NOS vs. generic ignition parts

Ken_P

Ok - last post for the night. I'm looking for opinions on NOS vs. generic but brand new on ignition parts, specifically points and condensers. My concern with new is that it is junk, and not spec'ed out exactly the same as the OEM. My concern with old is that 80ish years of storage in who knows what conditions would break-down internal components, etc?

I know it's opinion, but what are the groups thoughts?

Nothing wrong with using clean intact vintage points, condensers, switches, relays etc. I bought this parts cabinet 35? years ago and am still using this stuff, I don't know how long some of the parts have been in there but it's all been good.  I've heard that really old ignition condensers can break down over time, I don't know if that's true or not. If you want fresh new ignition parts, I would recommend buying them from your local NAPA store, their parts are not junk. I've used Standard Ignition brand parts too from my local Advance Auto Parts place and those have been fine too. ALWAYS BUY QUALITY BRAND NAME PARTS. Just my 2 cents. 

IMG_2283.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! I was concerned that modern Echlin parts might not have the same impedance specs, especially given that I cannot directly cross the old autolite parts number on the Napa website.

Or.........Just use a Pertronix module. Once and done, no condenser, no points, no dwell to set, no leaning way across the fender, no dropping that teeny little screw into the distributor. Work very well and last a long time............Bob

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Or.........Just use a Pertronix module. Once and done, no condenser, no points, no dwell to set, no leaning way across the fender, no dropping that teeny little screw into the distributor. Work very well and last a long time............Bob

Until it stops working,  then you carry the original parts in the trunk to get you back home. 

Rate of failure may not be high but there is a rate of failure.  Often on fairly new systems too.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I considered the Pertonix, but have heard to many stories of failure given the wide variations of voltage put out by the generator, even with a properly regulated system. The stock setup was good enough, I'll keep it that way

• Like 1

I can only relate my experiance.

Every one of my old gasoline powered vehicles has electronic ignition, as does my new daily driver, as well as  every other gas powered tool including my zero turn mower, a hand mower, a utility vehicle, 2 chain saws, a leaf blower, and a string trimmer. Not one set of points on my property. The oldest of my pertronix units is 23 years. Knock on wood I've had zero ignition failures in anything to date. Back in the day condenser failures did happen, along with scratched fenders, the tops of most radiators crushed from knees, screws lost into the distributor, timing one tooth off,  tools lost down distributor holes, aggravation, frustration, etc, etc, etc. ........Points! .......We don't need no stinkin points!............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

You are one of the lucky ones then.   Go with what works for you.  If it came with points I'l keep it that way.  Most distributors are fairly easy to work on.  Now those 30's to 40 's ford Units ,  that's a bit of a different story.  I know most of my cars though they don't see 10's of thousands of miles of use get everything new once and then I usually never have  to touch them again.  Seems most of these old cars need other stuff done under the hood from time to time,  so servicing the ignition is just one of those many things. 

• Like 3