I just hate seeing these "as new" children's bikes going to the "crusher' along with all the other junk. 

I am sure that one of our grand childrens friends will be happy to give it a home.  I  think that I can afford to spend $20 if necessary,

All I need to do is to find an "online Bicycle shop" that can supply a tyre and inner tube for a Kid's bike".

This one looks as if it has been ridden around the block once. There is barely even a scratch on it.

It has not even had enough use as to make it dirty.

Bernie j.

Posted (edited)

Hello again

We have just come in from our (almost) daily after lunch walks, While out I have picked up yet another "As New" 24 in wheel, boy's "Mountain Bicycle".

This one has 18 speed gears, front and rear suspension and front and rear hand brakes. There is not even any sign of wear on the brake "blocks". DSCN6984.thumb.jpg.bfe132062aeb6011f48d47c98937917a.jpgDSCN6985.thumb.jpg.0be47bbb4984057f96ac13c4a81c6593.jpg

Just a little scratching on the paint in one or two places. Otherwise "as new".   In fact after closer examination thye scratches are in fact not scratches but part of the colour scheme with the apparent scratches transfers carefully applied to make it look "used".

From picking it up to place it into the Peugeots boot (trunk) I quickly became aware just why children do not want to ride these Bicycles. They are just far too heavy for an 8 or 10 year old to push up hills. 

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Bernie,

Sounds like you have a serial bike thief in your neighborhood.  Takes any available bike and rides it as much as s/he wants and then abandons it. Not uncommon in the States. If there are serial numbers on the bikes, your local gendarmes may have a report that would allow you to return them to their rightful owners.

Thanks for the warning.

In this case at least the Bike was included in a pile of other "Hard Garbage" put out in a pile for the Local Council Garbage Collection team to pick up.

What I object to is that the collection truck has a "Compactor Function" that crushes everything thrown in ready to go to "land fill". Anything and everything is totally destroyed in the process.

Bernie j.

Yes I remember that at the time we were amazed. I can assure you that to the very best of our knowledge there was no connection between that truck &or trailer with "LAG"-onda.

It is just typical of the surprises in store for people brave enough to drive their 80 plus year old cars on European Roads. You should try it some time. We enjoy every moment. Our cruising speed is very much the same as many of these large freight carrying trucks. About 60 mph or 100 kph.

Bernie j.

With our present Covid Lock-down I have resisted the temptation to take the Rapier out for a quick dash around the neighbourhood. But today I did start it up and let it run at a fast tick-over until it was warmed up. I then gave it a dust off and a general tidy up before putting  the tonneau cover back on. Perhaps next time I can take it down the road to the bottom of the hill, always remembering that we have a strict limit of no more than 5 Kms from home.

Bj.

Your lockdown prevents drives in cars? Even in total lock down here in Southern Florida, they expressly allowed going for drives.........it’s good for ones mental health. There should be zero risk as long as you don’t stop. I don’t know if your in the city or country, but there must be a road that is off the beaten path so you can have some enjoyable drive without any issues. I took our old car to the grocery store.......got lots of waves. We are now just about open 100 percent. Folks over fifty are doing fine....as they follow all the rules........and it seems everyone is 100 percent compliant with mask and distance..........the younger generation are having a tough go of it.......taking too many risks......and are now 90 percent of all new cases. Please stay safe, but if possible do drive your car.......it’s the best medicine. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Thank you edinmass

I am just like everyone else, going through some withdrawal symptoms. I have sold the Renault but it canot be collected until the interstate buyer is permitted to travel.

Meanwhile I am tidying up some overdue negelected jobs.

I have just ordered a windscreen washer pump (online) so I can replace the dead one in the Peugeot. In addition to being a "Roadworthy Item" is just makes life that little bit easier having one that works. 

I really hope to start the process of buying back the Three Litre Lagonda Special, I sold "almost finished" a very long time ago.

I need to be able to travel arcoss town, to be able to identify the actual house where it has been hiding untouched for all those years.

Bj

• Like 1

Hello again, It is now three days later and very little has changed, In order to stop me from going totally mad this afternoon I have dismantled a "Clear Hooter" an after market version of the Lucas Altette horn, After checking it using a battery charger as a source of 12 volts, It is now working and I am waiting for the paint to dry before I put it back on the shelf along with other (potentially) "useful parts".  See previous post, I still am living in the hope that I may be able to buy this potentially "interesting" car back but until our "lock-down" is lifted there is very little I can do.  I cannot remember exactly what went with this (project) car when I sold it some years ago. While a little bit weird, this is probably the best of the unfinished projects that I need to investigate re it's availability. That it is so close and yet so far away tends to be frustrating. There "aint nuffing" I can do right now so again I still need some advanced lessons in being patient! Of course as I have probably said a million times on as many similar occasions, all I can do is to keep smiling!

Bj.

Bernie,

Seems like you are still stuck in limbo, probably driving you (and your wife) a bit crazy. Keep smiling and keep finding projects.  Mine right now is sending emails to 2700 registered voters asking for their support.  A lot less fun than refurbishing a Lucas Altette horn.

Our county is still in California's "purple" status (our governor came up with color codes for Covid recovery status), which means we cannot have any indoor dinning, drinking, etc. We are able to order out.  And, while we do not have the travel limitations you have, which I believe are wise, you still do not want to travel anywhere.  A friend of ours visited her daughter who lives 75 miles away. When she got back, ended up getting tested twice for coronavirus. Thankfully she was, ultimately, negative.

Smoke and hot weather has kept my TD grounded so, like you, I wander down to the garage occasionally to sit in it.

Cheers!

Charlie Duffy

Hiya all 

Hopefully I have got one step closer to being able to track down the "other old lag" !  

With the lock down boundaries being slightly relaxed, I may be able to investigate the present where-abouts of the Lagonda 3 Litre Special I sold quite a few years ago. It is so close and yet so far away but I hope to start some detective work in the next week or two. I believe that virtually nothing has been done to it since it left my garage doors.all those years ago. Meanwhile I still have the Renault taking up my spare garage space, so as with so many others, I need to take care not to trip over the boxes of loose parts or to knock my head climbing over the car.  

Really it is not quite that bad and it gives me an even better to tidy up my Garage/work space.  I am also slowly adding to my "Restoration Fund" having just sold a Book on Packards  1920 -1958.  I really do need to go through my book shelves and see how many of the others I have not opened in the last 20 years, are sitting there "mouldering away".

Bj.

I have just discovered I already have a very faded copy of Lagonda in the 1930s.

I was almost tempted to buy another copy on e-bay and having looked at again, I am glad that I have saved my money.

Lagonda iin the 1930s.jpeg

Looking on my bookshelf, I find that I have most of the Important Lagonda Books published in the past 50 or 60 years. 

Including the Davey & May "History of the Marque". Probably the most comprehensive book ever written on Lagondas.

If I start re-reading them all I may just live long enough to finish them.

Looking a little deeper I find that I still have four or five (run-on) copies of "Ever Keen", (216 pages)  still sitting in a box underneath my desk, should anyone like to obtain an autographed copy.  (Aust $35  plus post.)

1556912611_EverKeen.jpeg.346b40efc5b46408094e56b046787895.jpeg