56 Buick

Crankcase vent system on 56

Posted (edited)

Hi

Anyone ever clean the steel filters inside the valve covers that filter the crankcase fumes?

These are the filters at the top of the 2 crankcase vent tubes or pipes running down from the top of the engine each side at the rear.

As I understand it when the car is moving the air moving past the pipe outlets, syphons crankcase fumes out and away under the car. The air is drawn into the engine through the oil filler caps. 

Not sure but I would expect this means that when the car is not moving i.e. idling then the crankcase fumes will exit through the oil filler caps?

Edited by 56 Buick
Typo (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Posted (edited)

The caps do vent when the car is not moving. I use carb cleaner to clean up the wire mesh type material. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

5 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

These are the filters at the top of the 2 crankcase vent tubes or pipes running down from the top of the engine each side at the rear.

You need to take a picture of that.  There should be vented caps on the valve covers and one road draft tube from the valley cover down the back of the engine.

My mistake. You are correct, vented caps and the one road draught tube from the valley cover. For some reason I thought there were 2. Not that I have looked but the shop manual is indicating the filter for the tube is inside the valley cover.

• Like 1

If I may butt in here, I'm finishing up a valve job, putting the parts back, came to install the draft tube. Engine is in the car, wiggled the tube down behind the engine, scratching up the newly painted tube.Got under the car to attach the bolt thru the tube bracket, and I CANNOT locate where the draft tube bracket bolt attaches! Somewhere to the bell housing? Advise appreciated.

Jerry 

RE: Crankcase vent System on a 1956

OOPS Sorry - My question about he draft tube attaching bolt---forgot to state. Buick is a '56 Century.

Jerry

Mine is a Century. I can see the tube bracket but can't exactly see where the bolt locates but it appears as though it is going to have to use a bell housing bolt. Difficult for me to get under mine at moment but if you can get under your car then it should be obvious whether it is the bell housing or something else. For reference the tube itself is sitting down between the engine and the auto trans fluid filler tube. And the bracket appears to be horizontal running square to the engine.

1 hour ago, 56 Buick said:

have to use a bell housing bolt.

Yep

56Buick & old-tank,

Thanks for your reply. Its been a few years since I removed the heads & other parts, including the draft tube. I don't recall having to undo the bell housing bolt to remove the tube, but there's a lot of things lately I don't recall. I suppose at the time I said to myself, " I'll surely  know where the tube attaches" I bagged & tagged most things, and NOT having a bolt for the tube in a baggy & marked supports your reply that the fastener is the bell housing bolt.  

Best regards,

Jerry

19 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Mine is a Century. I can see the tube bracket but can't exactly see where the bolt locates but it appears as though it is going to have to use a bell housing bolt. Difficult for me to get under mine at moment but if you can get under your car then it should be obvious whether it is the bell housing or something else. For reference the tube itself is sitting down between the engine and the auto trans fluid filler tube. And the bracket appears to be horizontal running square to the engine.

One bellhouse bolt has a threaded stud and nut that holds the bracket for the down draft tube. At least it does on my 54. 

Avgwarhawk,

Thanks, I'll look for that bolt/stud again, I don't recall seeing it when looking for a place to attach the tube.

Jerry

7 minutes ago, bunchabuix said:

Avgwarhawk,

Thanks, I'll look for that bolt/stud again, I don't recall seeing it when looking for a place to attach the tube.

Jerry

On a Dynaflow equiped 56n the road draft tube is attached to the lowest bell housing bolt on the drivers side.

20200418_145531.thumb.jpg.a7e1dc49fe0a081171b74aa58e29afc6.jpg

You can just see the edge of the bracket in this picture. The other stud/bolt mentioned is for the filler tube/ dipstick. 

On 4/18/2020 at 3:00 PM, JohnD1956 said:

On a Dynaflow equiped 56n the road draft tube is attached to the lowest bell housing bolt on the drivers side.

20200418_145531.thumb.jpg.a7e1dc49fe0a081171b74aa58e29afc6.jpg

You can just see the edge of the bracket in this picture. The other stud/bolt mentioned is for the filler tube/ dipstick. 

Ah...mine is a manual.

Can this draft tube be pulled apart from the top side of the valley cover? Or does the cover and tube have to come out as one piece? 

It comes apart. You have to twist it quite a bit to get it out while the engine is still installed. At least you have that situation with the big series cars. Not sure aboit that on the 40/60series.

The tube does detach from the cover on my 264.  Just need to wiggle it back and forth.  

Thanks for the tips and videos, old-tank, JohnD1956, avgwarhawk and dyna1955.... Drilled out the spot welds on the underneath side of the valley cover for mesh filter. It was very bad! 

20200703_185607.jpg

20200703_185625.jpg

Yeah, but what did it taste like?

• Haha 1