the tricks to unlock the engine, but no luck. Not too bad to do this rebuild and make it purr just right. My goal is to make it look like the day Uncle Ziggy drove it home. Stupid, huh? But what the heck is 5 years and whole lot of cash....I can't sell the darn thing because my wife put the title in her name! To top it off, it will never be referred to as our car, it will always be Uncle Ziggy's car. Worse things in life to have to deal with than that! Thanks again for the help. I am sure I will be tapping into this forum many, many, many times with stupid questions.

Matt Stauber

Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Matt,

Best of luck in restoring "Uncle Ziggy's" '56. I know exactly what you're facing, since my wife and I purchased "Jay's '56" in 1986. A brand new identity was clearly in order, so we quickly repainted that gem from blue and white to RED and white. Now, it was BOB & JUDY'S '56!!!

The Buick 322 motor god was with us, and it didn't need anything more than a complete detail job in the winter months. Since then, I've only changed the oil, added a little water and a belt or two. When I detailed the motor, I added ice water to the cooling system. Since then it has ran as cool as a cucumber, even during parades!

The 322 in our '56 Special has taken us to such places as: Indianapolis, Cleveland, South Bend, Detroit, Buffalo, Kokomo, and dozens of state-wide tours around Michigan, not to mention dozens of local car shows and cruises.

Would I feel safe driving "Baby" and her 322 anywhere? Jump on board, let's go!

Best of luck in your restoration,

Bob Leets

Flint, MI grin.gif