So I purchased a few trim pieces for my 38 Zephyr Sedan from Knobsoup and I’m having a little trouble figuring out how to get them on.  The first ones are the glove compartment pulls.  The original holes in the door are 1 1/8” and the spacing on the new pulls looks like it’s 1 5/8”.  That can’t be right, can it?

I got a new windshield wiper knob too.  I pulled the disintegrated original off and the retractable post retracted. Go figure.  Does the stainless steel bezel  unscrew?  Is it threaded?  Can I get to it without pulling the dash apart?
I also got some escutcheons for the window and the door handles.  Are the handles “pressed” on like newer models?  Can I get them off with a leverage bar or a pry bar?  If not, how?
I could use a little help, please.  Thank you!

Check with Knob Soup about their knobs.  They are cast from known good parts so they should fit.   Keith Lee will help you figure it out.  You might have to drill some additional holes  in the new glove box handle so the screws will fit exactly.  Good luck with it!

• Thanks 1

Even though the glove box pulls and the ash tray pulls look a like the mounting holes are spaced different. The wiper bezel is threaded with a nut on the underside. You’ll need to remove it to get it all back together. The shaft has a spring on it so when you removed the knob the shaft fell through.  To remove the door handles simply push in on the door panel at the old escutcheon and it will expose the base of the handle , rotate the handle and you’ll see a pin, drive the pin out with a drift or similar tool and the handle will slide off the square shaft. 

• Thanks 1

Ken, the ash tray pull was easy!  Everything lined up and the pull went on without a hitch.  I had the old bolts for the glove box handle but between the old and new bolts I can’t seem to get the holes for the pull to line up in the radius of the pocket on the door.

The shaft for the wiper went down into the dashboard.  I am hoping I can remove the stainless steel bezel and maybe pull out the wiper pull shaft with some needle-nosed pliers. I am not sure how it is attached and I don’t want to break it.

Thank you for the feedback.  I am waiting for some help to do my carburetor re-build so I am trying to tackle these little items by myself.  My longtime mechanic and friend passed away unexpectedly this past November and I am not as mechanical as I’d like to be.  I appreciate your time.

Sean....there should be a nut that mounts the wiper control to the dash that goes under the knob.  The knob alone won't hold it properly in place.  You should be able to find a nut and a thin washer at a hardware store that would properly mount the wiper control.  It will be a very thin nut probably about 3/8"  threaded onto the shaft that fell inside the dash when the old knob was removed.  You can probably see it with a mirror and flashlight and just push it back through the  hole in the dash and put a nut on it.  Good Luck!  

• Thanks 1

Keith here. I don't want to presume, are you sure you're mounting the right pulls?  the Ashtray and Glovebox pulls look alike but the mounting is different.  The screws for the Glovebox pulls mount straight down about 1/1/8" apart, like you said., The screws for the the ashtray mount on a 45 degree angle, and again about 1 5/8" apart. You may have them switched. 

glove box 1.jpg

glove box 2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If you push in the panel, remove the pin from the handle, pull of the handle off, put the escutcheon plate and trim piece around the handle, how does one get the handle back on and the pin back in the panel?