victorialynn2

Show me your garage.

Recommended Posts

All dressed up with nowhere to go.

lighted.jpg.79a1a8bb9d63503e7cd942a38754ccaf.jpg

 

Or alone at the ball.

016.thumb.jpg.007e70c61a4e6f55e91770f11b8832af.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

This isn't mine, but it may inspire someone who

wants a beautiful antique car in his family room!

I found it on the internet, but it's apparently from

a 1958-era Lincoln-Mercury customers' magazine.

 

Just imagine a beautiful light-filled family room,

perfect for family living and with a view of the outdoors,

with your cherished car right at hand:

 

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 2.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 3.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 1.jpg

 

 

I've always dreamed of having a house with a door where I can park my car in the living room, or maybe just a room attached to the living room where it's visible. I am glad to see I am not the only one who thought that would be awesome!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Someone above mentioned buying a house based on the garage. That isn't quite what I did, but we bought our house before we started the business and having a big garage or an area to build a big garage was important. I joked with our realtor that what I really wanted was an awesome garage with some kind of house attached. Ultimately, she found me exactly what I wanted: a 100-year-old Victorian (I love old houses almost as much as old cars) with 3/4 acre of land and a carriage house out back. It also included a newly built and very spacious 2.5-car attached garage on the house that's deep enough to handle even the limousine with room to spare (it was 3 cars wide but you can see where I commandeered a bit of it to build a mudroom and dinette in the kitchen). The carriage house will hold three cars comfortably with a decent amount of storage, and there's a full apartment upstairs where my in-laws stay when they visit (you have no idea how awesome that is). Nice to have heat, A/C, and running water with a kitchen and bathroom with a shower out there. I was originally planning to convert it to a workshop, but, of course, I was lucky enough to open the business and a facility where I could do all my car work, so the carriage house is just parking for our personal cars.

 

I always try to take a photo of the front of the house with whatever car I bring home in front. Over the years, we've created an evolution of the front of the house and the cars that we've had, which is kind of neat. The photo with the pink Chrysler and the Buick limo was taken just last week.

 

 

1615127986_2020-04-0218_00_24.thumb.jpg.acc94b8b1c15423f1e6658da48bf6ebc.jpg  1263082614_2018-08-0220_10_08.thumb.jpg.0e768a1a6291ee89d9108ae34897dd32.jpg  141323687_2018-08-0419_46_20.thumb.jpg.14f5ae583888e35aa77307190f50d2ba.jpg

 

220789413_2018-06-2508_21_13.thumb.jpg.0c99bd37ac30d96e31aaca889b93d7e9.jpg  1891692641_2018-10-3109_13_44.thumb.jpg.1bdf7cc63fbc3bd187c0ae53208cfe22.jpg  l3f988c43-m2xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg.edbbb99e3dd26a4c4810a5d1458bd0c1.jpg

 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Someone above mentioned buying a house based on the garage. That isn't quite what I did, but we bought our house before we started the business and having a big garage or an area to build a big garage was important. I joked with our realtor that what I really wanted was an awesome garage with some kind of house attached. Ultimately, she found me exactly what I wanted: a 100-year-old Victorian (I love old houses almost as much as old cars) with 3/4 acre of land and a carriage house out back. It also included a newly built and very spacious 2.5-car attached garage on the house that's deep enough to handle even the limousine with room to spare (it was 3 cars wide but you can see where I commandeered a bit of it to build a mudroom and dinette in the kitchen). The carriage house will hold three cars comfortably with a decent amount of storage, and there's a full apartment upstairs where my in-laws stay when they visit (you have no idea how awesome that is). Nice to have heat, A/C, and running water with a kitchen and bathroom with a shower out there. I was originally planning to convert it to a workshop, but, of course, I was lucky enough to open the business and a facility where I could do all my car work, so the carriage house is just parking for our personal cars.

 

I always try to take a photo of the front of the house with whatever car I bring home in front. Over the years, we've created an evolution of the front of the house and the cars that we've had, which is kind of neat. The photo with the pink Chrysler and the Buick limo was taken just last week.

 

 

1615127986_2020-04-0218_00_24.thumb.jpg.acc94b8b1c15423f1e6658da48bf6ebc.jpg  1263082614_2018-08-0220_10_08.thumb.jpg.0e768a1a6291ee89d9108ae34897dd32.jpg  141323687_2018-08-0419_46_20.thumb.jpg.14f5ae583888e35aa77307190f50d2ba.jpg

 

220789413_2018-06-2508_21_13.thumb.jpg.0c99bd37ac30d96e31aaca889b93d7e9.jpg  1891692641_2018-10-3109_13_44.thumb.jpg.1bdf7cc63fbc3bd187c0ae53208cfe22.jpg  l3f988c43-m2xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

 

 

Carriage house is 24x36?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

 

Carriage house is 24x36?

 

I never really measured it, but it's built on the foundation of an old barn (that's what the locals tell me, anyway). I think it's a bit deeper than 36 feet because I can park both the '29 Cadillac and the '41 Limited nose-to-tail on the right side (the stairs up to the apartment and a big storage closet are on the left, limiting it to one car). My gut says it might be closer to 40 feet deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I've always dreamed of having a house with a door where I can park my car in the living room, or maybe just a room attached to the living room where it's visible. I am glad to see I am not the only one who thought that would be awesome!

