Can anyone give some information about a 1911 Chev step and a Mckee light

Mark Gregory

12 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

For the sake of general automotive history what was the Chevy step plate used on? 

Bob

Hi Bob

I think it may have been used on either the 1918-22 Chevy Express light truck or possibly on the Chevrolet Model T one ton truck from the same era. It will be going under the right rear corner of my '21 Chevy's box,just behind the right rear fender.

Jim

1921 Chevrolet Roadster Pickup 003.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks for the quick replies! It looked like a buggy step plate, my first reaction was that it was a fake. Did Chevrolet make a truck before Ford?  Bob 

I can only tell you that Chevrolet offered a light delivery or express based on the 490 chassis starting in 1918.The same year.a Chevy Model T one ton came out.

I know Ford T roadsters could have their "pill boxes" removed and be fitted with an assortment of boxes. A quick Google check says that the first factory Ford truck,the TT,was introduced in 1917.

Attached is an ad for the 1920 one ton truck and a sales picture of the express.

1920 Chevrolet Model T trucks.jpg

1919 Chevrolet express.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

Ford did offer a light panel delivery on the model T chassis  for one year in 1912. They are affectionately known as "pie wagons". There was also a small delivery offered on one of the small pre-T chassis a few years before the model T, but few were made. Most that were made,  were not sold, but used by Ford. I "think", if I recall correctly, those actually predated the Ford Motor Company and were were among the few experimental vehicles that "Ford" built around 1902.

As for the Chevrolet step? It may well have been an early Chevy truck item, although I don't claim any knowledge there. As far as I know, there never was a Chevrolet buggy or other horse drawn carriage, at least not one connected to the Chevrolet automobile. William Durant partnered with the Chevrolet brothers about 1910 expressly for the purpose of designing and building automobiles. Durant was manipulative, and greedy. The partnership fell apart after only a couple years, and the Chevrolet Brothers went on to other things. Durant continued to use the Chevrolet automobile as his leverage to regain control of General Motors from which he had been ousted a couple years before.

There could have been a Chevrolet carriage company? But it would likely have not been related to the Chevrolet brothers, as they had only recently emigrated from France during the dawn of the automobile. Their first racing exploits had in fact been in Europe.

Regardless, I am pleased that interesting step has found a good home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received the Chevy step in the mail today. I knew that it was somewhat bent from the pictures.A certain amount of rearward bend is fine,to clear the rear fender.I would like to straighten it to the point where the step is horizontal to the mounting bracket. I'm not sure if it's malleable or straight cast iron. Before I take it to my local machinist/fabricator/blacksmith, any suggestions ?

Jim

IMG_1652.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

My go-to machinist/fabricator/blacksmith/handyman came through again and straightened the cast iron Chevrolet step. It's on the truck and looks like it always was.

IMG_1688.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1