UPDATE — Help With My ‘26 Dodge Brothers, Eye-Burning Smoke

DB26

Hello everyone,

I have this posted in the Dodge Brothers forums, but wanted to get more exposure and opinions here in the technical forum. 

Basically, the engine has a weird loping idle that comes and goes. Sometimes it runs smooth. It smokes when revved, it’s white-ish and does NOT smell sweet and is VERY eye burning. There was raw fuel in the intake when I removed the carb. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)

You mention eye watering which to me implies the mixture is too rich. Go through the carby more. Not an expert myself but the engine sounds a little  retarded in ignition timing. A rich mixture can sound the same. Following that, the hunting can also be caused by the ignition advancing and retarding on loose or broken advance weights, or slack in the distributor drive  right through to the camshaft gears(chain?) . It ‘snaps’ over the cam lobes at low speed. As you rev it up this disappears. This is a start , excluding things like sticky valves and leaky inlet manifolds and crappy fuel etc.Keep going. All good fun. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, frededwarrds said:

You mention eye watering which to me implies the mixture is too rich. Go through the carby more. Not an expert myself but the engine sounds a little  retarded in ignition timing. A rich mixture can sound the same. Following that, the hunting can also be caused by the ignition advancing and retarding on loose or broken advance weights, or slack in the distributor drive  right through to the camshaft gears(chain?) . It ‘snaps’ over the cam lobes at low speed. As you rev it up this disappears. This is a start , excluding things like sticky valves and leaky inlet manifolds and crappy fuel etc.Keep going. All good fun. 

Thank you. Very good point! I don’t know if the weights are working correctly. I will add this to the list, among the others. 

Rig up a pointer(bent wire under a bolt) for the front pulley like modern engines have and put a mark on the pulley roughly where TDC is.  Get a timing lighten to it and if  white mark on the pulley jumps around it is a dead giveaway. It doesn’t have to be the crank pulley. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, frededwarrds said:

Sorry I’ll start again..... get a timing light and shine on to the pulley and if the mark, white marker is best, jumps around it is a dead giveaway.  Preemptive text. I love it!,,,

Very good idea. I will do this too. Do you know if a 6 volt system will work with a normal timing light? 

Sorry I can’t answer that. Somewhere here there is thread on 12v timing lights being used on 6v with external power source. I had an old cheapie that only plugged into the high tension. You had to use it in the dark mind you !! 15-20000 volts is the same whatever the primary voltage is. I’m I bit ignorant on the 26 dodge. My brothers 23 Ute was 12 volt with the big starter/generator. Very clever design. I always thought that Chrysler tried to lead the way with many of their innovations. 

Sounds to me like you have a problem with your vacuum tank.  There have been posts where excessive fuel in the intake manifold can be traced back to the vacuum tank mechanism not shutting off when the tank is full causing fuel to be sucked into the manifold through the vacuum line.  Generally this is caused by a small brass seat coming loose in the diecast tank top and not allowing the needle to seat properly.  Have you checked your oil level?  When experiencing this problem raw fuel can enter the crankcase sometimes resulting in bearing failure.

• Thanks 1

Mpgp1999

For anyone who reads this post and knows about the standardStewart carburetor, there motor lags. The carburetor farts and pops. It is recently rebuilt. I recently rebuilt thevacuum tank because it was pouring raw fuel down thevacuum line.

Perhaps Mpqp1999 may be able to help.

• Thanks 1

Well, I swapped carbs and almost have it dialed in, but my battery died. So more adjusting tomorrow (and a new battery soon)

BUT...

I took a video of the exhaust pipe as she was running and I was wrong. It IS indeed black smoke coming from the exhaust. So obviously I’m burning rich somehow. More tests this week to further diagnose the issue, including: further adjustment of carb, compression test, analysis of distributor weights and movement, vacuum tank operation. 

Here is a video of the exhaust smoke:

Well I just couldn’t resist. I went out there to see if the battery charged, it did. 

I did bump up the idle. 

I didn’t film the exhaust This time, but did film my issues with adjusting the carb.  

I followed the procedures for setting a bench adjustment in the Stewart Carb, which includes:

Seating the metering valve, just lifting it off its seat, and then adjusting the metering pin 1/16 down toward the gear casing. 

I then got the engine hot and tried to put the dash control all the way in. This lowered rpms significantly and almost killed the engine. I tried to adjust the knurled screw but the dash control was no where near being seated. 

Here I am trying to push the dash control down to normal position:

Am I missing something? 

Edited just now by DB26 (see edit history)

•  
Edited by DB26 (see edit history)

DB 26 I would suggest that if the vacuum tank is faulty (fuel being sucked along the vacuum line) there is no alternative but to correct this problem first.   The  problem can be intermittent as sometimes the small brass seat can position correctly and seal but other times it will not resulting in the fuel issue.