 

Some people here may have seen the collection

of retired jeweler Nicola Bulgari in Allentown, Pa.--

or at least heard of it.  He has an apartment overlooking

one of his car-storage areas.  (Our AACA region 

had a tour to his place, and this year the AACA Grand

National is scheduled to be there.)

 

Matt, your car facility would be perfect for such an arrangement!

 

 

Car Club 2018 Summer Tour Allentown (25).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

This isn't mine, but it may inspire someone who

wants a beautiful antique car in his family room!

I found it on the internet, but it's apparently from

a 1958-era Lincoln-Mercury customers' magazine.

 

Just imagine a beautiful light-filled family room,

perfect for family living and with a view of the outdoors,

with your cherished car right at hand:

 

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 2.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 3.jpg

1958 Lincoln Living Garage 1.jpg

There was actually a house next door to my old house I was going to try and buy that had a perfect "family room on a raised level above the underhouse garage that lent itself perfectly to this idea.  The rest of the house was above the family room and garage that were ground level built in a bank.  If i hadn't met the wife who absolutely didn't want to move to that town. as it's kind of in the middle of nowhere with a nice lake,  I probably would have bought it.  The two properties together would have ben nice and I could have rented out my house and still kept the garage for my junk.   I actually ended up selling my house to the lady that owned that one to finance my new garage.   Ironic how things turn out. 

Actually codes in many areas now won't let you build a garage space inside your house any more.  Of course what you do after your CO may be your own secret. ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2020 at 1:52 AM, 3macboys said:

Here's a picture of mine from last September during a true garage sale  - the inside holds way too much precious metal.  The building was built in 1956 I believe and was the second location for the business, the original being about half a block away that opened in 1938.  Also housed a Massey Ferguson dealership at one time.

 

Don   

20191109_191935.jpg

awesomeo.png

Edited by adalah (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of you have probably seen this but it's worth posting here. THE PERFECT CAR GUY HOUSE. 

 

image.png

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

 

 

1615127986_2020-04-0218_00_24.thumb.jpg.acc94b8b1c15423f1e6658da48bf6ebc.jpg  1263082614_2018-08-0220_10_08.thumb.jpg.0e768a1a6291ee89d9108ae34897dd32.jpg  141323687_2018-08-0419_46_20.thumb.jpg.14f5ae583888e35aa77307190f50d2ba.jpg

 

220789413_2018-06-2508_21_13.thumb.jpg.0c99bd37ac30d96e31aaca889b93d7e9.jpg  1891692641_2018-10-3109_13_44.thumb.jpg.1bdf7cc63fbc3bd187c0ae53208cfe22.jpg  l3f988c43-m2xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg.edbbb99e3dd26a4c4810a5d1458bd0c1.jpg

 

 

I really love your house, carriage house and property. And cars, too! All of it fits together nicely.

 

No modern cars?

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamesR said:

 

I really love your house, carriage house and property. And cars, too! All of it fits together nicely.

 

No modern cars?

 

Thanks for the kind words! We really like living there and eventually I'll have all the renovations done. Eventually...

 

When the weather is agreeable I often walk to work, which is about 3 miles, or drive an old car. However, we do have a few modern cars (I just walked out to the parking lot to take these shots):

 

My 2010 Cadillac CTS wagon:

552405847_2020-04-1415_17_44.thumb.jpg.8fad89e900b21913a4cdade92bbfd000.jpg

 

Melanie's 2019 Ford Focus ST (note that I have been driving the Buick for the last few days):

409138935_2020-04-1415_17_52.thumb.jpg.427e98535877901fb506ce56cd5bbd0d.jpg

 

And the 3/4-ton Suburban that only gets driven when there's a big job to do:

1197416935_2020-04-1415_18_00.thumb.jpg.afcf5da897c64f869a785497205adac9.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

A few years old but you can get the idea.

sr1.jpg

sr2a.jpg

Is that first car a ‘59 Galaxy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Is that first car a ‘59 Galaxy?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't tell from that photo. Looks like convertible trim at the leading edge of the roof. Like this one....

1959 ford-galaxie-convertible (2).jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the retractable trim may be thinner....

retractable.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James Wright said:

Some of you have probably seen this but it's worth posting here. THE PERFECT CAR GUY HOUSE. 

 

image.png

 

I've always said I need a garage with a house attached.

But a huge garage/shop in the back would be perfect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

Some people here may have seen the collection

of retired jeweler Nicola Bulgari in Allentown, Pa.--

or at least heard of it.  He has an apartment overlooking

one of his car-storage areas.  (Our AACA region 

had a tour to his place, and this year the AACA Grand

National is scheduled to be there.)

 

Matt, your car facility would be perfect for such an arrangement!

 

 

Car Club 2018 Summer Tour Allentown (25).JPG

Went on a tour of Bulgari's with the Crosley club back in 2012 that included seeing the apartment. Every room but the bathroom overlooks the garage. Great collection/garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a bit of a clean.

 

IMAG3251.thumb.jpg.d4c42f3a9c6d4ee4f9b3bf056f8b3401.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continued. The Body Shop side of the business my better other half owns half. The 58 Chevy belongs to her brother in-law. The 1960 Chevy panel truck is a project one of the guys in the shop owns. The doors to the paint booth.   

IMG_2512 (2).JPG

IMG_2513 (2).JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now