Auburn vacumn control

Mike Dube

Can anyone explain the inner working of the vacumn valve located at the freewheeling unit on an 8-100A? I had the transmission out of mine earlier this year, and since reassembly, the only thing not operating is the dual ratio. A lot of Auburn guys I know figure this is no big deal, but I like everthing on my cars to work. The freewheeling works fine, and I didn't think I had disturbed the vacumn lines in its removal. I can find no drawing of, or explanation of this valve internals in my literature (voluminous).

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

according to my mechanic, who rebuilt my 852 columbia, the vacuum cylinder seal is probably dried up, this is made of leather or some such material, and should be easy to fix. he says that these are relatively simple valves that either work or they dont, not lots of moving parts in there, this being the main one.

he has a diagram I cand send to you if you need it.

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn. I think my literature shows the one at the read end, but not the one at the freewheeling. This is the one that makes sure you are in freewheel mode before you can shift the rear axle. Likely it is a similiar setup only smaller. Under the floorboard there is a rod connecting the freewheel lever with a valve (at least on 8-100As) a little bigger than a D cell battery. It interupts the big vacumn line running aft. This is the one I mean, as I didn't touch anything at the axle. Is this the one your are talking about?

Mike

I dont know. I am quoting walt here after reading your question to him. He will be over tomorrow afternoon to work on the davinci motor, so I will get back to you after then. But they are probably basically the same, regardless of location. If you didnt disturb the rear end then it must be the one! (or at least the first one to try)

Shawn