Redoing the brakes on a 26

Mpgp1999

I have tried to adjust the brakes for YEARS with no success. I am just going to start from scratch. First of all the drums are severely scored. The pedal goes to the floor. The brakes are dragging. If I adjust it so the pedal does not go to the floor the car will not move. Before I take everything apart is there any last efforts I should try. 

When all else fails, read the instructions.  Brake adjustment is well covered in the Book of Information.  Key points are that the brake levers should lean backwards and not be pulled over centre, clearance between the drums and linings should be set with a .015" feeler gauge and the pedal should engage about 1/2" above the floorboard.  All these are aimed at maximum leverage, the key requirement of mechanical brakes.

• Like 1

To start the band is not round. There is either too much clearance or no clearance. If I back off the first two adjustments they do not even touch. I tightened everything up to where the brakes work well. After a mile they were smoking a lot. I loosened them slightly and let them cool. The brakes did not hold and still got hot. 

The brake band should be forced into roundness at four adjustment points.  The first is the top bolt (with lock nut) which exerts pressure through a flat spring bearing on the back of the band.  The second is the bottom rear bolt which goes through the saddle riveted to the band and the square protrusion on the backing plate.  This bolt also bears on the band and its position is secured by a coil spring which fits into the square protrusion.  Finally, the adjustment is maintained  by a lock wire through the head of the bolt.

The last two adjustment points are, of course, at the front of the band which bring the forward ends down or up as required.  If all these are adjusted to give a 15 thou clearance between the drum and lining the band will be round.  Again, see the Book of Instruction.